Google talk update (to hangouts)

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I hate Hangout!!! I upgraded just to see what it was all about and ALL MY 1000 Facebook friends showed up. I use this program with two - maybe three people total so we don't have to eat up our SMS amount ... I cannot find a way to not pull in my Facebook friends to the list. All their phone numbers are showing, etc. I DO NOT LIKE THIS ONE BIT!

They are there because u have them as contacts synced with ur phone, and readily available if u want to invite them to join hangouts.....
They aren't there for them to chat with u whenever they want lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

sddfdds

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if theres a way to confirm multiple numbers? (ie my google voice number and the phone's actual number) Granted, I pretty much only need the voice number to be confirmed since it is my primary number, but just wondering if its possible just in case.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if theres a way to confirm multiple numbers? (ie my google voice number and the phone's actual number) Granted, I pretty much only need the voice number to be confirmed since it is my primary number, but just wondering if its possible just in case.

You confirm your phone's number and google account and it automatically confirms your gvoice number as well.

While it doesn't integrate sms or gvoice yet there's evidence that it's being planned, and Google pretty much confirmed it. I noticed when someone called me yesterday the Hangouts pop up on my Google+ browser page rang for it, something that never used to happen. Used to be only Talk in a Gmail window would notify you of a call.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

I just got the update a bit ago and when it confirmed my cell number, it told me it would be confirming my Google Voice number also. It also gave me an option to switch the primary number.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
So I just had the update in Gmail, and there is a way to know whether your contact is idle or not. If your contact is active, there is a green bar under their profile picture to let you know your contact can reply to you straight away. I don't see the same in the android app, but if they do it in the browser perhaps it will come to android.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
As a general note to everyone: a lot of valid complaints about the lackluster features and lacking functionality or Hangouts, imperfections, etc, but here's the thing about Google I've noticed over the last 2 years being an Android enthusiast..

Google innovates and comes up with new ideas, apps, and features. Much more and better than Apple or any of the other competitors. And they will often introduce their new stuff when it's not quite perfected yet. Most of us have seen that with new Android versions and other new Google apps; when the new things are first given to us there are always these same complaints but if you fast forward a bit they almost always turn into great things. The guys at Google get excited about their new innovations as much as we do and they don't mind giving us almost "beta" versions of them to play with. Contrast that with Apple for example, who will take much longer to introduce something new, but generally when they do its a better initial experience than it is with Google's new thing (let's leave out their uncharacteristic Apple Maps fiasco for the sake of this point). It was like this with Google Drive at first, Google+, many new major Android versions, etc etc..

I love and much prefer Google's way, and that's why I've learned to not go crazy when the new experiments seem underwhelming at first. I understand and love the process and look forward to seeing where it all goes, which is almost always somewhere awesome.

So hangouts will have some time and I am very optimistic that this new idea has the potential to become something very very useful in due time, which we'll all grow to love soon enough.

I'm also a few beers deep, hence the long ramble. Happy Friday everyone :beer:

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So I just had the update in Gmail, and there is a way to know whether your contact is idle or not. If your contact is active, there is a green bar under their profile picture to let you know your contact can reply to you straight away. I don't see the same in the android app, but if they do it in the browser perhaps it will come to android.

The G+ web version, as well as the chrome extension for the desktop type app do the same.

On the mobile version, look at the profile picture. if they are active it looks normal, if they are inactive it is greyed out.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Whether the picture is greyed out or not in the android app is not equivalent to the green underlining in the gmail / g+ web version. The green underlining tells you whether a contact is "green" as opposed to "orange" (I suppose red contacts don't exist anymore with hangouts). The greying out tells you if a contacts is offline vs online.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if they made this a 1 stop SMS/mms/email app. Where u could have normal contacts, email chats, Facebook chats all in one

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Whether the picture is greyed out or not in the android app is not equivalent to the green underlining in the gmail / g+ web version. The green underlining tells you whether a contact is "green" as opposed to "orange" (I suppose red contacts don't exist anymore with hangouts). The greying out tells you if a contacts is offline vs online.

