Google + hangouts Cant sign in.. [Updated with solution]

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
anyone else getting "couldn't sign in because we couldn't reach Google. try again?" I have updated from the web and I keep getting this message.

Posted via Android Central App

[UPDATE}

Thanks Mathew Paret

Yesterday, 11:44 PM #10
Mathew Paret

Posts1 Posts
Found a solution that works.

Use some app to take backup of Google Play Services (ES File Explorer can do it for you) and save the apk locally. This is recommended because after the next step you may not be able to connect and re-download the update over Mobile Data. It would work on WiFi however.
Go to Manage Apps > Google Play Services
Do "Uninstall" / "Uninstall Updates" for Google Play Services
Google Hangout will automatically ask you to Install or Update Google Play Services.
If you "Uninstalled Updates", then the app would update over Mobile Data when you click on update in Google Play. After this go to Step #8
If you "Uninstalled" the app completely, you wouldn't find it in Google Play. So install it from the backup created in Step #1.
Now go to Google Play and install any updates for Google Play Services.
Now open Google Hangout. It may still show you a connection issue for a couple for times.
Don't lose your heart. It should work after you try for a maximum of 1-2 times.
Thank me and go ahead to chat with your girlfriend

Last edited:

vivitar

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google + hangouts

I still have the talk app no hangouts app. play.google.com gives me the option to open but it opens talk instead. :confused: Oh well, I only know a few people that actually use google+ sadly.

Joseph Kennedy1

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Got it working. Here's what I did.

01. Boot to recovery.
02. Clear data
03. Clear cache
04. Clear dalvik cache
05. Re-flash ROM
06. Flash gapps. (If a 4.2.2 ROM make sure you use correct Gapps)
07. Fix permissions (just to be safe)
08. boot system
09. do your log in crap
10. Go to computer (not phone), play store site, tell it to install to your phone, if your play store is not 4.1.6, it will ask you to update
11. Hangouts will install, then say you need to up date play services, it will prompt you, say yes
12. enjoy

Sorry it's such a hassle, at least it was for me.

Mathew Paret

May 17, 2013
Visit site

1. Use some app to take backup of Google Play Services (ES File Explorer can do it for you) and save the apk locally. This is recommended because after the next step you may not be able to connect and re-download the update over Mobile Data. It would work on WiFi however.
  2. Go to Manage Apps > Google Play Services
  3. Do "Uninstall" / "Uninstall Updates" for Google Play Services
  4. Google Hangout will automatically ask you to Install or Update Google Play Services.
  5. If you "Uninstalled Updates", then the app would update over Mobile Data when you click on update in Google Play. After this go to Step #8
  6. If you "Uninstalled" the app completely, you wouldn't find it in Google Play. So install it from the backup created in Step #1.
  7. Now go to Google Play and install any updates for Google Play Services.
  8. Now open Google Hangout. It may still show you a connection issue for a couple for times.
  9. Don't lose your heart. It should work after you try for a maximum of 1-2 times.
  10. Thank me and go ahead to chat with your girlfriend :)

rebootfl0k

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

Beautiful. Uninstalling Updates for Google Play Services did the trick.

Hangouts then told me I had to update Google Play Services. This occurred, then hangouts logged in.

Thank you very much. This was driving me crazy.

Reboot.

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site

1. Use some app to take backup of Google Play Services (ES File Explorer can do it for you) and save the apk locally. This is recommended because after the next step you may not be able to connect and re-download the update over Mobile Data. It would work on WiFi however.
  4. Google Hangout will automatically ask you to Install or Update Google Play Services.
  5. If you "Uninstalled Updates", then the app would update over Mobile Data when you click on update in Google Play. After this go to Step #8
  6. If you "Uninstalled" the app completely, you wouldn't find it in Google Play. So install it from the backup created in Step #1.
  8. Now open Google Hangout. It may still show you a connection issue for a couple for times.
  9. Don't lose your heart. It should work after you try for a maximum of 1-2 times.

Dude...I love you man!!!!

Victor Kim

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Hasn't fixed the issue for me. I've tried opening Hangouts 5 times already. Is "1-2 times" a generalization? should I just keep retrying? anyone else having this issue after this seemingly fool-proof solution?

Ralph Cortes

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Have you solved yours? I still keep getting the error..went as far as uninstalling all google apps and reupdating to no avail.
Installed it on my old SGS with slimroms and it worked flawlessly..just cant figure out why it wont work on my note 2 with rooted stock rom.

Last edited:

Dominik Martinez

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm still having problems too. If it makes any difference, the problem appeared after I switched to a new email address.

Edit: Well, this morning I tried it and it worked without doing anything...weird.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles