Experts review LG Nexus 4. See what they have to say

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
and work on all carriers.

What device works on all carriers? Does Walt mean make a Sprint CDMA, a Verizon CDMA, a US GSM and an international version?

I agree 100% that having LTE would have been awesome as would having more network choices, but if they mean having one device that works on everything, we're not there yet. The chip exists, the carrier support of it does not and it sounds like it won't until we're all on VoLTE.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I believe the Rezound does. Though it probably requires rooting or hacks.

That's a good point, it has an international capability which would imply that it'd work on GSM and many Verizon phones have been hacked to work on Sprint. I guess I was thinking of something you'd buy in the Play Store, but if you get it specifically from Verizon and it's built to work on other networks, then that'd accomplish the same goal in a way.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
What device works on all carriers? Does Walt mean make a Sprint CDMA, a Verizon CDMA, a US GSM and an international version?

This is an example of Walt not understanding what he writes about. LTE is still so new that there is no core set of bands that a vendor can build into its device to enable global roaming on par with GSM or UMTS. A GSM world phone supports four bands. With UMTS, it's five. With LTE, it could be up to 19, which is the number of bands currently used for LTE out of the 41 potential.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I high percentage of users that insist on having a sd slot just pop in a sd card and never remove it for the year or two that they use the the phone, never even considering that it doesn't matter if it is internal storage or external storage. Too many times people can't let go and only want something because that is what they are used to having.

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
You have to realize that only a small percentage of people really care about expandable storage. The general public could care less about it. Most people will never even put an SD card into their S3 or S4 or whatever phone they have. You have to realize that the majority of smartphone users out there will never even use this feature, so saying that it should come standard on all smartphones is close minded and blind.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You have to realize that only a small percentage of people really care about expandable storage. The general public could care less about it. Most people will never even put an SD card into their S3 or S4 or whatever phone they have. You have to realize that the majority of smartphone users out there will never even use this feature, so saying that it should come standard on all smartphones is close minded and blind.

Furthermore, must of the general public will not know what an SD card is... Let alone what it has to do with their phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit for almost 2 years and bought a 16GB SD card when I first got it. I have lots of music on my phone, about 70 apps, and I have only used 5 GB of the 16GB. Don't think I will have a problem with the 16GB Nexus.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I have had a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit for almost 2 years and bought a 16GB SD card when I first got it. I have lots of music on my phone, about 70 apps, and I have only used 5 GB of the 16GB. Don't think I will have a problem with the 16GB Nexus.

Most people won't. 16GB is enough for the highest percentage of users. It would be nice to see a 32GB for those that need more. Anything beyond that you are just carrying around way to much on your phone IMO.

strider2

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Walt Mossberg from the Wall St Journal: ?Overall, the Nexus 4 is a good phone, with especially good prices for unlocked versions. But I?d advise Android buyers to consider other models with LTE, better speakers, and the ability to add more memory and work on all carriers.?

LOL..Is there a Phone in USA where it will work on all carriers? (Even assuming GSM carriers?)
Other than Nexus branded phones, Can anyone tell me a phone which has LTE and will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Walt Mossberg from the Wall St Journal: ?Overall, the Nexus 4 is a good phone, with especially good prices for unlocked versions. But I?d advise Android buyers to consider other models with LTE, better speakers, and the ability to add more memory and work on all carriers.?

LOL..Is there a Phone in USA where it will work on all carriers? (Even assuming GSM carriers?)
Other than Nexus branded phones, Can anyone tell me a phone which has LTE and will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile?

I think media pundits mistake all the versions of a phone as being just one model. Particularly with the Galaxy series. Samsung is very good at pumping out different versions of a phone model to meet every carrier criteria. Unless you've tried to cross one of these over to another carrier you believe a Galaxy S III is the same no matter what carrier you buy it from and the actual truth could not be more different.

strider2

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

Will the Rezound works out of the Box without hacking it?
Does it have the latest hardware?
I ask this because the reviewer was arguing it against the Nexus 4.

- - - Updated - - -

I think media pundits mistake all the versions of a phone as being just one model. Particularly with the Galaxy series. Samsung is very good at pumping out different versions of a phone model to meet every carrier criteria. Unless you've tried to cross one of these over to another carrier you believe a Galaxy S III is the same no matter what carrier you buy it from and the actual truth could not be more different.

I can understand if an average Joe mistakes the Samsung branding..but a Technology reviewer? He has no right to review a phone then.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This was in Wired's review:

TIRED No LTE connectivity means the Nexus 4 is confined to slower, older mobile networks. No micro SD card slot or expandable storage of any sort. The rear speaker isn?t very loud and doesn?t sound very good.

Wired apparently agrees that the lack of SD is not an asset.

And yet they still gave it a 9/10, the same score as the iPhone 5 (which also lacks removable storage and has LTE), and higher than either the iPhone 4 or 4s (at 8 each) OR the Samsung Galaxy 3 or 4 (at 7 each, and which, by the way, both include the vaunted SD card). Its impact on reviews thus seems negligible, but Wired mentions it because they know there is a rabid section of the Android base that seems to make their buying decisions based on its inclusion.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
And yet they still gave it a 9/10
The SD was part of the reason it was not a 10/10.

I agree with Wired btw. The Nexus 4's assets far outweigh it's liabilities. But lack of SD is definitely a liability. It is no accident that the best selling Android phones all have SD. Or that the next Vanilla Android device will once again have SD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674