Problem with display and rebooting

reneeh63

May 26, 2010
Visit site
After charging overnight, my Nexus 4's display won't display properly - when I single press to turn on it shows up as a very dark shade of gray, barely detectable that it is even on. If I long press to reboot, I can see the "X" come up but very dimly...it then goes to my lockscreen and then my homescreen but everthing is extremely dim. I can barely see, but when I try to manually set the brightness, it has no effect. Then it goes into sleep mode and I have to reboot again to get anything to show up. I've never had this issue before in the 5 months since purchase.

I've been messing with it all morning and a couple times when I rebooted the screen displayed in proper brightness but as soon I stop using it goes back to sleep and I have to reboot. I tried changing the daydream to off and to change the sleep time but no real change.

Any ideas? - I'm not rooted.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
After charging overnight, my Nexus 4's display won't display properly - when I single press to turn on it shows up as a very dark shade of gray, barely detectable that it is even on. If I long press to reboot, I can see the "X" come up but very dimly...it then goes to my lockscreen and then my homescreen but everthing is extremely dim. I can barely see, but when I try to manually set the brightness, it has no effect. Then it goes into sleep mode and I have to reboot again to get anything to show up. I've never had this issue before in the 5 months since purchase.

I've been messing with it all morning and a couple times when I rebooted the screen displayed in proper brightness but as soon I stop using it goes back to sleep and I have to reboot. I tried changing the daydream to off and to change the sleep time but no real change.

Any ideas? - I'm not rooted.

Not sure how on a Nexus 4, but if you tried clearing the cache in recovery. That might help.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Golfdriver - don't I have to be rooted to do that?

Shouldn't need to be. Try powering off, the to reboot into recovery try power and volume up till you see the opening logo. Should come to a menu..use vokume to navigate highlighted bar and select wipe cache partition.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

reneeh63

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, I tried clearing the cache and then finally convinced myself to do a factory reset...and it didn't change a thing - including rebooting to a grayed out screen and everything else. Is there any option other than returning it? It's not like I just got it, it's been three months so I'm kinda attached...!

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I tried clearing the cache and then finally convinced myself to do a factory reset...and it didn't change a thing - including rebooting to a grayed out screen and everything else. Is there any option other than returning it? It's not like I just got it, it's been three months so I'm kinda attached...!

Sorry about delayed response. Try contacting Google. This sounds like a software/ROM issue.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums