Nexus 4 Questions and Problems

Thomas Hendricks

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

So, I received my brand new Nexus 4, 8gig version.

Out of the box it was running Android 4.2 - build JOP40C.

This is my first smart phone, so I went to google play and started loading up on apps that I wanted.

I noticed though that my phone would connect via the photo mode ok - appearing as a device in my computer and letting me see the pictures folder. But when I set it to be an MTP device I couldn't see anything. (Im running Win 7)

I figured this was a driver issue - the next thing I did was to get the nexus root toolkit and unlock and root my device.

I presumed this worked, but my phone remained invisible if connected as an MTP device.

I then tried to use the nexus root toolkit to update to 4.2.2 (I downloaded the files from google's dev page called occam or something) and tried to apply these (making sure to follow every step) however the command prompt pops up and it gives a list of things it's doing and times to complete, eventually it says not found for a few items and finishes by saying 'failed'.

So my phone is still 4.2. I used superSU to unroot, and deleted the box free software (can't recall the exact name) and tried again to update, again to no avail.

I've got no mobile web left, so I'll try to find a wifi today to do an OTA update. Does anybody have any ideas as to how/why my phone is not visible in my computer when connected as an MTP device, and further more why nexus root toolkit cannot update the android version?

Help will be much appreciated!

Regards

Edit - should I just try this? http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...3923-guide-nexus-4-factory-image-restore.html

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Woah you sort of got a bit carried away lol. I dont think it was necessary to go flashing things unless you wanted to of course.

Try this
Settings > Storage > Menu > USB connection and make sure MTP is selected
Also are you sure you have no password or code on your lockscreen?

Thomas Hendricks

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

Thanks for the fast reply :)

I've tried both MTP and the photo setting.

Do you mean it needs to be on MTP in order to flash to the newer android version? Or in order to read in 'my computer'?

Awesome link in your sig - once I'm all good to go I'll certainly give a few of those a spin!

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't matter what setting it is on in order to flash a newer version as it would use the adb and fastboot drivers you installed. I'm talking about getting it to recognise on your computer. If you are desperately trying to get something off your phone or something onto your phone then you could use adb push and pull commands even though your computer doesnt recognise it as a portable device atm

Thomas Hendricks

May 6, 2013
Visit site
There's nothing urgent at all.

I just want it working 100% so I can use the device to it's fullest. Hmm, I've changed around to another USB port and now it seems to work? Perhaps I have a faulty USB port on my laptop? Strange as all my ports read my flash sticks fine.

Anyway, now that one problem is solved, onto the next - I'll try to flash it to 4.2.2 today. It should be fine to do this, no? Given that I've used Super SU to unroot and deleted the busybox free app.

Again - thanks for the help - even if I'm a total android noobie, I'd like to learn and really make the thing work for me.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah lol.. Forgot to mention that simple step. Sometimes it doesnt recognise on a usb port but it will on another usb port on the same computer.

Erm, you should receive some kind of notification if you haven't already about an update. If not, you should be able to check for software updates somewhere in the settings. If it says youre up to date then try restarting the phone and see what happens.

Thomas Hendricks

May 6, 2013
Visit site
So I should rather do it OTA? This won't be a problem with my unlocked bootloader?

I'll have to wait and find WIFI, I only get new bandwidth on the 10th of each month, I've already blown it all playing on youtube and downloading apps.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to accept the OTA with an unlocked bootloader and even rooted, as long as you haven't changed any system files. This would be the easier option, but if you wanted to do it manually then it is quite possible and not very hard.