Display clock and notifications on 'sleep' screen?

SunBum5

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, complete noob here with regard to Android. I finally just saw the light and gave up after years and years of Nokia Symbian...

Anyway, my N8 had a feature that I really got used to having but I can't find on the Nexus 4 (just realized that I went from an N8 to an N4).

It would dimly display a clock and call/text notifications on the blank 'sleep' screen. Anytime the phone was 'sleeping' I could glance over without having to touch or unlock anything and see the time and if I had any missed calls or messages.

This is kind of like the daydream feature, but I want it available whenever the screen goes black, not just when docked or charging.

???

Thanks!

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
There is an app "Clock Plus" which (among other things) adds a daydream screen that includes clock and notifications.

While this may solve your notification problem, it will not solve your ability to force it to daydream when unplugged or undocked.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The app Light Flow (Light Flow Lite is the free version) will let you take control of your pulse notification led light. For example, when I look at my Nexus when the screen is off, if that light comes on blue - I have email, red - I missed a call, light blue - I missed a texts, etc. At a glance I know when I've missed a notification.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I really like it for notifications.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

SunBum5

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I found the clock plus thing. I'm just surprised there's not a way to put that on the sleep screen. It's one of those things that was really handy.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Obviously the N4 could ever only be half the phone the N8 was.. Google fail..

Anyways the screen on this phone is so magnificent that it would probably result in your battery lasting around 5 hours if you had this feature on your phone. I would actually be quite surprised if a phone with a similar screen had this feature.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Dashclock will display things on the lockscreen with the plugins for it. Missed call and SMS are built in.

That being said it won't keep the screen on 24/7, nor should you really. You will decrease the life of the screen and device doing that.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
In you clock app ( stock) tap the 3 tiny dots and seldct night mode. This will accomplish what you want, but.... you have to do it everytime you want it. I haven't figured out how to make it automatic

SunBum5

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, some of you aren't understanding... or I didn't explain it well enough;

The feature I'm looking for is a clock and a couple of small icons that dimly appear on an otherwise blank / black screen. The screen shuts off like it's gone to sleep, but a dim, white clock appears and stays on the entire time the screen is 'asleep'. Nokia figured out a way to do this while using a miniscule amount of battery power.

It's one of those things you don't miss unless you've had it before and realize what a useful feature it is.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Just turning this beast of a screen on consumes massive juice. Never letting it turn off fully would kill your battery in hours.

That N8 had a 360x640 3.5 inch Amoled screen, peanuts!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

uumeshh

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Well sometimes in the bargain of getting a better phone you gotta let go of some old features. Dimming the clock as mentioned above is as close you can get to what you are looking for.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, some of you aren't understanding... or I didn't explain it well enough;

The feature I'm looking for is a clock and a couple of small icons that dimly appear on an otherwise blank / black screen. The screen shuts off like it's gone to sleep, but a dim, white clock appears and stays on the entire time the screen is 'asleep'. Nokia figured out a way to do this while using a miniscule amount of battery power.

It's one of those things you don't miss unless you've had it before and realize what a useful feature it is.

you are in luck. check this app out [New App] Knock²+ Looks To Replace LED Notifications With Clean, Minimal Lockscreen Popups

Oadby Owl

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
The one in Nokia Lock Screen wouldn't damage the screen. Simply because if scrolls across screen (continuously) thereby not powering the same pixels again and again. Clever init? :)

I came here to find the solution to the same issue. I want to switch from Nokia Symbian to Android. I am comparing the features. This would have helped.

jonesdavide

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The N8 had an OLED screen compared to the Nexus 4's LCD screen. Two completely different types of technology in terms of battery life because of how the color black is managed. You can look up the differences, but bottom line is that you will not find any app, Daydream screen, or widget that will do what your N8 did with the time on the sleep screen.

Mona Thowfeek

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
omg yessss! that was sooo usefulll I was an old time nokia N8 user too and loved that screen such a nifty little feature. Does anyone know of an s4 app?

Einari Pekkala

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The N9 also utilizes the front sensor that turns off the screen during phone calls. This way even the dim white text is turned off when the phone is facing down or is in your pocket. Im also looking a similar feature for android.