Searching for GPS

mbalsaritchie

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I have just found out that my phone has the searching for GPS issue. Does anyone know if this issue can be resolved, or do you need to send it back for a replacement.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Do you have Access to my location turned on (in settings)? Do you have any battery savor apps running that turn gps off, or do you turn it off when you're not using it? I leave mine on 24/7 and it gets a lock in about 1 second.

mbalsaritchie

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
All the ticks are present for turning on my location, but I only turn GPS on when needed. The only program I have which uses GPS is Google maps, but that's only for navigate.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If you only turn GPS on when you need it, it's going to take longer to get a lock (you'll see more "searching for GPS"). I don't know why you would ever turn it off. GPS is a receiver, not a transmitter. Keeping it off is not going to extend your battery life...at least not to any noticeable degree.

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I started having this problem in December 2012 and I have spent countless hours looking for a fix including but not limited to:
phone resets, clearing cache, battery pulls, changing the settings in Location services, uninstalling maps, reinstalling maps, rooting, custom ROMS, removing my case, running GPStoolbox, FasterFix, FasterGPS, and numerous other apps. There is even a "fix" saying remove the back and tighten all the little phillips head screws.

Here's what I know.....this Searching for gps problem has been reported on all types of android phones, Nexus and non Nexus, on all versions of ICS and Jellybean, on new out of the box phones and phones where one day the gps works and the next day it does not, it has nothing to do with downloading a new app, it happens on rooted and non-rooted, custom ROMS, stock ROMS, on Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint...and most importantly Google knows about it this problem. June 2012 Daniel M. Community Manager, Google Maps started a Google thread under Google maps asking for input on this very problem. Unfortunately the thread is now 21 pages deep with people reporting the problem. There are at least 10 other threads in Google forums with people asking about this problem as well. Daniel M has remained completely silent on this issue since he first asked for input.

Google Groups

I've tried every "fix" I could find in XDA and my SG3 just got a map update on May 15, 2013 and I still have the Searching for GPS problem.

Sultan Aziz

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I have just found out that my phone has the searching for GPS issue. Does anyone know if this issue can be resolved, or do you need to send it back for a replacement.

Have just got a solution after being failed trying few option listed here. As I realized , earlier I downloaded a apps on sunrise sunset which require device location, but from the very beginning that apps could not retrieve device location. And from that date my gps not working. Just now removed that apps , and getting GPS location in order. Wish you good luck

andoc

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone discover any new information on this problem?

I'm currently having this issue. All my various GPS apps are "Searching for GPS" , "Looking for GPS" ... etc

I've tried most of the things recommended except for rooting my phone. The apps that are enabled in location request settings are GPS Status, GPS Test, Google App, Google Play Services, Google Play Store, maps and my cell providers app. Some are high battery usage, others are low but none have been able to fully lock onto my position?

Any further developments on how to fix this frustrating problem? Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes