Battery Calibration

puffkind

May 24, 2013
Visit site
So, I just got my Nexus 4 a few days ago, and am wondering if I should let my battery run all the way down at some point. I read an article about "calibrating" a battery by running it down and then fully charging it. It feels like a little bit of BS to me, but any opinions are welcome.

Cheers

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Do not drain it down. It does not need to be cycled or calibrated. Charge it when it is low or when you have time, use it as you wish. These batteries do not like to be drained to nothing, try and avoid it. Enjoy your phone, don't worry so much about the battery's long term lifespan.

Emma Challis

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

Emma Challis

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Might I suggest that if you choose not to deplete the battery, to at least switch your phone off and on at least once a week to clear any apps/processes that may be stuck in RAM.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Might I suggest that if you choose not to deplete the battery, to at least switch your phone off and on at least once a week to clear any apps/processes that may be stuck in RAM.

Posted via Android Central App

Welcome to the forums!
The thin that is strange is I have read that once a month it is suggested to drain the battery to about 5% then fully charge.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Emma Challis

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
The thin that is strange is I have read that once a month it is suggested to drain the battery to about 5% then fully charge.

That 5% sounds like a number pulled from the air to be honest. I don't think it will damage the battery if you deplete it fully. I have done it once since I've had it (five days) because the battery on mine seems to last so long (not complaining! Old iPhone wanted charging three times a day) I struggle to fully deplete it before a reasonable hour. Had 12% at 11pm last night, the other half had to be up for work at 4am so I thought I won't put it on charge until then as hopefully it will be flat. Wrong. 8% so stuck it on charge.|

What I do suggest is that you turn the phone off whilst it's charging as it not only results in a quicker charge but the phone can tell when it's fully charged better,

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

That advice doesn't apply to modern batteries.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Emma Challis

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
As a side note, I've just switched my Google Nexus 4 off and back on again and it started installing app updates so make sure that you do switch it off and back on again.

Well, that's assuming the updates are linked to the phone being rebooted.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That 5% sounds like a number pulled from the air to be honest. I don't think it will damage the battery if you deplete it fully. I have done it once since I've had it (five days) because the battery on mine seems to last so long (not complaining! Old iPhone wanted charging three times a day) I struggle to fully deplete it before a reasonable hour. Had 12% at 11pm last night, the other half had to be up for work at 4am so I thought I won't put it on charge until then as hopefully it will be flat. Wrong. 8% so stuck it on charge.|

What I do suggest is that you turn the phone off whilst it's charging as it not only results in a quicker charge but the phone can tell when it's fully charged better,

My source:
BatteryCare - Proper laptop battery usage guide

Fully discharging a Li-ion is not good.

Emma Challis

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
My source:
BatteryCare - Proper laptop battery usage guide

Fully discharging a Li-ion is not good.

I sit corrected.

"Full battery discharges (until laptop power shutdown, 0%) should be avoided, because this stresses the battery a lot and can even damage it. It's recommended to perform partial discharges to capacity levels of 20~30% and frequent charges, instead of performing a full discharging followed by a full charging."

Still I suggest you reboot your phone every once in a while as an app can be stuck in RAM.

I think it's going to be something that you will find conflicting everyday, for example:

"Allow partial discharges and avoid full ones (usually)

Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it?s better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles.

There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device?s power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated."

Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life | TechRepublic

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta