T-Mobile

tibbi64

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to try out T-Mobiles $30 unlimited data plan and i am impressed. I live in the country and get faster speeds on my nexus 4 than with at&t high speed DSL. With Verizon i would get voice but no data. All the way from home to work i also get great data speeds. 5-11 Mbps in the Anderson SC area. Loving my phone, moved from iPhone 4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! I've seen a lot of people post that Tmo coverage is only so-so in non-urban areas, or along highways, so I am happy to hear that Tmo provides your area better than even Verizon. I really want to see Tmo succeed, especially since I think their pricing is more affordable and transparent than the others. I'd like to see all the majors offer pricing similar to Tmo's. You can't beat the $30 plan if you can manage only 100 minutes.

tibbi64

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea I'm going to try and use Voice over data. But may just go to their $50 prepaid unlimited. But i had a question about that? If it only gives you 500 Mbs of high speed, the Nexus 4 is not 4g so would i be getting the same speeds i am now?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea I'm going to try and use Voice over data. But may just go to their $50 prepaid unlimited. But i had a question about that? If it only gives you 500 Mbs of high speed, the Nexus 4 is not 4g so would i be getting the same speeds i am now?

H+ or "FauxG" is high speed for the purposes of T-Mo's plan definitions. After 500MB you would be throttled down to EDGE speeds.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Yes, you'll get the speeds you are getting right now, but on Tmo's prepaid $50 you'll only get that speed for 500MB. After 500MB you'll get throttled down to 2G speeds for the remainder of your cycle. Somebody like you who lives in such a strong Tmo coverage area should consider Solavei which is owned by Tmo and uses Tmo towers. For $49 you'll get 4GB of hspa+ (that is what you are getting now from Tmo), and unlimited talk and text. After 4GB you get throttled down to 2G speeds. I think it is really a no brainer for anybody to go with Solavei who might be considering Tmo's $50, $60, or $70 plas. I'm not with Solavei myself because I don't need the minutes and Tmo's coverage in my home is really bad.

Voice over data has worked only so-so for me. I don't have much tolerance when the connection isn't good even if it is only 1 out of 10 calls. Some people manage fine on it and it works great over wifi, but I just got too fed with it. The wireless speeds you get seem to be very strong. If you could consistently maintain those voice over data would probably work for you, but I don't think I've seen one post where somebody said they could use voice over data while driving in a car.

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you'll get the speeds you are getting right now, but on Tmo's prepaid $50 you'll only get that speed for 500MB. After 500MB you'll get throttled down to 2G speeds for the remainder of your cycle. Somebody like you who lives in such a strong Tmo coverage area should consider Solavei which is owned by Tmo and uses Tmo towers. For $49 you'll get 4GB of hspa+ (that is what you are getting now from Tmo), and unlimited talk and text. After 4GB you get throttled down to 2G speeds. I think it is really a no brainer for anybody to go with Solavei who might be considering Tmo's $50, $60, or $70 plas. I'm not with Solavei myself because I don't need the minutes and Tmo's coverage in my home is really bad.

Voice over data has worked only so-so for me. I don't have much tolerance when the connection isn't good even if it is only 1 out of 10 calls. Some people manage fine on it and it works great over wifi, but I just got too fed with it. The wireless speeds you get seem to be very strong. If you could consistently maintain those voice over data would probably work for you, but I don't think I've seen one post where somebody said they could use voice over data while driving in a car.

I use Solavei and have been very happy with it. If the OP has any questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on the Solavei network.

tibbi64

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Now is T-mobiles 2g speed is that labeled as Edge? At home and in town where I live it has just an H in the top bar.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
GSM is 2G.

When it came out, most operators and vendors referred to GPRS as 2.5G. But nowadays, they often lump it in as 2G.

Years ago, some operators and vendors used to describe EDGE as 2.75G or 3G. Unless an operator has deployed Evolved EDGE, it's a stretch to call it 3G. CDMA operators used to downplay EDGE as 2.5G while claiming their 1XRTT technology was 3G.

YMMV because all of this is subject to marketingspeak. What I'm describing is how those of us in the industry use the terms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton