Looks like Nexus 5 will stay on Fall release schedule

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Some people were speculating whether Google will jump to a Nexus 5 early at this years I/O instead of the usual Oct/Nov schedule but it doesn't look that way from today's AC news headlines:

In an interview with Wired, Pichai, who also heads up Google Chrome, says that it isn't a time when the company has "much in the way of launches of new products or a new operating system," suggesting major device launches won't be the focus of the conference

Perhaps they might announce the rumored Nexus 4 LTE phone (although I doubt it, those rumors look pretty sketchy) at I/O. I'm betting it's probably going to be a new Nexus 7 tablet we've seen talked about more often. Looks like this year's I/O is mostly going to be related to Chrome and Android software.

That's fine by me. I couldn't justify grabbing a slightly updated N4 with the prospect of an N5 coming so soon after that, which is a much stronger bet. I also can't see a Motorola X being announced at a Google I/O because of the signal that would send to other OEM's who would take very poorly to Google announcing a Moto branded phone at their I/O without them receiving the same treatment.

My speculation for 2013 is that I/O is going to focus mostly on software and development as they've stated with the possibility of a new 7" Nexus tablet, the Motorola X Phone being launched independently this summer followed by the Nexus 5 with LTE in the Fall.

...Followed by multitudes of threads with vicious infighting between the owners of S4, HTC One, X Phone, and N5 LOL :p

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Who was ever speculating their product cycle had changed? Doubt it was anyone remotely "in the loop." At this point, we have a solid idea of what's going to be covered at Google I/O. I agree that it's highly unlikely for any Moto specific devices to be unveiled, it's just not the right place for it (if they really aren't going to favor Moto over other OEMs).

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have owned all four Nexus phones, and most likely will get the Nexus-Five this Fall.

But all the Nexus phones have been on a Nov/Dec release time. Don't know where this rumor started of the N5 being at I/O this week ? That's totally unrealistic. The N4 is only 6 or 7 months old or so, no way they come our with a new Nexus phone that quick.

Expect the LG Nexus-Five, running Android 5.0.1. Released between Oct - Dec.

Posted via Android Central App

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
^^^Knowing that "all" OEMs will be bidding to build the next Nexus and that Google makes their selection largely based on innovation, I see HTC fitting the bill perfectly for 2013 with their "BoomSound" aka front facing stereo speakers and "ultrapixel" technology. LG wowed Google with their build quality and wireless charging. Following the assumed success of the One and the growing Nexi brand awareness/following, it could really be a win/win for both companies, but especially for HTC. Think of the One as a Nexus sporting next generation specs...

At this point, the only thing I can guarantee is I will own it:D Most likely for next to nothing after passing on my N4. Thank you Google and prepaid!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Who was ever speculating their product cycle had changed? Doubt it was anyone remotely "in the loop." At this point, we have a solid idea of what's going to be covered at Google I/O. I agree that it's highly unlikely for any Moto specific devices to be unveiled, it's just not the right place for it (if they really aren't going to favor Moto over other OEMs).

Exactly. Forums have been loaded with "Nexus 5 at I/O 2013" rumors for months, ever since some sketchy rumors surfaced earlier this year about LG working on a new Nexus device. But I've yet to see or read one reputable source that claims this, as all the proof has always revolved around the same rumors. The side effect of this is that even people who don't believe the rumors get that nugget implanted into their brains, and they may not always remember the source. They only remember that somewhere, someone mentioned the possibility.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
This is what I expect this week at Google I/O;

- Android 4.3 announced, and released soon after
- new Nexus 7 tablet, higher res display, better hardware, running 4.3
- maybe the white Nexus 4 released, and possibly a Sprint Nexus 4 with their CDMA and LTE radios.

That's it, nothing else. And then this Fall, will be the big deal, with the Nexus-Five phone released between October to December, running Android 5.0. I would guess will be made by either, LG, HTC, or Sony. Rumors seem to point to LG again.

Andrew Hazlett

May 13, 2013
Visit site
The rumors I've seen about a Verizon-compatible Nexus 4 are likely bogus, right?

I'm also looking to make the jump from iOS to a Nexus iteration. The problem is I'm locked in to Verizon for another full year. Blech. I'm happy to buy an unsubsidized phone, but I'm guessing it won't be possible to get a "pure" Android experience on Verizon.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The side effect of this is that even people who don't believe the rumors get that nugget implanted into their brains, and they may not always remember the source. They only remember that somewhere, someone mentioned the possibility.

I'm going to have to try this if that really works!

"Jessica Alba wants me bad"

:D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante