Thinking about leaving Verizon for T-Mobile, quick tethering question

batt1719

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon with Unlimited data. My question is in regards to the WiFi tethering with the Nexus 4. On my GN I currently use Fattin WiFi Toggle to get around the Verizon Tethering Fee. I use between 10-50 GB a month in tethering. This is primarily for iPad tethering for wathcing Netflix and iPod tehering for music. I undersatand that T-Mobile will block Https site and what not, but has anyone used the Nexus 4 to stream videos from a tablet without issue.

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've used my Nexus 4 to tether my Nexus 7 to watch videos with no problems on tmobile. Not 50gbs worth, maybe 2gb a month. I almost always do it via bluetooth.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I haven't streamed videos either but I have used it to download shows from iTunes. I used 5GB in one day and never heard a word from T-Mobile.

Jake d82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I am able to tether tablet no problem. Laptops however they block. Unless you spoof user agent. That was on prepaid plan. Haven't tried it on a normal plan.

Posted via Android Central App

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon with Unlimited data. My question is in regards to the WiFi tethering with the Nexus 4. On my GN I currently use Fattin WiFi Toggle to get around the Verizon Tethering Fee. I use between 10-50 GB a month in tethering. This is primarily for iPad tethering for wathcing Netflix and iPod tehering for music. I undersatand that T-Mobile will block Https site and what not, but has anyone used the Nexus 4 to stream videos from a tablet without issue.

I seriously doubt you'll get away with that kind of tethering on any prepaid plan, but unlimited data is going to be gone soon anyway. Have you considered watching some of your videos on a TV? I know it's cool to watch stuff on a tablet (I see people having loads of fun doing it in commercials all the time), but it's remarkable how much better everything looks a larger screen with better sound. Your wallet will be much happier on Tmobile. When I left Verizon my bill went from $250/month to $90 per month for 2 phones.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
That being said, when T-Mobile first introduced the $70 unlimited pre-paid/post-paid plans, you could add the tethering feature to the plan and it would stick. Unlimited tethering, that is. Now that they've re-branded, you're not supposed to be able to add it, but it is possible. Supposedly they'll kick you at the 20GB mark and pull the tethering feature from your plan. However, if you are running a custom ROM/kernel, it removes the on-device methods used to track tethering usage. That's not to say they can't detect it, however.

I tether via multiple devices, so I can't say for certain what luck you'll have if you switch. I haven't reached the 20GB mark on any single T-Mobile line I have.

Esteban4u

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The majority of Verizon's Android Enthusiast customers including those who still have the Galaxy Nexus like myself WILL be leaving their service if they don't carry the Google Nexus 5. This will happen because the growing consensus among Android enthusiasts is that they are tired of Verizon's death grip-like control (locked bootloaders, bloatware and delayed/non-existant Android OS updates) of their Android devices. If they don't believe this, they should take a look at their own community forums and those of the most popular Android tech blogs on the internet (simply do a Google search with the terms "leaving verizon" "nexus 5" and you'll see what I mean). For many of them, the detriment of loosing grandfathered unlimited data, like myself, will no longer compel them to stay on Verizon's service. Simply carrying the Google Nexus 5 won't be enough though. Unlike the Galaxy Nexus, It has to be UNTOUCHED by their usual Android device business practices, the way Google meant it to be. I post this on Google Plus with a "+Verizon Wireless" to maybe grab their attention and give them a heads-up, in case they haven't been paying attention / listening to what your customers want.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The majority of Verizon's Android Enthusiast customers including those who still have the Galaxy Nexus like myself WILL be leaving their service if they don't carry the Google Nexus 5. This will happen because the growing consensus among Android enthusiasts is that they are tired of Verizon's death grip-like control (locked bootloaders, bloatware and delayed/non-existant Android OS updates) of their Android devices. If they don't believe this, they should take a look at their own community forums and those of the most popular Android tech blogs on the internet (simply do a Google search with the terms "leaving verizon" "nexus 5" and you'll see what I mean). For many of them, the detriment of loosing grandfathered unlimited data, like myself, will no longer compel them to stay on Verizon's service. Simply carrying the Google Nexus 5 won't be enough though. Unlike the Galaxy Nexus, It has to be UNTOUCHED by their usual Android device business practices, the way Google meant it to be. I post this on Google Plus with a "+Verizon Wireless" to maybe grab their attention and give them a heads-up, in case they haven't been paying attention / listening to what your customers want.

Assuming you live remotely close to an area where there are more humans than cattle etc., just leave VZW and you'll be happily saving money whilst enjoying all the Nexus lovin' you're wishing for. That's what many of us did for the Nexus 4 and you don't see Verizon caring in the least. The Nexus 5 will not be on Verizon...the hardware just isn't there. Verizon and Google clearly do not see eye to eye on A LOT of things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol