New Google Now Reminders

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody got these to work with a location? I have set up a couple of these with both an address and even a town, and even when passing completely through the set town I get no notification nor does the reminder appear in Google Now.

The time based ones do however put up a notification and card in Now. :what:

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tried that yet, but I'll be on the road a lot today. Tell me how to configure a location-based reminder, and I'll report back.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
You can say something like "remind me to get paint at Home Depot" or " remind me to call Bob when I get to San Francisco".

These will bring up a set reminder card in Now. You can also set one up manually in Google Now>Menu>Set Reminder.

dtfamily

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I've set up reminders for home and work. On some occasions I will get the reminder after I have been at the location after an hour or more, and sometimes I don't get notified at all? It's showing my location accurately on the phone- just the reminders aren't working correctly. Is this actually working for anyone? I mean, if you go to a location wtih a reminder, do you a) get a reminder, and b) a reminder right away- not hours after you've arrived at the location? I need to determine if it's not working yet, or if I may have an interfering app... THANKS!

Last edited:

dorblayzer

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
i dont know if its in the new update, or it was before, but i had an appointment two days ago, and suddenly i got a reminder to leave my house at 12:17 so i will get there by 12:30.
in addition there was a google maps link

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
i dont know if its in the new update, or it was before, but i had an appointment two days ago, and suddenly i got a reminder to leave my house at 12:17 so i will get there by 12:30.
in addition there was a google maps link

That's how its supposed to work. In practice, it's still hit or miss .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I had a few trigger today while I was out. Before I left I set one up with "remind me to get paper at OfficeMax". But I was in and out of OfficeMax and got nothing!
While I was leaving I set up "remind me to call Sara upon leaving Placerville" and "remind me to take trash out upon arriving home". While leaving Placerville I heard the notification tone, but had nothing in the notification panel. While stopping to get gas as Crystal View I received both tone and notification for one I set up Wednesday to get propane at Crystal view (although I had been in that vicinity several times prior). And when I arrived home I received the one to take out the trash.

At this point I can not explain why I am seeing what I am seeing. It certainly seems less than reliable. Cell signal is great in P'ville, yet one was missed entirely. Signal is quite spotty up here, yet I received the one for Crystal View(albeit a day or too after I should have) and the one for Home exactly as expected. I'm not sure how much of this part of Now goes thru G's servers, but Wednesday and yesterday I got nada, and today got 2 and 1/2 out of 4. Possibly G's servers need to ramp up on this in time, but am surprised the servers need to be involved at all for reminders.

I'll continue to monitor this and share any additional discovery here, and look forward to reading any other experiences folks here may have. Hopefully it gets more reliable as time goes on.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine haven't been as useful or accurate yet either, similar experience to everyone else. I think this one needs a little time to iron out the bugs and perfect it. Great idea tho and I hope they get it working properly soon.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Cecere

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I've been messing with it a little and I have a question. I add a reminder for "Dinner at Sara's house at 6pm" and I go in manually and add the address. when 5:50ish comes, it will show up as a card in google now, and at 6pm I'll get a notification.

I was hoping that it would look at traffic and estimate a time, then maybe give me a reminder when it is time to leave. Or even 5 mins before. Any ideas if this is possible or how to do this? I can't get any time location features to show up for google now.

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I've been messing with it a little and I have a question. I add a reminder for "Dinner at Sara's house at 6pm" and I go in manually and add the address. when 5:50ish comes, it will show up as a card in google now, and at 6pm I'll get a notification.

I was hoping that it would look at traffic and estimate a time, then maybe give me a reminder when it is time to leave. Or even 5 mins before. Any ideas if this is possible or how to do this? I can't get any time location features to show up for google now.

I'm just guessing here, but that might work better if you have Sara as a contact (with her address) and then make an appointment in your calendar for "Dinner with..." using her full name.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody got these to work with a location? I have set up a couple of these with both an address and even a town, and even when passing completely through the set town I get no notification nor does the reminder appear in Google Now.

The time based ones do however put up a notification and card in Now. :what:

I just finished watching a 20 minute video on the AC home page (Google expanding mark up tools to select partners to influence Google Now cards | Android Central) of a discussion with the lead developer of Google Now. It's worth watching. In the end, I think Now is going to be awesome (unless you're paranoid about Big Brother watching or you're a battery whiner). The location based reminders seem very important to the devs, so I'm guessing we'll see more consistency in it working very soon. They talk about that feature a good bit in the video.

jreacher

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Kind of an obvious question but do you have both GPS AND data location services on? Google Now has told me in the past that I need both enabled to get all its functions

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
One of the things Now is supposed to do is provide travel time for appointments (from the calendar). I haven't paid any attention to whether or not it works.

It does, if you have those cards turned on. But the topic of this discussion is the new "reminder" capability just recently added.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It does, if you have those cards turned on. But the topic of this discussion is the new "reminder" capability just recently added.

I realize it's about using "reminders," but sometimes you have to find other ways to accomplish your goals, or spend your time being frustrated with something that doesn't work right. It's pretty clear that at this point in time, "reminders" aren't fully functional.

C0deM0nkey

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Reminders are fully functional.
I set one on Thursday for "Tomorrow" at Work (my stored work location) and it triggered on my arrival at work on Friday morning when I checked in in Latitude.

They are triggered by arrival at the specified location (when set) - I tested this by setting one for home on a day when I would be at home all day and it didn't trigger.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My Google now service works without location on but I have WiFi on even without using it.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I realize it's about using "reminders," but sometimes you have to find other ways to accomplish your goals, or spend your time being frustrated with something that doesn't work right. It's pretty clear that at this point in time, "reminders" aren't fully functional.
I have been using Tasker for geofenced notifications for some time and it has worked well, with the exception being it is much more time consuming to set up new locations. So rather thananother workaround, I am looking to share experiences with folks based on the topic at hand.

I set up 2 location based reminders today before going out. This time they were 2 for 2, with me getting the notifications within a couple of minutes of arriving at the set locations. I noticed that the corresponding cards were not displayed at the time of the notifications however, with them showing up a little bit later (after having dismissed the notifications). Decidedly different behavior than time based reminders whose cards are available in Now for a period (within the hour I think) prior to the notifications.

While I was out I also noticed a reminder on my Nexus 4 that I had set on my Nexus 7. This "reminded" me that if you have multiple devices using the same account there might be some interference. Not sure just what Google's algorithms look like for determining which device is the trigger for geofenced events (just the one in motion, in order via syncing, etc.), and whether or not there's any usage history that is kept and learned from. I only know that within the course of 3 days, I have gone from 0% reliability to 100%, albeit with very limited trials.

Like so much of Android, it would be nice if Google would explain how some of this stuff works rather than us having to discover it via the Braille method. In any event, the more I use it, the better it seems to work. But I can't say at this point whether it is the actual usage that's helping, or just Google ramping up on it over time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88