T-Mobile HSPA+ getting slower and slower for anyone else?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
T-Mobile's HSPA+ used to consistently give me 12mbps in most cities but had been getting slower by the month. Now in NYC I'm getting 250kbps! I used to get 15mbps here before. is anyone else seeing this?

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile's HSPA+ used to consistently give me 12mbps in most cities but had been getting slower by the month. Now in NYC I'm getting 250kbps! I used to get 15mbps here before. is anyone else seeing this?

They might be using more cell towers for their newly created LTE network and testing them, so that might explain the sluggish performance.

In contrast, speeds of up to 12mbps are consistently being offered by big magenta's HSPA+ "4G" network in my area, as well as increased reception.

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have also noticed that HSPA+ converge has gotten worse in my area. My HSPA+ signal is weaker at my house than it was and speeds are slower. I now switch to edge where I previously had HSPA+. I dont really care because I have wifi but still... I think they are moving some spectrum over to LTE.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes. About 2 months ago speeds suddenly dropped from 15-20Mbps to 0.1-0.3Mbps. I'm in Michigan, close to Ann Arbor. What's really weird is that up until 2 weeks ago the coverage map showed my home area to be in a dark green, "excellent" area. Then a week ago the map was updated to show that I now live in an edge only area. They took away the HSPA coverage! Of course T-Mobile refuses to answer my inquiries; each time I ask they tell me nothing is wrong on their end. Also, even though the map shows no more 3G here, my phone still shows full bars of 3G/H. And the speed is still very slow.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Corey Sheldon

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Here in the DC Metro area with the S4 (Has built in LTE chip), I boince all over the place 30MBps here 5-6MBps 2 miles down the road....I've decided to use a 3rd party provider which isnt always blazing faat but its much more stable...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Yes. About 2 months ago speeds suddenly dropped from 15-20Mbps to 0.1-0.3Mbps. I'm in Michigan, close to Ann Arbor. What's really weird is that up until 2 weeks ago the coverage map showed my home area to be in a dark green, "excellent" area. Then a week ago the map was updated to show that I now live in an edge only area. They took away the HSPA coverage! Of course T-Mobile refuses to answer my inquiries; each time I ask they tell me nothing is wrong on their end. Also, even though the map shows no more 3G here, my phone still shows full bars of 3G/H. And the speed is still very slow.

WTF? That stinks! I know they are transitioning their towers to deliver on different bands for the iPhone but they claimed they would do hspa+ everywhere and no 2g. I guess what they meant was you'd see an "H" for 2g speeds now

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
WTF? That stinks! I know they are transitioning their towers to deliver on different bands for the iPhone but they claimed they would do hspa+ everywhere and no 2g. I guess what they meant was you'd see an "H" for 2g speeds now

They will not answer me when I ask if it is due to refarming or possible upgrades. The most I could get out of them was that there is nothing scheduled for this area. And as for the indicator showing 3G but the map showing 2G, they said I dont have my phone configured properly!

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
You know, I've been with T-Mobile for a lot, and I mean ALOT of years. And I have never been treated so poorly as I have for the last year or so. I believe its the switch to their no-contracts thing. It sounds nice -no contracts. But in reality, we pay now, even more. With their mark ups on phone prices. Take the N4, through Google :$300 plus taxes, through T-Mobile: like $550 or so. I stopped liking tmoble due to their i-dont-give-a-crap-about-you attitude. But back to topic, yes, I have too noticed a slight slow down with their data connection. I live in phx.

LeDroitGTIGuy

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You know what's consistently fast? T-Mobile LTE on my Nexus 4. I was ready to chuck T-Mobile altogether, but they turned it on in my area just in time. LTE, CM 10.1, and Franco's kernel is how this phone was meant to run.

LeDroitGTIGuy

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
zu8aneby.jpg

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
That's great about your LTE and all, but the discussion at hand is in reference to T-Mobile's HSPA+ service. Can we leave the LTE discussion for threads specific to LTE? Some of us are trying to gather information about our degraded service.
Thanks

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Im in Dallas and have noticed no slowness in my service at all.
I also switch devices and am back on my Nexus 4 after using the Note 2 for a month. Both devices are getting about the same speeds in and around the areas i work and live.
have you been able to find another TMO user in your area with a different device?
ive always wondered if the Nexus 4 sometimes parks its self on 1900 spectrum and not the good 1700 stuff where the majority of the bandwidth and speeds are.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Mines fine too. It does get a lot slower than this when the network is loaded though. (Not surprising. Usually in the middle of the day and around rush hour)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368923264921.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368923264921.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 86

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1