Thinking about picking up Nexus 4.

The Gambles

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking about ordering a nexus 4 from google play, I have read a lot of really good things about it.

However I have heard there are some issues with heat. I like to play games a lot and I'm wondering if this issue has been fixed in later Nexus 4 models? I believe I read somewhere that it was but couldn't find it again.

Thanks!

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking about ordering a nexus 4 from google play, I have read a lot of really good things about it.

However I have heard there are some issues with heat. I like to play games a lot and I'm wondering if this issue has been fixed in later Nexus 4 models? I believe I read somewhere that it was but couldn't find it again.

Thanks!
No heat issues.
Don't think just buy;)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!

There is another post here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...hone-supposed-get-really-hot.html#post2796471

This talked about this issue to some extent. I have not heard of this as being widespread, to where the person is actually feeling discomfort or concerned about injury, but glass is going to feel more sensitive to hot/cold than plastic, etc.

I strongly recommend trying to find someone that has one or a store that does to try it out. Put it through it's paces and see how it feels.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have found than a lot of new phones do heat up a bit more when you play Games on them or use them for long periods of time. I also don't think this is a fault in the device. We are squeezing a lot of stuff into a small space and when we ask it to do a lot it gets hot. I find my Nexus gets pretty warm when I am gaming on it, but nothing that is uncomfortable. My ols Samsung GS2 did the same and my wife has an HTC One and it gets pretty warm at times too. Nothing to worry about unless it's hot all the time.

You'll love your Nexus 4!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

It does heat up, but your real worry should not be heat. It should be battery life. This phone is not going to hold up well against game powered battery drain. This is a big deal because you can't upgrade the battery.

It heats up, but not really any worse than other phones I have owned. But I would not recommend it for gaming because of the battery life issue.

mcshaggin

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I watch Netflix or Hulu on my lunch break for about an hour. Mine gets a little warm but I also attribute it to my case. Having a case on a phone is probably terrible as far a heat dissipation goes but it beats having a non-functioning phone if you drop it. You won't regret your purchase though.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It does heat up, but your real worry should not be heat. It should be battery life. This phone is not going to hold up well against game powered battery drain. This is a big deal because you can't upgrade the battery.

It heats up, but not really any worse than other phones I have owned. But I would not recommend it for gaming because of the battery life issue.
Battery life is average on any phone other than the Maxx or Note 2. I just carry a portable charger if I need to charge while gaming etc. It's a simple solution. The phone for the price is at the top of the heap even with its minor set backs.

Sent from my Nexus 4

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is average on any phone other than the Maxx or Note 2.
Not in my experience. The battery life is only good if you use it lightly or moderately (turning down brightness, ect...). For games you will not be running light. This phone will not last long running CPU-intensive games with the display on full.

My battery life has been pretty awful compared to the Rezound-with-extended-battery I was using before. It does hold a charge well (If I have 60% battery when I go to sleep, I will have 60% when I wake up if it is not plugged in). And it does charge faster than other phones I have had (fully charge in less than an hour). But on CPU intensive stuff, the battery drains quick. Taking photospheres seems to drain it a lot.

I just carry a portable charger if I need to charge while gaming etc. It's a simple solution.
An extended battery would be a simpler solution. But yes, it is better than nothing. And I am buying one as well for that reason.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Not in my experience. The battery life is only good if you use it lightly or moderately (turning down brightness, ect...). For games you will not be running light. This phone will not last long running CPU-intensive games with the display on full.

My battery life has been pretty awful compared to the Rezound-with-extended-battery I was using before. It does hold a charge well (If I have 60% battery when I go to sleep, I will have 60% when I wake up if it is not plugged in). And it does charge faster than other phones I have had (fully charge in less than an hour). But on CPU intensive stuff, the battery drains quick. Taking photospheres seems to drain it a lot.

An extended battery would be a simpler solution. But yes, it is better than nothing. And I am buying one as well for that reason.
It certainly does drain, but my Samsung Galaxy S2 was worse. My wife's HTC ONe is pretty good, but still drains and my daughters iPhone 5 drains too. These are all pretty comperable in my experience. Each phone can have good and bad days depending on how it's used, but gaming drains any phone. And the extended battery in your Rezound shouldn't be compared to a regular battery to be fair. They call it extended for a reason ;-)

I agree 100% on the speed of charging. This phone is crazy fast with charging. Even on my wireless charger I can get 20% in 10 minutes.

I bought this Anker 5600MHa battery on amazon http://www.amazon.com/5600mAh-Exter...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2824821 It is really small and can recharge my phone 2 or 3 times on one charge. Great option for $30. I also bought the double 8400 options for my kids for only a little bit more. They are quite a bit bigger though. The 5600 is small enough to carry in your front pants pocket and it comes with a very short cable that doesn't add bulk.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

So, in summary, games drain the battery quickly... That would be valuable information if that wasn't the case for every other electronic device.

We all know you love your extended batteries; that's not a specification of this phone, it's time to let that one go. :banghead:

I'm also not sure how a battery draining from a device in use is an "issue." Should batteries not drain when they are in use?