Adding Custom Ringtones

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Using iTunes, I took one of my favorite songs and created a 24 second version. Then I put it on Dropbox so I could download it to my N4. When I pull up the file in Dropbox, the only local storage option is "Export to SD Card." Of course, the N4 doesn't use removable memory. But I tried that anyway, and it went somewhere on the phone because there wasn't an error message.

When I go to the N4's ringtone settings, there's no way to select a ringtone from another source, such as a folder in memory. Any tips? Is my only option to use an app such as Rings Extended?

mcshaggin

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if its the same but on the HTC Evo, you plug the phone into a computer as a drive and create a folder called ringtones and place your file there. Let me know if that works cuz I'm about to activate my nexus this week.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I had the original EVO before getting the N4 a few months ago. HTC's software made it easy to create ringtones, but unfortunately stock Android has nothing similar, AFAIK. I haven't tried connecting the N4 to my Mac for anything yet.

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Using iTunes, I took one of my favorite songs and created a 24 second version. Then I put it on Dropbox so I could download it to my N4. When I pull up the file in Dropbox, the only local storage option is "Export to SD Card." Of course, the N4 doesn't use removable memory. But I tried that anyway, and it went somewhere on the phone because there wasn't an error message.

When I go to the N4's ringtone settings, there's no way to select a ringtone from another source, such as a folder in memory. Any tips? Is my only option to use an app such as Rings Extended?

Open your app drawer and check the Downloads file for the ringtone file. Once you locate it, you will need to connect your Nexus to a computer to move the ringtone from where ever it is, into the Ringtone folder. A ringtone folder is already created on the Nexus 4, unlike the original EVO 4G.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I tried Bluetoothing it from the iMac to the N4. That worked, and it even briefly showed the location, but it's an obscure path.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
You probably need to connect to a PC and start poking around in the various files. =\

Yup. I went to Android.com and downloaded Android File Transfer. I used that to find the Ringtones folder. Then I dragged in the ringtone file I created. Last step was choosing that file from the ringtone menu on the N4. A bit of work, but I'd rather do that than install an app.

Hopefully this thread will benefit others.

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Yup. I went to Android.com and downloaded Android File Transfer. I used that to find the Ringtones folder. Then I dragged in the ringtone file I created. Last step was choosing that file from the ringtone menu on the N4. A bit of work, but I'd rather do that than install an app.

Hopefully this thread will benefit others.

Where did Dropbox end up saving it to?

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
/storage/emulated/0/Download/
/storage/emulated/0/Bluetooth/

=>
/storage/emulated/0/Alarms/
/storage/emulated/0/Notifications/
/storage/emulated/0/Ringtones/

Members online

Trending Posts