Yahoo email not working with Email app

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Which is exactly what I did this week. Just switched everything to gmail and will use yahoo for a throw away account if I need it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Android seems to suck when it comes to Yahoo email. I think Google does it on purpose. They want us all to go gmail.

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

keithwinnyc

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Yup, mine (Nexus 4) also stopped right after the Yahoo app was released (and I do not have the Yahoo premium service...big surprise there, right?). Anyway, same error messages as other folks noted, saying "logon and id incorrect" or "connection to server failed" (it still works on my Nexus 7 over wi-fi though.....). Anyway, I tried manually changing the port numbers to settings I found online (also as noted above) and moving between SMTP and IMAP. I got it working, but a few days later it stopped again. Now some days it works and some days it doesn't. I downloaded the Yahoo app (which always works), but I do have diminished battery life and I get duped messages when the yahoo email through the Nexus 4 begins working again.

Here are the settings on my Nexus 4 manual mail setup for Yahoo that work as of today :':)

incoming:
imap.mail.yahoo.com
port: 993
security: SSL/TLS (accept all certifications)

outgoing:
smtp.mail.yahoo.com
port: 465
security: SSL/TLS

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

rupam95

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OK, I just found the answer to this problem.

All you have to do is remove the "android." from the IMAP server in incoming settings and also from SMTP server in outgoing settings. Make sure you do it one by one and make sure it is saved.

Good luck.

Posted via Android Central App

smir_ch

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I am soo done with Yahoo. I've put this off for far too long, but today I'm switching everything over to gmail. It's gonna take a while, but Yahoo just can't make a product that will work consistently over time. I've had the Yahoo Mail App. It conks out eventually, too. That's what led me back to the native android app. Same for Yahoo Pingbox, Pipes and just about every other other Yahoo software. The bottom line is: Yahoo sucks. Why do you think they've gone through so many CEOs in the last 5 years. They suck. Period. I'm done with them. I've used Yahoo mail as my default since high school. And I'm just done with them. If they can't make a decent mail app by now, then forget it. Plus, I'm tired of seeing all those asinine ads. Why should I have to pay to not see dumb ads?!? Gmail has ads, too, but at least they're not so intrusive, and they don't make the actual mail functions stop working, like Yahoo does. Over the yrs, Yahoo mail has gotten worse and worse. It used to be far better than gmail. Remember the old days when gmail sucked? And we all wondered, "When is gmail gonna get better? Why can't Google make a decent mail app?" Well, Google has steadily improved its mail app while Yahoo's has steadily gone into the dumper. I'm just so tired of Yahoo now that I'm going to overcome my inertia and disentangle from it once for all.

smir_ch

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
And to make matters worse, Yahoo won't even allow you to forward your yahoo emails to another email provider, unless you purchase an upgrade!?!?! I've spent the last hour disentangling, only to find this out. So I have to set up a vacation reply to let people know I won't be using or checking my Yahoo email account regular.

Yahoo, you're a waste

mwpflug

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I also ran into the problem of the stock email app not working with Yahoo Mail unless over wi-fi on my Nexus 4. Tried everything listed above to no avail until I stumbled on this site: https://sites.google.com/site/tmoipv6/lg-mytouch

Once I changed my T-Mobile APN over to the IPv6 version everything worked fine. Now I'm just waiting to see what apps don't play nice with the newer network.

hildyblog

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine died today. I tried reestablishing the account and that did nothing - I still got the same invalid message. So I waited and banged against their server every half hour or so. Without changing anything, it suddenly, after a couple of hours of frustration, worked. I suspect it would have worked without deleting and reestablishing the account as well. It seems to just be an intermittent problem that Yahoo isn't that concerned about because they would like you to use their app (the better to monetize you with).

Louise c34

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I also have this problem, updated the software on my Galaxy S4 and now I cannot use the email app, to access my Yahoo account. Have deleted the account, cleared the cache etc but it will not set up manually or automatically!!!

Help please users!!!

I am on 02 network:(

kmallin

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I have tried all of the suggestions above and nothing works. My email just stopped working (incorrect user name and password message). I deleted the account, started over and nothing works. I have had this email account for many years and need to keep using it. Other than using the Yahoo battery draining app any other suggestions?

tglatin

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem what I found was the problem was that yahoo has changed
the password security so if you have a older account with a password that doesn't meet
the new security yahoo will automatically reject the password even if it is correct .

Just click forgot password and make a new password and the yahoo account will
start working again on your mobile.

exploding_monkeys

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I HAVE THE SOLUTION!
Sorry for screaming, but I'm just so excited to finally have figured this out. :D
Ok, here is what you do:

1. Log into your yahoo mail via your desktop / laptop.
2. Click settings in the top right hand corner of your screen while logged into your yahoo email.
3. Click "Change Password" then choose a password that is exactly 12 characters that has lower case and upper case letters and numbers with no symbols of any kind. If you need help creating a secure password then let a robot do it for you here:
strongpasswordgenerator (.com) - not trying to spam by placing that url or anything, but that site helped me fix this issue with a good password.

I believe that the reason why this works, is because when yahoo updated their yahoo android app, they didn't update the code to comply with the new password rules associated with the desktop/laptop based code via yahoo email update that allows for more extensive passwords including more characters and the use of symbols. I could be wrong but to me, that makes the most sense. Hope that helps. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to dance happily down the street as I haven't checked my yahoo email in 2 weeks *starts dancing* :p

dream5695

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Here's the real answer
goto Yahoo/settings/accounts/edit your account info
Sign in again
Goto Sign-in and security/manage your apps passwords/Generate apps password
Name your android tablet or phone in the box and Generate password
This will give you a password to enter in the password window when you add an account in your android. Create an account with the yahoo address and enter the password...just click next, don?t worry about manual settings. You will have access to the yahoo account and all emails will be downloaded to the email app in the android.
Believe me, this will work because I too have tried everything else, until I found this.......Mike

rupam95

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had problems with yahoo and stock email. Then I decided to download the official yahoo mail app from Google play store and it has been working great!

Posted via Android Central App

sibeans

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I've encountered sign in problems that happens when I transition off of Wi-Fi to the network...I hope the new email client in 4.4 fixes this

Posted from my "CrackDroid" Nexus 4 via the Android Central App

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Very odd because my Yahoo mail was working all day long, until I read this thread! About an hour after reading the thread I started getting the wrong username/password warning. I let it sit for a few hours and now it's working again!?! I didn't change a thing or login to my yahoo account from anywhere else. My password is less than 12 characters and does not have any special characters but does have upper and lower case letters and numbers. I'm not sure what caused or resolved the problem on my phone, but my guess is it's something on yahoo's end.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante