Gmail is eating 77% of my battery, with everything else under 5%. Help!

seansense

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
It's been a couple of days since I got the Nexus 4 and while I absolutely love it I'm having a nightmarish time figuring out how to keep the phone's battery alive.
After reading numerous threads on Android Central I was able to fix most issues except one: the Gmail app continues to drain my battery. I thought getting the paid version of JuiceDefender would help resolve this but it hasn't. I would really appreciate any advice or insight you guys can offer.
Thanks,
Sean

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Sweet pikake I believe would be correct, take pushing off and maybe set it every hour or two or maybe longer - personally i rarely check my email on my phone (always on the pc) but when im out and need to grab some data i just refresh my inbox and thats the only time it downloads info.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No no no no. Push email is exactly what you want on email. If you set it to periodically poll that actually uses more battery than push, since the phone has to query for mail instead of just waiting for mail to get pushed to it. Do not change it to poll at interval. gmail is never in my top 10 for battery use and I have never changed it away from push eamil.

to the OP I'd recommend downloading better battery stats. It will show you what is causing wakelocks in gmail, which is why it is eating the battery.

Another option you can do is try a factory reset, or maybe just remove your google account from the device and set it up again. But definitley take a look at better battery stats and see if you can see exactly what part of gmail is eating up the battery.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
No no no no. Push email is exactly what you want on email. If you set it to periodically poll that actually uses more battery than push, since the phone has to query for mail instead of just waiting for mail to get pushed to it. Do not change it to poll at interval. gmail is never in my top 10 for battery use and I have never changed it away from push email.
Poo. Now I need to go back and change all my folder settings (for the email app, not gmail) back to push from hourly. I really only wanted every 24 hours or only on Wifi but those weren't options. :(

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.