16 gigs is just way too small, I don't want to put stuff on the cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been using my Nexus 4 for about 5 months now and I can't get over the biggest issue with the phone, 16 gigs is just way too small. I don't want to put my music on their cloud, I'd rather have it stored locally, but then I have to deal with clearing cache, deleting apps, pics, videos, etc. I would have gladly paid $50+ more for a 32 gig version, which I think should be the standard for people that use their devices for media content.

What is particularly frustrating is that Google wants you put your data in the cloud, but at the same time Verizon, AT&T, etc are capping their services. I'd rather have items stores locally just cause it doesn't count against my data caps and I get to play it faster, in case there are issues with the network at any point.

mcshaggin

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Use dropbox and set it to download pics and video on wifi only. That should help a little. I'm waiting for Box.com to have that function because I have 50Gb with them. When I'm home or at work my newest pics/videos get uploaded. No worry about data caps.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah 16gb is a little sparse. I would have liked a 32gb version myself as well. But that's how it is.

Google want you to have all your content (music, movies, pictures etc) on their cloud services. So the less storage they give you, the more you'd be putting on the cloud.

It sucks, but I understand their decision. I just hope this upgraded 4G 32gb model in May is true.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It's funny but long ago 16 gig was the standard and considered having sufficient space. Now everyone must have 32 or 64...

Most say it's for carrying their music, me personally I just swap out every week or so to switch up my music and space is never an issue.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
It's funny but long ago 16 gig was the standard and considered having sufficient space. Now everyone must have 32 or 64...

Most say it's for carrying their music, me personally I just swap out every week or so to switch up my music and space is never an issue.

in a few years people would complain about 64gb as well, they would want more.
I am fine with 16gb tbh

S-Doo-1965

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
16gb is just too little, the screen is to big/small. Can't please everybody. I love my sliding off the orb, sparkly glass back, non-lte Nexus.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been using my Nexus 4 for about 5 months now and I can't get over the biggest issue with the phone, 16 gigs is just way too small. I don't want to put my music on their cloud, I'd rather have it stored locally, but then I have to deal with clearing cache, deleting apps, pics, videos, etc. I would have gladly paid $50+ more for a 32 gig version, which I think should be the standard for people that use their devices for media content. What is particularly frustrating is that Google wants you put your data in the cloud, but at the same time Verizon, AT&T, etc are capping their services. I'd rather have items stores locally just cause it doesn't count against my data caps and I get to play it faster, in case there are issues with the network at any point.
Really? It's been five months since the Nexus 4 came out and people are still whining that they can't carry every flipping piece of digital media with them? Yeesh.

1. Bandwidth caps? Not a problem if you use wi-fi. I use about 1.2GB of OTA data and 3-5GB of wi-fi data, mostly because the crap Spotify app keeps losing downloaded files and clearing the cache without taking care wipes them out, too.

B. Not enough space? I have a 16GB N4 and with 165 apps/LWPs installed, about 100 3MP photos, and 40 albums/530 tracks of high quality Spotify downloads and I have almost 5GB still free. How much media do you want to have with you? You know where I have my other 10,000+ music files? My half-filled 80GB iPod Classic.

3. You want a "device meant for media content"? Then go get one. Samsung has SD slots in all their models AFAIK. As for non-expandable phones, the 32GB iPhone 5 off-contract is $749; the unlocked 32GB HTC One is $575.

Maybe Google will announce a 32GB model along with LTE at I/O and all your problems will be solved, though I'll doubt it. Then it will be, "Why not 64GB?"

Andy Bell

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
16 gigs is just way too small

To put it quite simply, Nexus 4 is not for you then. Sell it and get a smartphone with more gigglybits.

I personally came from a 32gb iPhone and haven't really noticed much of a difference, I do utilize the offers available to me though, 50gb free storage with Box,com for my photos and Vids. I do store my music on Google Library and stream it, I'm on an unlimited data plan though. Also regular housekeeping helps free up a bit of space, I regularly delete apps that I haven't used for a while............they are always available to download again at the touch of a button if required.

Andy.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP.

I don't want to use the cloud because it's not reliable. If I want to listen to or watch something, I shouldn't have to think about whether I have WiFi or a good connection. And yeah, I have an unlimited plan that works well, but not in basements, not when I'm overseas. and not when I'm on the Subway or in a tunnel or anywhere else where coverage may be spotty.

16 GB is not enough space for me. For people who think that the progression of technology means that we should be happy with yesteryear's technology are ignoring progress. We will be wishing for 64GB next year. That's progress that answers the fact that digital files are growing in size.

I have a Nexus 4, but one of the reasons I don't use it as much as my Galaxy S3 is the lack of adequate storage. It's an issue. Maybe it just means that the Nexus isn't the phone for me or the OP. I'll accept that, but I won't accept the stark push towards the cloud without mulling the greater ramifications (including privacy, actual ownership of digital files and, yeah, reliance on carrier bandwidth).

nb

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm a hard core fan of my N4. I love it, and there is no other device I would trade it for. But I do hope the next Nexus (which will NOT be out in May) has a 32gb option. I don't like walking around always knowing that if I wanted to make a 5 or 10 minute video of something, it would be a serious storage issue. It pisses me off that Google is intentionally forcing us to use the cloud when storage is dirt cheap and takes up very little physical space. That said, I know I'll buy the next Nexus (in November), even if it only has a 16gb option, and I'll live with the limitation and love the device.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I do not disagree with anything that has been said here, and I do wish that there was a 32GB option on the phone. I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan so it affects me less, but I would really like more storage.

That being said, If it is that much of an issue for you, than the Nexus 4 is not the best device for you. I personally love the device, but I do not think for a second it is the android device to recommend to everyone. It has limitations and problems, and storage is one of them.

Again, I'm not trying to shout from my soap box about how "this is the nexus way" or anything like that. If I absolutely needed LTE or 32GB for my use, I wouldn't have chosen the N4 as my device. It is not perfect and it does not fit everyone's needs. If it doesn't fit your needs, that's too bad, but that is the reality of your situation.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I can't imagine any reasonable person needing to carry 32 or 64 GB of music with them at all times. It's not like you're ever going to listen to that much music in one sitting, or in a day.

I can completely understand being concerned about hitting one's data cap (for those carriers and on those plans which have one) but it's ridiculous to assume one is going to listen to that much music.

Now, when it comes to videos, that's a little different because, of course, multimedia takes up more space than just audio or video alone, and it also therefore uses up more bandwidth. That being said, do you really need that much entertainment? Seriously? How about being productive and making something of yourself instead.

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

Yeah but not long ago mp3's were 128kbps, now they're 320. Cameras were 3-5 MP, now they're 8-13. And, nobody dreamed of putting 720p-1080p videos on their phones. Simply put, 16 gigs in today's media doesn't give you as much content as it once did.

JFH8

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
DroidModderX.com has a post stating that there will be a new LG Nexus 4 with 32G, probably released with Android 5.0.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
For 90% of users, 16gb is more then enough. I hava an 8 gb, have 15apps, 2000 photos (on cloud), 100 songs (on device) and 40 or more icon themes for launchers, and still have 95% of my usable space on my nexus left.

PaulMilander

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Geez I have a 8 gig with 3 gig of space left. I keep most of my music in the cloud and DL playlists and swap out weekly. I have drop box and box for photos and use WiFi as much as possible. How much music and video can one consume in a day??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.