Yahoo email not working with Email app

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This past week, I went from my Yahoo email syncing with my Email app, to not being able to connect at all. I keep getting notifications stating it can't log in. It would work sporadically but I would usually get an error. When I checked the settings, I kept getting a "username and/or password incorrect". However they are NOT incorrect. I can log in via Chrome, or from my computer at home. Power cycling the phone doesn't help. I tried deleting the account and re-adding it, but I get the same username/password error.

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem too!! It kept asking me for my password and I kept typing it correctly. I finally gave up and deleted the accts and redownloaded the Yahoo mail app...problem solved.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Ricanxd

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I think this has to do with that recent update. My email app has become useless too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
By chance, did you have it setup as a smpt account? Yahoo only gives smpt accounts to it's premium users. You have to set it up as a pop3 account. My wife uses Yahoo email and I had it setup as smpt. Despite not having a premium account, Yahoo let it slide for the longest before not too long ago blocking it out. I set it up as a pop3 account but it didn't seem to function as well, so I downloaded the app for her and that has worked out better.

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I wanted to use the native email app is because Im able to assign the notification sound using something from zedge. With the Yahoo app Im limited to what they offer amd its not much.

Sent from my Nexus 4

rupam95

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me when connected to my T-Mo network. When i got home though, everything worked fine with my home wifi. I just had to delete and put it again.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
By chance, did you have it setup as a smpt account? Yahoo only gives smpt accounts to it's premium users. You have to set it up as a pop3 account. My wife uses Yahoo email and I had it setup as smpt. Despite not having a premium account, Yahoo let it slide for the longest before not too long ago blocking it out. I set it up as a pop3 account but it didn't seem to function as well, so I downloaded the app for her and that has worked out better.

Judging from the outgoing settings, it shows an address with "SMTP" in it so I am assuming its set up as such. Is there a way to set it up as a pop3 account?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Just tried setting up with those settings and its stays thinking on verifying incoming server settings. I think the email app is doneso.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My phone doesn't like those settings. No luck :( Maybe I should just switch everything to gmail. I'm getting pretty fed up with yahoo anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Like I said, I was able to get it working again, but it was hit and miss. I ended up downloading the Yahoo app and no problems since. Apparently Yahoo wants you to use the app. When I get a chance I may dig around and see if I can find what settings the app uses because that info is not available with in the settings menu of the app.

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I believe this is a recent Yahoo issue as the same thing starting happening to me the last few days trying to access my Yahoo account using my desktop Thunderbird email program. Deleting and resetting my Yahoo passwords fixed the problem, so try a similar thing or reinstall the app on your phone.

Mike Mikowski

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Yahoo email not working with Email app: FIXED

Ok, so this was seriously pissing me off. After the release of the Yahoo android email app, the standard email went tits-up and refused to work with Yahoo mail. And I pay Ms. Meyers and crew $20 per year for "premium" service.

The reality is that Yahoo apparently futzed with the settings just enough to make everyones android-native-yahoo-imap-mail break just as they released their new app. I noticed a steady increase of failed login attempts as the release date of the Yahoo native mail app approached. When it finally was released, their mail on Android stock client just completely stopped working. My guess is they migrated the actual DNS from imap.yahoo.com -> imap.mail.yahoo.com (or similar), and completed the change "coincidently" when the new app was released. This is a really dirty trick on the part of Yahoo, and I am seriously pissed about the service and how they have treated me. They are going to have to work hard to gain my confidence and good will again.

I did download the Yahoo app and I like it, but it apparently sucks my battery like a wino sucks night train - that's my theory anyway, and I would like to test it out! Also, I really like to use the Email widget on a home screen to quickly glance at my email. Yahoo does not provide such a widget to my knowledge. So here is the answer for all Premium users who want IMAP without the overhead of the Yahoo dedicated app:

1. Delete your account from the Android email app
2. Add the account again, but this time, click on "Manual Installation"
3. Use these settings:

What Are the Yahoo! Mail SMTP Settings? - About Email
What Are the Yahoo! Mail IMAP Settings? - About Email

4. Delete the Yahoo dedicated app if you would like to see how it affects your battery life.

Peace out (drops the mic) - Mike

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie