My Net10 expermient failed

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I was excited to try out the Nexus4. My wife's Verizon contract is up so we got a one for her. I had to try it out before we switch her over. I was unable to get an AT&T ST sim card so someone suggested a I get an AT&T Net10 sim card. So that is what I did.

Everything in my home area worked great, and I even had full service in my office. Verizon service can't seem to penetrate the dark corner of the building where my office is, but AT&T can. I was a happy camper, thinking I would get a true Nexus in a few months and save some cash in the process.

Everything was great until my trip out to the family cottage this weekend. My service went into roaming and the data stopped working. I messed with the settings and tried every APN setting I could find on the internet without luck. The coverage map that I looked at seemed to indicate I would have data coverage, but I guess not. It must have been T-mobile coverage.

I would love to use T-Mobile, but their coverage is almost nonexistent where I live.

At this moment in time my only options are full AT&T service and keep the Nexus, or sell the Nexus and stay with Verizon.

I'm so deprressed at the thought of staying with Verizon.....

Am I the only one that thought Net10 with an AT&T sim had the same coverage as regular AT&T service?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Too bad. I've been considering switching over to AT&T from Tmo since I get poor Tmo coverge in my home, so I've been following your posts with interest. Thanks for posting all the info. It has been helpful. You would think you would get the same coverage as AT&T, but I've seen a lot of people complaining about Net10. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The biggest complaint is inconsistent data. Who knows, your data might have gone out even if you stayed home. Just today, a married couple posted in this forum that she had AT&T Straight Talk, and her husband AT&T Net10. She said that she had no problems whatsoever, but her husband's service sucked. You are probably past your 15 day return period. You do have one other option. The AT&T Straight Talk micro sims are still being sold on ebay, and they seem to have come down in price to about $40 or $50. Not that long ago they were selling for $80 or $90. There is always a risk that the sim won't work, and I think some of them are regular-sized sims cut down to micro size, but they still work. Straight Talk also garners a lot of complaints too, but the impression I get is that AT&T ST customers are happier than AT&T Net10.

SteveL

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Not good news. I was planning on doing the same thing. I wanted to drop Verizon for Net10. My work provided AT&T phone gets great coverage in my area. I would think Net10 would be the same. Now I'm not so sure.

deano131

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
As I understand neither ST ATT and Net10 Roam data. So if you leave the Att coverage area you are Sol. My son has been on Net10 for almost 30 days and all is well but we have good Att coverage in the area he travels. He has traveled to some small towns golfing on his Highschool golf team and lost data but has been able to maintain voice service. Just the price you will pay for ST and Net10. I don't think it will make a difference if it was ST Att or Net10.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
My girlfriend uses AT&T's go phone $65 a month plan and has no issues with her N4. Same coverage as regular AT&T. Plan is unlimited talk and text, but only 1GB of data. If T-Mobile's coverage wasn't good were we live that's the plan I would use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC