Is the nexus 4 old already?

Saint Michael

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
You can can call me Google-curious. I got my gf a galaxy note 2 and I don't hate it (although I wish I could have a 4.2-4.3inch flagship smart phone these days). So if I wanted to give android a try, I'd say the same as with Windows phone; it needs to be the best. So I want a nexus device...specifically a phone, not a tablet. I/O is around the corner and the nexus devices will get KLP before everyone else right? Now The Nexus 4 is beautiful, the camera I don't care about because I have the 808 pureview on me at all times anyways....

But, the display, I mean it's what Ill be looking at most of the time, and frankly, I never believed we needed 1080p on a smartphone before, but then the htf one came and it made me a believer. so the first thing on my mind is how poor is the nexus 4's 2012 screen compered to the screen tech of 2013?
Also the processor, is the nexus 4 futureproof in hardware? I mean, I don't really understand how a CPU works, but I get that the snapdragon 600 beats the s4 pro. and the 800 even more so. so my second question is, will the nexus 4, by 2013 standers, be a slow device?

lastly, Im wondering on the nexus 5. when do you recon we'll see this device, I mean a nexus 4 with 2013 hardware would be a dream (especially if they made it smaller). would it be worth the wait? or is the nexus 4's 2012 specs still good enough to play with the big new kids on the blokk?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
It's old-ish but still a good buy.
However, eventhough it's old there's less than 5 devices newer in the same league:
-DNA
-One
-S4
-Xperia Z
Keep in mind though that they all will be older than the N4 software-wise when the next version of Android is released. So while you might not have the newest hardware you'll have the newest software.

N5 is likely about 6-7mos away.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You can can call me Google-curious. I got my gf a galaxy note 2 and I don't hate it (although I wish I could have a 4.2-4.3inch flagship smart phone these days). So if I wanted to give android a try, I'd say the same as with Windows phone; it needs to be the best. So I want a nexus device...specifically a phone, not a tablet. I/O is around the corner and the nexus devices will get KLP before everyone else right? Now The Nexus 4 is beautiful, the camera I don't care about because I have the 808 pureview on me at all times anyways....

But, the display, I mean it's what Ill be looking at most of the time, and frankly, I never believed we needed 1080p on a smartphone before, but then the htf one came and it made me a believer. so the first thing on my mind is how poor is the nexus 4's 2012 screen compered to the screen tech of 2013?
Also the processor, is the nexus 4 futureproof in hardware? I mean, I don't really understand how a CPU works, but I get that the snapdragon 600 beats the s4 pro. and the 800 even more so. so my second question is, will the nexus 4, by 2013 standers, be a slow device?

lastly, Im wondering on the nexus 5. when do you recon we'll see this device, I mean a nexus 4 with 2013 hardware would be a dream (especially if they made it smaller). would it be worth the wait? or is the nexus 4's 2012 specs still good enough to play with the big new kids on the blokk?

The Nexus 4 screen is not 'poor' by any means. It still has an excellent resolution and in fact the lesser resolution means the cpu/gpu won't have to work as hard since there are less pixels to push when running applications. Another main advantage of the Nexus 4 is support straight from Google.

The Nexus series will always receive updates first since there is no carrier/OEM bloatware to change around. That means that the Nexus 4 will have the most updated drivers by at least a few months and greater overall support from the development community if you ever decide to customize your phone. (which I highly recommend)

As for the cpu being 'slow' as I stated earlier with the lesser resolution the cpu won't have to work as hard, so updated games in the future should run just as smoothly as the newer phones. Obviously it might lose a few bells and whistles in the future (think late 2014-forward) but the Nexus 4 should keep you moving along fairly quickly.

Another thing I should mention is that with the Google I/O (think E3 for Android) coming up in May, we will find out about the upcoming Key Lime Pie (Android 5.0) update. The Nexus 4 should receive everything the new OS has to offer. The only thing that would change this from future updates is if Google decides to implement certain mandatory hardware changes and develops software that simply won't work on older hardware. However, I would not expect this since Google is trying very hard to keep devices from being incompatible with the software, api development, etc.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 4 is old by mobile standards, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better phone at that price.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

It will be old on hardware and seem slower than new devices but it will still have support for android updates to come like Key Lime Pie. In my opinion if you want a Google device get the newer ones coming out this year. I recommend that you wait because why would you get a year old device if a newer one is almost here.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 4's screen is pretty nice and 720p more then enough for a phone but, like you said, not the latest tech for screens. The phone itself is very fast, quad core and 2 GB of ram without any bloatware or carrier add ons slowing it down. I've had my Nexus 4 since launch and I don't feel that this phone is outdated or even close. The best Android experience, in my opinion, is stock Android with OTA updates directly from Google. Yes the HTC one is a better phone based on the hardware but it will never see any Android updates, definitely not Key Lime Pie, and for me I'd rather have the latest version then a high end smartphone with old Android software or dealing with carriers to send of the update.

The Nexus 4 is my first Google phone, I love it and I won't be going to a carrier for any phone again. I'd go to T-Mobile and try to Nexus 4 in stores if you have the chance too. If your still on edge I'd wait for Google I/O next month to see what they might announce.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Because of the "rumor mill" all devices seem old right after they are released. Newer models are always being talked about and therefore seem to be coming out far earlier than they actually do. Any of the new phones are great, but if you're looking for a true Google experience (not polluted with manufacturer skins on top), nothing is going to beat a Nexus. The N4 is the only phone I would buy today if mine broke. The N5 will be out in Nov/Dec...that's a long time away.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I went back to my Nexus 4 long before I had to send the One I had as a loaner back to HTC.
Still one of the best Android phones I've ever used.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
This is a very good video.. Btw dont forget.. The nexus 4 is nearly half the price of these newer high end devices.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It will not be old until you can walk in an buy one of the new 1080p screen phones, which will not be for another several weeks. Even then, the Nexus 4 is a great value and can do anything you need to do with a phone. Not to mention how many of these phone will have 4.2.2? Only the s4.

It seem even better if they announce/launch KLP this summer. NONE of these new phones will have that!

Last edited:

rupam95

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why anyone would need a 1080p phone. Our naked eyes won't even see a difference if it's 720p or 1080p. Now, if it was a 10" tablet or a 40" TV, then YES!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why anyone would need a 1080p phone. Our naked eyes won't even see a difference if it's 720p or 1080p. Now, if it was a 10" tablet or a 40" TV, then YES!

That's not true. A friend of mine as the Xperia Z and we pulled up a full HD picture on both our phones (I'm on a Nexus 4) and we could clearly see the image was sharper on the XZ.

Saint Michael

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Great replies, thank you!

followup question: if all android Phones can be rooted and People use custom roms etc. even People With nexus Devices which already provides Stock android, why do People want the nexus Devices if you end up rooting it and installing like paranoid android or somthing.... couldnt you do the same to any android phone and get the same result? or does it work better because of Stock android on the nexus?

And yes, Im honestly this green on android, I just read up on roms like 5 min ago :p

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

followup question: if all android Phones can be rooted and People use custom roms etc. even People With nexus Devices which already provides Stock android, why do People want the nexus Devices if you end up rooting it and installing like paranoid android or somthing.... couldnt you do the same to any android phone and get the same result? or does it work better because of Stock android on the nexus?

And yes, Im honestly this green on android, I just read up on roms like 5 min ago :p

I'm very new to android as well. I'm rooted because I didn't want to find out at a later time there was something I couldn't do because I didn't have root access. Titanium backup comes to mind as an example. In my mind it's like the difference between using a home edition of windows vs a pro edition. You're fine on the home edition until you're not. I don't plan on playing with different roms, but I did flash a custom recovery. I see the an advantage to being rooted even though I plan on running stock.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's not true. A friend of mine as the Xperia Z and we pulled up a full HD picture on both our phones (I'm on a Nexus 4) and we could clearly see the image was sharper on the XZ.

Actually he's right. You can do the same thing with two 1080p displays. The XZ has better display tech overall. If the XZ had 720p display instead you'd still get nearly the same result. According to the Imaging Science Foundation - a professional organization that trains TV calibration techniques to technicians - the three most important factors of a television's image quality are contrast ratio, color saturation, and color accuracy. Though resolution may be the most talked-about spec these days, it comes in fourth on the ISF list.

On top of that, it's no secret that the Nexus 4 has been commented on having a bit of a washed out display. Nothing significant, and you'd only notice it if you happen to always be viewing your N4 alongside another brand that uses deeper contrasts and saturation. That's the reason you noticed, it wasn't the resolution. The difference between 720p and 1080p are indeed unnoticeable to the naked eye.

Regardless of all the technical jargon above, requiring that "1080p" label on the box for a 5" screen or smaller is something I find baffling personally. Aside from that, the Nexus 4 trumps everything else for 2 simple reasons: It's the only other phone on the planet that is completely free of update delays carrier interference, poorly designed OEM overlays, bloatware. I find it rather sad that there are still SG3's on some carriers like T-Mo waiting for 4.1.2 while we've been on 4.2.2 for half a year and are about to be on KLP which they'll likely never get at all. That sucks big time.

Secondly we're going to be able to sell this phone in November (Nexus 4 has a great resale value as well) and pick up a Nexus 5 with even better specs. That's exactly what I'm doing, and I just grabbed mine 2 weeks ago. I plan to buy/sell to have the latest Nexus every single year (although in my case I'll be doing it January-January)

And therein lies the rub: Every year nexus phones and OEM phones will take turns out-speccing each other for only a 6 month term because Nexus releases in Fall, OEM's in the Spring. The difference is that the OEM phones will never outdo Nexus phones on the OS version and timely updates.

This is a really good article I would suggest everyone should give a read through because it explains very well why Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of all Hey I like that... I just found my new Signature line! :)

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, after the Nexus 4, I will never buy a phone from a carrier again. Only GSM unlocked for me. The Nexus 4 moved things forward so much it now seems ridiculous to chain yourself to a carrier.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Its easier to root etc on the nexus devices as its pure and there is no bloatware etc.. Most devs will also have a nexus device as it is easier working with pure android which also means greater support for the nexus 4.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same, I want all nexus all the time. This phone is the best phone I have owned. No bloat, No skins, and UPDATES!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The N4 just came out last Nov. I believe. I came from an iPhone 5, and I'd consider the nexus more advanced then the iPhone 5. Screen is larger, everything is a bit more clearer to see, much faster etc.. I couldve bought a HTC One or S4 but I chose the N4 because I HATE manufacture bloatware. The N4 is the only Android phone I'd ever own.