stock keyboard

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello. So while I love my n4, one thing always pops up that irks me- the dang keyboard while sending text msg. While the keyboard is working as intended, I find the predictive text (suggested words on top of the keyboard) a pain in the ****. With my Nokia 710, the predictive texting worked excellent. I find that if I don't know the correct spelling of a word that the predictive text starts putting up these strange word combinations that are in no way relevant to what I am looking for and thus I find myself hitting the microphone button on my keyboard and saying the word, which shows up properly. Its just annoying that I have to do this. Especially when I try multiple times to find the correct spelling of at least half the word I'm looking for for it to show up on the top so I can click on it. Any suggestions on how to refine the word suggestions would be great. Thanks all!

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
What kinds of words are causing problems? I work in telecom, and stock keyboards always struggle with terms such as FTTH, CDMA and Gig-E. But I rarely have odd suggestions with everyday words. A few examples might help us make some suggestions.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm really tired and I was, lol, struggling to spell the word taught. My phone kept thinking I wanted tough, or through, or to opt. The dang word "taught" would not show up under the suggestions. This happens with many many words. On my Nokia 710, the proper words would have been there to choose from. Thanks.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem is the predictions are trying to _complete_ words for you. If you don't know how to spell the word, the predictions are going to fail...

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
If it continues to be a headache, you might look into a keyboard app such as Adaptxt. There are lots out there, and many claim to be better at predicting than the stock keyboard. Read the reviews on blogs to help choose the right one. The blogs will do a deeper dive into features, disadvantages, etc. than the reviews in the Play Store.

I used Adaptxt on my EVO and liked it but uninstalled it because of all the Sprint and HTC crapware, which left little room for big apps such as Adptxt. I haven't tried it on my N4 because I've been pretty happy with the stock keyboard.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Well I do like auto correction (sometimes lol). Are the other text apps required data be turned on all the time? And will they work with WiFi? I'll give Adaptxt a try. Thanks for the suggestions.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Are the other text apps required data be turned on all the time? And will they work with WiFi?

I don't know about the others, but with Adaptxt, all of the predictive smarts reside on your device, so the app isn't constantly pinging a server for suggestions.

Adaptxt also has several specialized dictionaries for various professions. Those reside on the phone, as well.