Nexus 4 supports LTE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I just got a Nexus 4 and was looking for some clarification on this.

The T-Mobile sales reps were very enthusiastic and seemed convinced that the Nexus 4 will natively support their LTE network being launched now. Google searches seem to disagree. Is LTE going to be a reality on the nexus 4 on T-Mobile?

I am pretty happy with the 3.5g speeds I am already getting. but would be a very nice surprise if it turns out I will get LTE as well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There's a rumor, but so far Google has not outright said they'll be updating it to work. The hardware is there.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There will be no LTE on any Nexus 4 currently in the market today. If you own one, that device will not get a magic software update to enable LTE. Will Google release a version of th eNexus 4 with LTE support? Maybe, maybe not no one really knows.

the Nexus 4 has the correct radio to do Tmobile LTE, but it does not have an antenna or amplifier for it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
What market are you in? 3.5 is 3G speeds. You should be able to get HSPA+ speeds.
Joking. I am coming from Verizon...while HSPA is plenty fast for me, it is not the same as real 4G IMO. So I call it 3.5G.

I have read that LTE will work on the Nexus 4, but not reliably because of the lack of an antennae...so you have to be right next to a tower. But some people in Canada claim they got it to work.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have read that LTE will work on the Nexus 4, but not reliably because of the lack of an antennae...so you have to be right next to a tower. But some people in Canada claim they got it to work.

Correct.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Joking. I am coming from Verizon...while HSPA is plenty fast for me, it is not the same as real 4G IMO. So I call it 3.5G.

It works perfectly, all the hardware is there. It was disabled via firmware update.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 4 uses an Avago ACPM-7251 PA, which supports LTE bands 1 and 5. Its transceiver is Qualcomm's WTR1605L, which -- as far as I know -- supports all LTE bands currently in use in North America. I don't know the antenna vendor and model, though.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Not actually true. Significant pieces of the hardware are missing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Not true either. The hardware that is needed is there. The only problem is the included LTE hardware only supports band 4 which at the moment is only used in limited ATT markets.

Posted via Android Central App

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Not true either. The hardware that is needed is there. The only problem is the included LTE hardware only supports band 4 which at the moment is only used in limited ATT markets.

Posted via Android Central App

Critical elements of the hardware are not there. That has been covered ad nauseum here. For the Nexus 4 to have reliable Lte, it would need a hardware upgrade.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Critical elements of the hardware are not there.

We know that the transceiver can do about seven LTE bands and that the PA can do at least two: 1 (1.9/2.1) and 5 (big chunks of 800).

We also know that its antenna system will cover at least 850, 900, 1700, 1900 and 2100, but we don't know which of those bands have the diversity antennas that LTE requires. The antenna system's model number would tell us that, but so far, I haven't been able to ID even the vendor.

Although there's only one N4 SKU, it's possible that LG uses multiple antenna vendors. It's not uncommon for handset vendors to give the contract to two antenna vendors simply because one vendor alone can't manufacture enough to meet projected sales volumes.

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
On the T-Mobile help boards the techs deny the N4 has LTE capability very strongly. I will believe a official N4 LTE update when I see it. People in new LTE T-Mobile areas (eg.= Las Vegas, Washington, etc.) are getting 20-30 megs. down with rooted N4s with the .33 radio. T-Mobile is the only carrier that uses the LTE 4 band in the USA so if you don't have T-Mobile you should forget LTE. ( AT&T does have a LITTLE band4).

LeDroitGTIGuy

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
y9e8erer.jpg
I'm on T-Mobile's LTE right now and have been for the past three weeks are so. 20+ miles west of D.C. In the weaker network areas, I get 3-7 mbps down (HSPA is terrible in same areas at maybe 250 kbps down), but as you can see in the attached image, the good areas are really, really good. You need to be on the .33 radio, so you'll have to downgrade that if you upgraded to 4.2.2.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
We know that the transceiver can do about seven LTE bands and that the PA can do at least two: 1 (1.9/2.1) and 5 (big chunks of 800).

We also know that its antenna system will cover at least 850, 900, 1700, 1900 and 2100, but we don't know which of those bands have the diversity antennas that LTE requires. The antenna system's model number would tell us that, but so far, I haven't been able to ID even the vendor.

Although there's only one N4 SKU, it's possible that LG uses multiple antenna vendors. It's not uncommon for handset vendors to give the contract to two antenna vendors simply because one vendor alone can't manufacture enough to meet projected sales volumes.

LG has told us point blank it does not have a signal amplifier or filter, and would be unable to receive a signal of the quality that carriers require.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21