Nexus 4 screen cracks - defective - Google and LG do not take responsibility

4bobcarruthers

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
My nexus 4 just sat on the car passenger seat for half an hour, start of journey no crack, at the end -full diagonal crack !
Play.com takes no responsibility (wont give me an address to make a claim under Sale of Goods Act 1979) and bounce you on to LG who are liable for manufacturing issues but say it is up to the complainant to prove the failure mechanism - and , by the way, they have no mechanism for reporting it.
To make the glass so hard it must be operating under very high levels of internal stress- fine if its been manufactured correctly, but if not it will crack randomly, probably at higher or lower temperatures or with rapid rate of change of temperature.
I'd suggest that people who might need to make emergency calls have a backup phone.
RC

sunafi

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have found the same thing and will be going back to the Iphone . i dropped my iphone off a semi truck(about 14 feet) and it still worked even tho the screen was cracked these nexus phones are crap. I called lg they told me to call another place and they were rude and i am very unsatisfied with the customer service. When i bought the phone they told me it had the strongest glass of all phones they lied so now it will cost me over 1000$ to pay for this crap phone and buy a new iPhone all i can say is wow.

I agree to this 100%... I bought iPhone in 2007, kid dropped couple of time, nothing happened. Once kid dropped from second floor, screen had spider web, nothing happened to back.
Wonder was, I could use it as iPod and used for sometime in my car....

NExus 4 - kid drop it from may be 1 & half feet, and spider web on both sides.... worst thing can not use it at all, I am not able to switch power off as that involves touch screen...

I have two Nexus 4, I was fan of Nexus 4 but this is crap design...

Checked with google, they suggested to contact LG; checked with LG, they has asked to contact ATNE; checked with ATNE, they have asked to deposit CA$25 + HST to get any cost quote....

Frustrating.... nothing else... No more Nexus for me in future ....

sunafi

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Got quote for replacement of front & back ... will cost 290 CAD, and I bought phone for 360 CAD....

seems rest of things were for free in the phone with glass panels....

Neither google nor LG cares for such service at good rate....

compare to this, I got my dell laptop for 700$, had some issue, their person came to my place replaced the part and good to go....
after warranty period, had issue with LCD cover... there was no charges for quote... got 220 CAD quote, to take care any thing except mother-board ... including taxes & both way shipping...
spent 220 and got my laptop like new... that's called taking care... google / LG getting disconnect once Nexus 4 is sold ... can't trust google blindly anymore...

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
actually...they do sometimes....they did for my friend and she just flat out told them she fell down the stairs and it would be ridiculous if they didn't replace the screen of her 600 dollar phone. at first they asked for 200 dollars but in the end they did it for free. So i guess it's how persistent you are about it. I don't think you should say that all phone companys are this way because they aren't i also broke my phone and they sent me from google to lg to google to lg again. In the end i just got a new one. but honestly i don't suggest buying this phone if you are clumsy. The back and front are glass. I love google but this phone could have been better made atleast so the screen works even if you drop it. Yet again all phone companies make their phone more breakale so they can make more money. :-\

Adrien Nicolas

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
It's not the fact that you dropped it, the matte is that it's a realy low drop (I had the same problem, drop mine from 50 cm's form the floor, and my screen is now cracked and not responding, while I had way bigger drops with my iphone 4, and no crack at all. So yes, I kinda feel disapointed that the "gorilla glass 2" can not take such a small drop, while the iphone's gorilla glass 1 (correct me if I'm wrong) is far more resistant.
The point is, LG/google should not take reponsibillity for the drop, but for the ****ty glass they use!

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
It's a roughly $500-$600 phone that cost $300/$350. Do the math, and stop letting the kids drop it. Or if you do, put it in a strong case (or do as I do, give the child a BT earbud and put the phone out of reach).

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

Matthew Wood1

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to add my 2 cents..

I just got off my Iphone 4 contract, never used a case, dropped it MANY times (I work as a driver, in and out of the car 50 times a day) never broke, and never scratched...I just gave it to my mom to use.

I bought my nexus about 45 days ago. It fell out of the back pocket of my jeans when I was on the toilet, about 3-4 inches. and BAM, spider webbed the front. I am honestly at a loss..and pretty upset since I just got quoted $189 to fix it because the glass is connected to all the other crap(digitizer, etc.)..crazy design..just crazy.
btw, mine was the new style with the little nubs, and it STILL SLIDES OFF MY DINNER TABLE.. which is no more than 1-3 degrees from level..slippery both front and back..

and why buy a case? or screen protector? never got a scratch on my Iphone..
it is a beautiful phone, a case makes it look like crap. I will now though since this phone is a complete piece of garbage.

and to all you jerks saying "it's your fault, don't drop it!!", I used to be just like you..my sister broker hers a week before I broke my, and I gave her hell for "obviously" dropping it from on high, even though she denied it, and said it just slipped off her night stand on to her carpet...I now believer her 100%..

beautiful phone, but not good enough for everyday use. period.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
It's not the fact that you dropped it, the matte is that it's a realy low drop (I had the same problem, drop mine from 50 cm's form the floor, and my screen is now cracked and not responding, while I had way bigger drops with my iphone 4, and no crack at all. So yes, I kinda feel disapointed that the "gorilla glass 2" can not take such a small drop, while the iphone's gorilla glass 1 (correct me if I'm wrong) is far more resistant.
The point is, LG/google should not take reponsibillity for the drop, but for the ****ty glass they use!

So do you believe if the screen were made out of regular glass, instead of gorilla glass, there would be less chance of it cracking/shattering? Gorilla glass is advertised as scratch resistant, and it is, not crack/shatter resistant. Design of the phone and how it lands come into play. I see cracked/shattered screens on iPhones all the time, especially the 4. I have dropped my N4 to a concrete floor three times now without damage because I have a bumper on it. I would just consider you fortunate with your iPhone, very fortunate in fact, and not so lucky with your N4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to add my 2 cents..

I just got off my Iphone 4 contract, never used a case, dropped it MANY times (I work as a driver, in and out of the car 50 times a day) never broke, and never scratched...I just gave it to my mom to use.

I bought my nexus about 45 days ago. It fell out of the back pocket of my jeans when I was on the toilet, about 3-4 inches. and BAM, spider webbed the front. I am honestly at a loss..and pretty upset since I just got quoted $189 to fix it because the glass is connected to all the other crap(digitizer, etc.)..crazy design..just crazy.
btw, mine was the new style with the little nubs, and it STILL SLIDES OFF MY DINNER TABLE.. which is no more than 1-3 degrees from level..slippery both front and back..

and why buy a case? or screen protector? never got a scratch on my Iphone..
it is a beautiful phone, a case makes it look like crap. I will now though since this phone is a complete piece of garbage.

and to all you jerks saying "it's your fault, don't drop it!!", I used to be just like you..my sister broker hers a week before I broke my, and I gave her hell for "obviously" dropping it from on high, even though she denied it, and said it just slipped off her night stand on to her carpet...I now believer her 100%..

beautiful phone, but not good enough for everyday use. period.

Seriously. Some people just need to man up. My previous HTC phone had gorilla glass 1 and after just over two years of usage, there wasn't even a scratch on it when I passed it down to my son. Today, the screen has a spider web. I seen the same from him with most of the iPhones he has had. And when it does happen to him, even at his young age he is man enough to know it is his fault, not the manufacturer's. I understand there should be some durability to phones, but you are walking around with a flat piece of glass!! Take some responsibility or get a flip phone.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Which phones out there are glass backed? Are the iPhones glass backed? If there is a difference between the glass durability of the iPhone and the Nexus 4 could the difference in sizes between the phones be a factor? Wouldn't the laws of physics govern that a larger phone (larger piece of glass whether the front side or back side) be more susceptible to breakage than a smaller phone? I saw a post over in the Samsung Galaxy S4 forums that a poster's GS4 slipped out of their fingers 4 inches into their cup holder in their car and the phone got a hairline crack on the display.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Gorilla glass is advertised as scratch resistant, and it is, not crack/shatter resistant.

I can't speak for Adrien Nicolas (the person you're replying to), but I have seen people on other forum posts say that their previous phones with the older version of Gorilla Glass appeared to be more durable. As far as I know, Gorilla Glass 2 (which is on the Nexus 4) is advertised to be thinner but just as strong as Gorilla Glass 1. However, I think I see more people complain about Gorilla Glass 2, including issues with scratches.

Perhaps if LG simply switches to Gorilla Glass 1, there would be fewer problems, but I don't expect LG to do anything at this point. Hopefully Gorilla Glass 3 will be an improvement.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I understand there should be some durability to phones, but you are walking around with a flat piece of glass!!

What is your minimum expectation for durability? For example, should a phone survive a 6-inch fall onto low-pile carpeting?

It would be interesting to see the comparative durability of the leading smartphones. I don't know if there has been a scientific study done on the subject, though I suspect cost would be a significant barrier. (If you keep breaking lots of $300-$500 phones, you'll end up with a large bill.) Still, I would be curious to see how the Nexus 4 stacks up against the competition.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
From all the posts, it seems that instead of a different grade of Gorilla Glass, Google and LG need to use a more robust surround, maybe even an integrated bumper. I dropped my Amaze with a D30 bumper several times, no cracks. Of course I had screen protection on, which reinforced the glass a bit, too.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
From all the posts, it seems that instead of a different grade of Gorilla Glass, Google and LG need to use a more robust surround, maybe even an integrated bumper. I dropped my Amaze with a D30 bumper several times, no cracks. Of course I had screen protection on, which reinforced the glass a bit, too.

A good case and screen protector works wonders, on keeping people that drop their phones, from breaking them.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for Adrien Nicolas (the person you're replying to), but I have seen people on other forum posts say that their previous phones with the older version of Gorilla Glass appeared to be more durable. As far as I know, Gorilla Glass 2 (which is on the Nexus 4) is advertised to be thinner but just as strong as Gorilla Glass 1. However, I think I see more people complain about Gorilla Glass 2, including issues with scratches.

Perhaps if LG simply switches to Gorilla Glass 1, there would be fewer problems, but I don't expect LG to do anything at this point. Hopefully Gorilla Glass 3 will be an improvement.

I had gorilla glass 1 on my previous device without issue and I have gorilla glass 2 on this device without issue, so far. Most of the complaints I have seen with scratches with this device have been on the backside. I get a feeling that the more scratch resistant they make gorilla glass, the more crack/shatter prone it becomes.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
What is your minimum expectation for durability? For example, should a phone survive a 6-inch fall onto low-pile carpeting?

I would think this would depend on the screen size and the build of the phone. Unfortunately, the push towards larger screens while making the devices thinner makes them more susceptible to damage, especially dropping them and carrying them around in a pocket. I think most large face touch screen phones are to the point where it is foolish to not have some kind of protection on them. My bumper has saved my N4 three times. I'm always trying to be real careful with my phone, but accidental drops do happen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000