New to Nexus 4

JLogic0

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone. I just received my new Nexus 4 (this is also my first smart phone). I chose this device for it's first in-line updates and also the pure android experience. Boy is it "pure". There almost no apps beside Google ones. Look forward to learning a lot on this forum. Nexus ftw!

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard! As a pure Android experience the phone comes with only the main apps from Google but that is the beauty of it. No bloatware to worry about and you can then get the apps that suit your needs on it. There's a thread here about recommended apps that you should check out.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
one thing i like about Nexus is there are no redundant app like in Galaxy S3/S4 - S-Beam/Android Beam, S-Voice/Google Now,S-translate/Google translate.

all of Google apps are much better than its S variant. and btw, congrats.

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Congrats JLogic. I am considering getting an N4 myself. I am sick of bloatware on my one x.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

devchaube15

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The N4 was my first actual smartphone I guess, I had an Acer Liquid E before but the touch was so bad that I only used it as an ipod and to occasionally make calls and browse the internet. The N4 is great without the lack of apps because you get more storage for one, and you get what you want. Not what the carrier 'thinks' "you will need in order to live a robotic life". Also, you can make your phone, YOURS. You can use a number of themes, and launcers, even use a custom ROM for your phone which allows you to do some crazy customizations like removing the notification bar to have more real estate or change the software keys from stock to maybe bikini's! Anyway's, once you get used to it, you'll fall in love, and I guarantee you'll find something new to do with your phone everyday! The beauty of Android.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Congrats JLogic. I am considering getting an N4 myself. I am sick of bloatware on my one x.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

You will love not seeing all the worthless apps all the time. Even though you now can disable things on Android and make it vanish from your app drawer. It still remains on the phone taking up space. Wouldn't be as bad if the carriers and manufacturers treated phones and tablets like windows computers. At least on windows you can uninstall that crap.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Its good to see someone go past the Apple marketing campaign and get an android for a first smart phone. I must admit they do have an excellent marketing team.

JLogic0

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll be busy trying out all the endless supply of "apps". I guess the only down side of getting a Nexus as a first smart device is that I wont be able to fully appreciate how great it is to not have bloatware.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I guess the only down side of getting a Nexus as a first smart device is that I wont be able to fully appreciate how great it is to not have bloatware.

Picture getting frequent notifications that an app that you never use, wish was gone, but cannot remove, is ready for an update. Then, when you choose update, the app's (that you don't use, wish was gone, but cannot remove) permissions have changed, requesting access to the deepest personal secrets you have. You don't want to accept new permissions. You don't want the update. You want the app to be gone. If you don't accept the update, you will continue to get nuissance notifications about the update. There are no good options available.

Now....appreciate this and be glad you did not have to go through that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy