Trading in my iPhone for a Nexus 4

tibbi64

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered the 16gb one today. I also have the iphone 4. I still kinda love my iphone, but I needed a phone now and a carrier. As I was losing my current plan and unlimited data. I did not want to spend a lot on the iphone 5 when the 5s is around the corner. So I picked the nexus and it might just win me over back to android. I do like the nfc feature and ordered the NTags Amazon.com: TagsForDroid 10 NFC Tags + 1 NFC Key Chain + Stickers (NTAG203): Everything Else. Maybe if the iPhone 6 will have wireless charging plus more features that android now has then I might switch back...or I might just get the next Nexus. I do like that google sells the phone unlocked thats also why I chose the phone, I want to pick my carrier. I don't like a branded phone thats limited to that a carrier.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I love my Nexus 4 and it is still my main phone. I also love my iPhone 4S and like the Nexus, have it activated using a T-Mobile sim on the $30 plan. There are still things that my iPhone does that I still like and wish my Nexus 4 could do so I have no problem keeping them both and using them. I use a pin on both to keep them locked. On the iPhone, I just enter the four numbers and it unlocks. On the Nexus 4, I have to enter the four numbers PLUS, I then have to press the little arrow thing to unlock it.

There are also a few apps that I have that are done better on the iPhone. One is my local news channel app. The apps are basically the same on my Nexus 4 as the iPhone BUT the iPhone app allows me to watch their newscast right on the iPhone. I can't do that on their Android app so I had to install flash and use Firefox so I can watch their newscast. which I actually do on my Nexus 7, not on the Nexus 4.

I also use the SiriusXM app on both phones. When at the lock screen on the iPhone, I can see the album art displayed as if I were using the iPod to play music. I can also pause/play the music in this app on the lock screen. Can't do this on the Nexus 4/7.

A few days ago, when texting someone I just met, I gave him my Google Voice number so that he would not have my real number obviously but also because I could block him if things turned out that way. When trying to text him back using Google Voice on the Nexus 4, that app would not open and my whole phone would just freeze. I tried several times. I restarted the phone and the same thing happened. It finally started working on it's own a few minutes later and hasn't repeated that at all since.

These are the most noticeable things for me on some of the things I use the most. I am sure there are more.

pcdebb

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
well at least I'm a little more at ease about my conflict of interest between apples and green men lol I do have a feeling I'll have another IOS device before the end of the year, but this time I will not be giving up my android. I think I need both to be happy :)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
well at least I'm a little more at ease about my conflict of interest between apples and green men lol I do have a feeling I'll have another IOS device before the end of the year, but this time I will not be giving up my android. I think I need both to be happy :)

I've come to that conclusion myself. I won't give up my Nexus 4 or Nexus 7, but I still love the hell out of my iPhone 4S, especially since it's unlocked and on T-Mobile.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
NexusGirlX, face unlocking on the nexus 4 is lightning fast, so much so that i have trouble NOT unlocking to configure the lock screen. I only wish my iPod Touch could do it. Try it out if you haven't already....

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
NexusGirlX, face unlocking on the nexus 4 is lightning fast, so much so that i have trouble NOT unlocking to configure the lock screen. I only wish my iPod Touch could do it. Try it out if you haven't already....

I've tried it but went back to slide to unlock.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I love my Nexus 4 and it is still my main phone. I also love my iPhone 4S and like the Nexus, have it activated using a T-Mobile sim on the $30 plan. There are still things that my iPhone does that I still like and wish my Nexus 4 could do so I have no problem keeping them both and using them. I use a pin on both to keep them locked. On the iPhone, I just enter the four numbers and it unlocks. On the Nexus 4, I have to enter the four numbers PLUS, I then have to press the little arrow thing to unlock it.

There are also a few apps that I have that are done better on the iPhone. One is my local news channel app. The apps are basically the same on my Nexus 4 as the iPhone BUT the iPhone app allows me to watch their newscast right on the iPhone. I can't do that on their Android app so I had to install flash and use Firefox so I can watch their newscast. which I actually do on my Nexus 7, not on the Nexus 4.

I also use the SiriusXM app on both phones. When at the lock screen on the iPhone, I can see the album art displayed as if I were using the iPod to play music. I can also pause/play the music in this app on the lock screen. Can't do this on the Nexus 4/7.

A few days ago, when texting someone I just met, I gave him my Google Voice number so that he would not have my real number obviously but also because I could block him if things turned out that way. When trying to text him back using Google Voice on the Nexus 4, that app would not open and my whole phone would just freeze. I tried several times. I restarted the phone and the same thing happened. It finally started working on it's own a few minutes later and hasn't repeated that at all since.

These are the most noticeable things for me on some of the things I use the most. I am sure there are more.

Yes, but on iphone you have to swipe to unlock and then put your pin in...on the Nexus it should come up on the PIN screen then you enter your PIN and press enter...:)

EDIT: I just realized I do not see a swipe lock on my Nexus 4 because I use the Dash Clock widget which replaced my OEM swipe screen. I have attached a photo of what I see when I press the power button to turn on my screen. So using this would make the steps the same number as iphone?

I also have some apps I prefer on iphone. The main one is for my home security cameras. The app on iphone is free and works better than my paid app on android.

If they made iphone with a 4.25 inch or larger screen, added NFC and wireless charging...it would be a really interesting discussion. The more I use those features on my Nexus 4 the more I like them! Also have the wireless charging for my Note 2! I just hope the next Nexus is LTE capable for ATT.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-21-12-33-49.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-21-12-33-49.png
    650.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to try this feature, but I haven't because I don't know what happens if, for some reason, my N4 suddenly doesn't recognize me. Does it then give me an alternate unlock method?

Yes. PIN or pattern unlock as a backup.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Your investment in Apple's ecosystem is your choice, but consider you have to use their products and you have to do it their way. How do you use Time Machine if you don't either use a local HDD or an Apple Time Capsule? What about being able to store your videos locally on an AppleTV? You used to be able to do that, until of course they pushed a firmware update that disallowed you from doing that (and also pushed out new hardware that doesn't have the capacity to do that) and so forth and so on.

Even in Lion, I don't participate in any of Apple's ecosystem, and I never will.

And? Google also pushes you to invest in their ecosystem.

anon(5830442)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Customization and widgets are overated. Bought a N4 just to play around, really nice devide, but still keep the iphone, it is simply a better built device, and IOS IMO it is a more polished platform, always predictable, always works. It is those tiny little bugs android still has...

grumpycompuprof

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
After using the HTC One for a few weeks now, I'm contemplating to switch it for the Nexus 4. My decision would be much easier, if they had released an LTE version at Google I/O. I don't really like hardware or capacitative buttons and using the Nexus 10 as my tablet, I really enjoy these onscreen buttons. At least I don't have to hope for dim enough lighting for them to come on. They are always there.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
If I didn't have my s4 already then I'd definitely be choosing the nexus 4 over any other phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Uh yeah..pretty much the entire purpose of time machine is to back up to an external drive formatted with an OS X file system...so....are you suggesting they make it work with Dropbox or something? Because then it wouldn't do anything unique as Time Machine does because they can't format Dropbox.
The latest Apple TV is designed for streaming only and has no local storage..like Roku which happens to be the best selling streaming device. Things have changed in streaming land since the original Apple TV.

Your investment in Apple's ecosystem is your choice, but consider you have to use their products and you have to do it their way. How do you use Time Machine if you don't either use a local HDD or an Apple Time Capsule? What about being able to store your videos locally on an AppleTV? You used to be able to do that, until of course they pushed a firmware update that disallowed you from doing that (and also pushed out new hardware that doesn't have the capacity to do that) and so forth and so on.

Even in Lion, I don't participate in any of Apple's ecosystem, and I never will.

Unless you jailbreak an iPhone and then you can do all those same things. Most serious Android users root their Android phone. No difference there.

It's all about learning the new phone. Take the Galaxy S3...For muting/sound, there is the notification pulldown that has quick toggles with features like wifi, sound, bluetooth, etc. As for music, you can also add the music player widget that allows you to start playing music without opening the app.

Between widgets, multitasking, and downloading launchers (Launchers are User Interfaces that allow you to customize home screens and the app drawer), is what sets Android apart from iOS.

But I have also seen people who just can't get over that 'I like the look/feel of Apple', and that's fine. But also take this into consideration: You ARE changing Operating Systems, hence, a longer learning curve needs to be considered. Just ask anyone you know who has switched from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I did in December, and I am STILL learning things about the new platform. The one thing I would suggest to do is keep the iPhone as your primary device, and get an Android to play with without attaching it to your line. You can still play with it through the web, see what Play offers, etc.

Unless you jailbreak. Then you can have widgets and modify the home screen.

Android gives me endless possiblities to customize my phone to my liking. With an iphone youre stuck to their ecosystem and having an app drawer on your homescreens. I couldnt do without some widgets and thats why Im not going back to an iphone.

I just came from the Note II and loving the Nexus...no bloatware and Im using the 8gb model and as long as you dont store too much in your phone you should be fine. All my stuff is in the cloud so I have about 5-6gb left in my phone to use.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

- - - Updated - - -

Neither does Apple.

Exactly. They don't force you to.