Avast

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a galaxy tab come in with an actual virus.. It took over the tablet...

We had to restore it, it had avg? I think

sent from my Nexus 4 // GeekSquad FT ARA // NYLI

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
This is a can of worms that has opinions on both sides.

Personally, I don't use antivirus regularly on android. A good rule of thumb is simply to not be stupid. As long as you're only downloading play store apps from reputable developers and aren't going to the deep dark parts of the internet you're more than likely not going to run into any problem.

Android is similar to windows in this regard. I just use Microsoft's built in antivirus, run an anti-malware scan every couple of months just to be sure, and haven't had a piece of malware on a windows computer in over 4 years. Have never had anything on Android. Being smart with your usage habits will remove 95% of the risk. it is actually really hard to get malware on a computer (of which Android is a type of) now, and usually requires direct user interaction to make it happen.

Others will disagree with me and insist you run an antivirus on your device, but I personally don't think it is needed.

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This is a can of worms that has opinions on both sides.
... but I personally don't think it is needed.

I agree, it's not necessary. Be smart, don't court disaster, and you'll be fine.

I do, however, recommend some kind of theft/loss recovery app, like Prey or Cerberus, and Avast has that built-in, too. So if you must use an anti-malware app, use Avast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

fronten

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
For me Avast is useful because it comes with a FIREWALL!

Yes, that's much to my liking - I (hopefully) am able to restrict internet access for any app I am using.
I dislike most games to connect to download stuff in the background at all.

Also, it features everything a 'Security Suite' should have, including Anti-theft and Malware-scanning.

The Firewall requires root.

Tabs85

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Not reallllyyyyy....but it doesnt take up too much space and just works in the background..so why not...considering its free.

I mainly keep it on cause its very good for antitheft :)

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just use it for the anti theft. Virus protection isnt really needed

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Anti theft meaning what exactly

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Lock, track the phone and so much more. Offers lots of features that you can use to locate your phone if lost or stolen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
For me Avast is useful because it comes with a FIREWALL!

Yes, that's much to my liking - I (hopefully) am able to restrict internet access for any app I am using.
I dislike most games to connect to download stuff in the background at all.

Also, it features everything a 'Security Suite' should have, including Anti-theft and Malware-scanning.

The Firewall requires root.
Interesting you mention this because I just noticed this in Avast last night. But it doesn't really describe what it does. Does it prevent apps from grabbing personal info, even if it's one of their permissions? Can you restrict those types of things on an app by app basis? I think that alone would be worth rooting for if you can stop the flow of information the apps can get.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge