could a note 2 replace my nexus 4/10 combo???

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
i am considering selling both my nexus 4 and nexus 10 and just buying a note 2... i have never owned a phone that big, but have no issues with large phones, i loved my gs3 size. i find myself using my phone more and more and my tablet less and less. and with a phablet im wondering if it would suffice both? anyone used a note 2? what are your guys' thoughts?
i like the idea of only needing one device a lot!

S-Doo-1965

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I gave up my old smart phone and tablet (WebOs) for a Note 1. Still have it, but find the nexus 7/4 combo more to my liking. Maybe its straight android over touch wiz.

Last edited:

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
i am not a fan of touchwiz either, but thats what nova launcher is for , right???? :)

dont get me wrong i love the nexus 4 and nexus 10, but i hate carrying two devices and the 10 isnt exactly pocket friendly...

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
i am considering selling both my nexus 4 and nexus 10 and just buying a note 2... i have never owned a phone that big, but have no issues with large phones, i loved my gs3 size. i find myself using my phone more and more and my tablet less and less. and with a phablet im wondering if it would suffice both? anyone used a note 2? what are your guys' thoughts?
It sure could, depending on your actual needs. That last part is important. Somebody could replace their 42" television and 22" computer monitor with a single 27" display used for both purposes. Depending on their needs, that may or may not be a good decision.

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was just playing with a Note 2 last night. If you haven't had a chance to play with the device physically in a store, you should. It can be a little off-putting how large the device is. Do not base your expectations on the size on your old GS3, the Note 2 seems substantially larger to me.

That being said, I do think the Note 2 manages to fill 90% of what both a Nexus 4 and 7 would do. However, the difference in real estate between a Nexus 10 and Note 2 is pretty substantial so it depends on what you personally do with each device. For example if you are using the N10 for a lot of multimedia that involves groups of people then the Note 2 won't do as well for you. In addition, the stylus features on the Note 2 are pretty stellar so the utility you can get from that may outweigh the productivity offered with a larger screen for documents etc.

Of course you're also posting in a Nexus forum so here is my obligatory "don't forget you're giving up Vanilla Android/Latest Android updates when you use non-Nexus devices."

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I was just playing with a Note 2 last night. If you haven't had a chance to play with the device physically in a store, you should. It can be a little off-putting how large the device is. Do not base your expectations on the size on your old GS3, the Note 2 seems substantially larger to me.

That being said, I do think the Note 2 manages to fill 90% of what both a Nexus 4 and 7 would do. However, the difference in real estate between a Nexus 10 and Note 2 is pretty substantial so it depends on what you personally do with each device. For example if you are using the N10 for a lot of multimedia that involves groups of people then the Note 2 won't do as well for you. In addition, the stylus features on the Note 2 are pretty stellar so the utility you can get from that may outweigh the productivity offered with a larger screen for documents etc.

Of course you're also posting in a Nexus forum so here is my obligatory "don't forget you're giving up Vanilla Android/Latest Android updates when you use non-Nexus devices."

Was going to say all this if no one else did. When the Note 2 was first announced with comparison pics, I considered it since it seemed like a great all-in-one device. "It's not so big," I thought. "Why, it's only a little larger than a GS3!" That all went out the window the moment I actually held one in hand. I have big hands (as in palm a basketball) but to me that thing feels enormous, almost freakishly so. For some people it's not a problem at all, and it is admittedly a fine piece of kit. But don't go by pics or stories alone. Go check one out yourself in person.

Also, vanilla Android. Love it, touch it, like Dieter's monkey.

rsxtcy4me

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Personally I like having my Nexus 7 to play on twitter/Facebook/games and random apps... And use the Nexus 4 as just a phone. That way I save the battery on my phone for when I actually need. I can run around on the 7 about an entire day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

gazoo2010

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I had the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7 and sold my N7 to buy the Note 2. I used it as my main device until march 2013. The one thing you have to understand is that the Note 2 is not a one handed device. That fact was driven home for me in February when I broke my wrist. During the time I was in a cast, the Note 2 was very cumbersome to use and I actually went back to my Galaxy Nexus. Once the cast was off, I decided to sell the Note 2 and buy the Nexus 4. I'll probably get the updated Nexus 7 when its released.

The Note 2 is a great device, but reading on the 7" screen is still more comfortable than the 5.5 screen. Also, I found that I hardly ever used the S-Pen so that functionality was lost on me.

~S

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
thanks for all the replies! i have decided to jump for one.... att let me upgrade early and i am only 5 months into my contract, so a huge thanks to att!
as far as the size, i have held one, but never owned one. i am 6'3, 245 , so i am a bigger guy, and it doesnt feel freakishly huge in one hand. how big it actually feels and whether or not it could be used one-handed would depend on the individual. i'm sure lebron james has no problem using one, and the iphone probably feels like a toy to him. so its all subjective.

i only used my tablet for media consumption, mostly youtube videos. so the need for a tablet became less important to me. one of the main reasons i wanted to consolidate. so i think i made the right choice

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
oh and a side note!

i cant wait to get a phone that has an external speaker that isnt completely muffled when placed on a flat surface, and an aux out that doesnt have to be maxed to get decent volume!
however i will miss pure android, and the unlocked phone that i can tether free without root...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084