insufficient storage available to update apps?

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I woke up this morning to a bunch of warning messages that my Nexus 4-16 had insufficient storage available update some apps (Play Magazines, WiCall, Starbucks, LinkedIn, Wallet, Amazon). There were a couple yesterday, too. I took screenshots, and it seems like I have 500 MB. How much memory do I need?!

2013-04-19%2009.05.57.png

2013-04-19%2009.05.37.png

2013-04-19%2009.05.07.png

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Remove some of your music and you should be fine.

I'm really hoping when they make the Nexux5, or what ever they call it, they include a model that has at least 32GB of storage.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Android will try to keep some memory free for it to work properly.
after a certain memory limit is reached it will block all the installs to make sure Android has enough storage to run.
I am not sure about the exact storage after which it will block installs but in your case it looks like 500mb.
clear some space and you should be fine.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Are you rooted and if so have you made any nandroid backups? I ask because I found mine being stored in 2 different places taking up an extra 3 to 5 gb.

8gb seems like a lot of music. Is is all songs (that you might move to the cloud?), or are you holding onto some other stuff like podcast?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I woke up this morning to a bunch of warning messages that my Nexus 4-16 had insufficient storage available update some apps (Play Magazines, WiCall, Starbucks, LinkedIn, Wallet, Amazon). There were a couple yesterday, too. I took screenshots, and it seems like I have 500 MB. How much memory do I need?!
Google has decided that you do not need to keep stuff on your phone, and need to be streaming it from the cloud instead. So this problem only occurs when you disagree with Google.

If you have less than a gig free at any given time, I would start deleting stuff. There is nothing else you can do. The nexus needs about that much breathing room.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Google has decided that you do not need to keep stuff on your phone, and need to be streaming it from the cloud instead. So this problem only occurs when you disagree with Google.

Google decided this?

Interesting. I didn't know Google commanded anyone which devices they were required to purchase.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Google decided this?

Interesting. I didn't know Google commanded anyone which devices they were required to purchase.

He is speaking of Google's overall philosophy of using the cloud and streaming functionality instead of using internal storage. The way he wrote it was to be facetious.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

If you have less than a gig free at any given time, I would start deleting stuff. There is nothing else you can do. The nexus needs about that much breathing room.

You can always clear caches, too. That helps. Some apps, like Facebook, seem to keep eating up space as it's cleared, though.

NB: I'm not sure if the music here was DELIBERATELY stored. If the OP is streaming, there is a setting in Play MUSIC to turn OFF caching. DO NOT CACHE. That downloads everything you're streaming and eats up your space in an eyeblink.

The other solution is to get rid of the Nexus and buy something with an SD card slot for all that music that has clobbered the phone. Ahem. ;) SD card slots uber alles.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
You can always clear caches, too. That helps.
In the short term it does. But the caches are for stuff you use, so they will fill up again eventually. It is better than nothing, but it's a bandaid solution. I had to do that on the Droid 1 and it was a hassle.

The other solution is to get rid of the Nexus and buy something with an SD card slot for all that music that has clobbered the phone. Ahem. ;) SD card slots uber alles.
Until recently there were no real alternatives to the Nexus if you wanted a fast Vanilla Android system. And even now, there still kinda aren't, since Google is not updating the GE devices directly like we thought they would. But there are more vanilla android choices now and that is never a bad thing.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
In the short term it does. But the caches are for stuff you use, so they will fill up again eventually. It is better than nothing, but it's a bandaid solution..

Well, yes, but a band-aid can help a lot when you're bleeding. If you need to make a critical update, clearing the cache let's you make it. If it fills up again, you've still got your update. Plus, there are some programs that may have been used at some point--like, say, Google+---and not used much since. They may have built up a cache. Clear everything--data, cache, etc. When you need them again, then worry about it.

I don't disagree that it's a hassle. But when you're literally running out of space (and on my old Sensation I was dropping down below 100 megs at times), every little bit helps, every trick to at least keep you up and running.

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
NB: I'm not sure if the music here was DELIBERATELY stored. If the OP is streaming, there is a setting in Play MUSIC to turn OFF caching. DO NOT CACHE. That downloads everything you're streaming and eats up your space in an eyeblink.

Allowing it to cache in Play Music, or pinning music for offline play, increases the App Size, and is not stored under Audio. I have 152kb under Audio, but my Play Music app weighs in at 3.4GB because of cacheing and pinning. Your advice is good, but not applicable to OP, who has 8 gigs of audio files stored on the device, which seems a bit excessive to me, but not unreasonable.

I would agree with Christopher Matthews - the phone is not the place to store pictures. Move them to the cloud or to a computer or both, and you'll free up 3 gigs real quick.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't disagree that it's a hassle. But when you're literally running out of space (and on my old Sensation I was dropping down below 100 megs at times), every little bit helps, every trick to at least keep you up and running.
The only real permanent fix is to simply delete media files. It sucks that it is even necessary, but there really is no way around it. I can store a good sized chunk of my MP3 library (6 gigs) and a few ebooks, but I can't keep videos or comics or whatever on my phone anymore.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Google created the Nexus 4. You learn something new every day.

I'll quote both your post and my prior post as you still seem to struggle with quoting. ;)

Google decided this?

When will your childish forum antics pass away? Word of advice: don't buy the next Nexus device. They aren't designed for a consumer like you, and you made the wrong choice in buying the Nexus 4 do to you failing to appropritely diagnose your needs from a phone. You made a mistake, and if it wasn't clear, that's your fault, too. You are the flaw here, not the Google or the Nexus 4 that you incorrectly chose to buy.