Everyone is online 24/7 as long as their phone is on.....(and logged in of course)

Lid box mean the person is a active within the hangouts app, grayed means the person is idle.

We can message the person whenever we want regardless. When we sent SMS, we don't know if the person is there or not, we just wait for a reply. Hangouts is and will be the same as that, specially since in the future it will have actual SMS integration.

My guess is, if the person doesn't have hangouts (which all Android devices natively will) and we sent an SMS through hangouts, the person will receive it through their stock SMS app.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Lid box mean the person is a active within the hangouts app, grayed means the person is idle.

I don't think this is correct. Grayed means the person is offline. As you say people who have android phones are online almost 24/7.

But you can be online and idle, for example when your screen is off. The hangouts android app doesn't give you that information anymore. But the Web version does, in the form of a green underlining of the profile picture of the contacts who are active.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this is correct. Grayed means the person is offline. As you say people who have android phones are online almost 24/7.

But you can be online and idle, for example when your screen is off. The hangouts android app doesn't give you that information anymore. But the Web version does, in the form of a green underlining of the profile picture of the contacts who are active.

I tested it with my wife's phone and mine. Opened both hangouts, both squares went solid lid. I backed out of hangouts in one phone (still remained online) and the box grayed out.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
It seems we are talking about different profile pictures! You are talking about the one inside the hangout, whereas I was talking about the one of the contact list. So with your method you can know the status of someone who you have already interacted with, which is good to know. It's still not possible to know if someone is idle or not by looking at the contact list only, like you can do on the web version.
I tested it with my wife's phone and mine. Opened both hangouts, both squares went solid lid. I backed out of hangouts in one phone (still remained online) and the box grayed out.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
And even then. One of my friend has the green underlining bar in the web version but his picture in our hangout is grayed out.

co500

May 21, 2012
Visit site
As a general note to everyone: a lot of valid complaints about the lackluster features and lacking functionality or Hangouts, imperfections, etc, but here's the thing about Google I've noticed over the last 2 years being an Android enthusiast..

....The guys at Google get excited about their new innovations as much as we do and they don't mind giving us almost "beta" versions of them to play with.......

We are beta testers, who better to than the people will be using them. And tbh Google will have the biggest results, assuming all 900m of us Android lovers will get the app updates

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Google innovates and comes up with new ideas, apps, and features. Much more and better than Apple or any of the other competitors. And they will often introduce their new stuff when it's not quite perfected yet. Most of us have seen that with new Android versions and other new Google apps; when the new things are first given to us there are always these same complaints but if you fast forward a bit they almost always turn into great things. The guys at Google get excited about their new innovations as much as we do and they don't mind giving us almost "beta" versions of them to play with. Contrast that with Apple for example, who will take much longer to introduce something new, but generally when they do its a better initial experience than it is with Google's new thing (let's leave out their uncharacteristic Apple Maps fiasco for the sake of this point). It was like this with Google Drive at first, Google+, many new major Android versions, etc etc..

I love and much prefer Google's way, and that's why I've learned to not go crazy when the new experiments seem underwhelming at first. I understand and love the process and look forward to seeing where it all goes, which is almost always somewhere awesome.

So hangouts will have some time and I am very optimistic that this new idea has the potential to become something very very useful in due time, which we'll all grow to love soon enough.

I'm also a few beers deep, hence the long ramble. Happy Friday everyone :beer:

thank you for explaining to people who complain. I have had similar experience with google.
they always update and improve. so many features that people complained about drive and books are now on those apps.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
From what I can see, there is no way to tell if someone is active or available on the phone. All my icons look same no matter what. I don't use Google+, nor any of my contacts, so that may be a factor. I just did a video call with my wife and it worked great. At first she wasn't sure how to answer it, since that isn't clear on the screen. My only problem is we have to do it wifi since freaking AT&T has video calls blocked on their network.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey