Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
1) Apple is on top.
Not world wide. They lost that battle a long time ago.

No smartphone manufacturer brings in their level of profits, and no smartphone as ever outsold an iPhone. How do you not think they're on top?
Marketshare.

Also, the Galaxy S3 alone did outsell the iPhone in Q3 of 2012...
Samsung Galaxy S3 is world's best selling smartphone | News | TechRadar
So you are factually incorrect there.

That's what's sells: marketing and features.
So where did all of Apple's Marketshare go to? I think we can agree Apple trumps everyone else for marketing, right?

iPhone sales projections are now so low it?s ridiculous
iPhone sales projections are now so low it
Maybe this might explain why it's stock also took a nose dive eh?

You said it yourself, features matter to the general consumer. Following that logic, why would the general consumer chose the relatively featureless stock Android over an OS as feature packed as TouchWiz?
Features matter if all else is equal. In this case it is not. Touchwiz lacks some features stock Android has (like Photosphere) and in the process lags the system down (this becomes obvious in a direct comparison...I have a video if you want to see it). Samsung's additional features come at a price.

This might not matter if Samsung had some killer feature that everyone wants. But the features are gimmicky IMO...I think people are buying the GS3 because of it's hardware (display, camera ect) not Touchwiz. And yeah, I do think SD and battery are part of it as well.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Yes it did outsell the iPhone.

It is telling that Apple is no longer even trying to compete with Android as a whole, but with specific Android phones now.

Hahahah please tell me you read the article you quoted.

Because in no way does that support your argument. I mean really now, you went so far as to quote the Huffington Post for goodness sake, at least read the garbage. To paraphrase it, no where does it say the GS3 outsold the iPhone 5. Furthermore, nowhere does it even say the GS3 sold better, as a whole, than the iPhone 4S.

And Apple has created the same product at the same price point since 2007(or thereabouts). They've had the same competition and goals since day one. Apple never adapted to building entry level phones because owning an iPhone was a sign of exclusivity, something Android has obviously never been able to say.

You're inventing this idea that Apple went from trying to rule the world to refocusing itself in merely beating one or two top Android flagships.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
You're inventing this idea that Apple went from trying to rule the world to refocusing itself in merely beating one or two top Android flagships.
I am dispelling the myth that Apple still owns this market. They have been in decline for a long time now.

I can remember when Apple people were telling me there was no way Android would ever pass up iOS Phones. Then they were telling me the same thing with tablets. How the times have changed eh?

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Not world wide. They lost that battle a long time ago.

Marketshare.

Also, the Galaxy S3 alone did outsell the iPhone in Q3 of 2012...
Samsung Galaxy S3 is world's best selling smartphone | News | TechRadar
So you are factually incorrect there.

So where did all of Apple's Marketshare go to? I think we can agree Apple trumps everyone else for marketing, right?

Maybe this might explain why it's stock also took a nose dive eh?

Features matter if all else is equal. In this case it is not. Touchwiz lacks some features stock Android has (like Photosphere) and in the process lags the system down (this becomes obvious in a direct comparison...I have a video if you want to see it). Samsung's additional features come at a price.

This might not matter if Samsung had some killer feature that everyone wants. But the features are gimmicky IMO...I think people are buying the GS3 because of it's hardware (display, camera ect) not Touchwiz. And yeah, I do think SD and battery are part of it as well.

1) Compare the iPhone's market against any other one specific device. Of course Android dominates the market as a whole, entry level Android devices have replaced feature phones.

2) Hahahah. So the GS3 outsold the iPhone 4S, an older model, in one month. Boy, you're right, now we can go ahead and declare that GS3 smartphones outsell iPhone's.

3) Samsung spent more marketing the GS3,specifically, than Apple did on the iPhone 5.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I am dispelling the myth that Apple still owns this market. They have been in decline for a long time now.

I can remember when Apple people were telling me there was no way Android would ever pass up iOS Phones. Then they were telling me the same thing with tablets. How the times have changed eh?

You conveniently didn't acknowledge my point about that absurd Huffington Post article you posted...

Apple still does quite well. Finally there are Android phones that can do battle with the iPhone, but the iPhone was and still remains a premium device. Apple has clearly not concerned itself with the market as they've refused to adapt their product lines, which speaks more to Apple's business strategies rather than their product line.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Please refrain from directing snide comments at me, this is the second time I've had to ask you this now.

Ty.

Sent from my (fill in the blank) phone using (fill in the blank software)

Looks like I know your answer. Time to move on with people that actually want to discuss relevant topics.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It's a clear two horse race.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You conveniently didn't acknowledge my point about that absurd Huffington Post article you posted...

Apple still does quite well. Finally there are Android phones that can do battle with the iPhone, but the iPhone was and still remains a premium device. Apple has clearly not concerned itself with the market as they've refused to adapt their product lines, which speaks more to Apple's business strategies rather than their product line.

In terms of fit and finish, maybe the iPhone is a premium device.

But in terms of cost, most iPhone customers will buy the phone for the same price as a GS4.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

They do change, which is why your premise of a "won" war seems very incongruent with your above statement. As always expect all of these devices to become overshadowed in a mere 6-8 months or so. That's not to say they won't still be good devices. I mean that traditionally android flagships don't stay at the top of the pile for very long.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If T-mobile offers it on an installment plan, yes. Otherwise, no.

That's what the un-subsidized means. It's a payment plan in which the device must be paid off in 20 months. Not all of their plans are un-sub. I think what they call their value plan (Not trying to be sarcastic, I am not a T-Mo subscriber, so I don't know for sure).

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
That's what the un-subsidized means. It's a payment plan in which the device must be paid off in 20 months. Not all of their plans are un-sub. I think what they call their value plan (Not trying to be sarcastic, I am not a T-Mo subscriber, so I don't know for sure).

All plans are unsubsidized.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Yes it did outsell the iPhone.

It is telling that Apple is no longer even trying to compete with Android as a whole, but with specific Android phones now.

Key word in that article is shipped. Samsung has never outsold apple model for model.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Key word in that article is shipped. Samsung has never outsold apple model for model.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Read the article he linked. It stated the GS3 outsold the 4S during one specific month (or quarter) haha. Doesn't even acknowledge the fact that the GS3 was aimed more towards competing with the iPhone 5.

Comical. Mr. Denver doesn't seem to have a firm grasp on this subject.

-----------
@Ry (Tapatalk won't let me quote you)- I'm simply making the point that the iPhone is a premium device. Quality materials, good build quality. It's sold as a high end device, which the main selling point being exclusivity. Now, to clarify, I'm a thorough Android guy, and love my Nexus 4. I'm just keeping the discussion realistic here; the iPhone is a very good product.

anon(161369)

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Cheap plastic phone that now has less features than the carrier version? No... I'll stick with my N4 till the next nexus.., this phone feels like an attempt to remind people that the Galaxy line runs ANDROID, made by Google not Samsung....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel