LG Exec claims LG won't make the Nexus 5

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just saw that on AC's main page. What I do find curious is LG's message that they're not currently working on a Nexus 5. Given that phone production/design cycles are more than six months long, does this mean that "a Nexus 5" is a real product that's separate from the next Nexus phone, or is LG temporarily out of the Nexus game?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just saw that on AC's main page. What I do find curious is LG's message that they're not currently working on a Nexus 5. Given that phone production/design cycles are more than six months long, does this mean that "a Nexus 5" is a real product that's separate from the next Nexus phone, or is LG temporarily out of the Nexus game?

Nexus 5 is probably just the name that has stuck in the tech world to indicate the next Nexus phone. The only thing is Google nor anyone else has released any info on who is going to carry the torch for the Nexus line. It was even rumored that Moto was going to get the next Nexus, which I can see as appropriate, but I would like to see other devices continue to receive the Nexus brand.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, if history is any indication, it was more likely a different manufacturer would get a shot at the upcoming Nexus as opposed to the same manufacturer twice.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Whoever makes the next Nexus, I hope they go with a plastic back. I think anyone that intends on getting a Nexus 4 , reads all the horror stories of broken backs, and might decide not to purchase one, I know I almost did. This objection could so easily be done away with.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, if history is any indication, it was more likely a different manufacturer would get a shot at the upcoming Nexus as opposed to the same manufacturer twice.

Not sure why you say that. Isn't the history HTC > Samsung > Samsung > LG? I'd say there's not much history to base things on, could go either way...

Hbomber110

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Dream was the first Android phone, so if you wanted to develop for android, it was DA device. And they probably received a lot of input from google. We can almost call it a Nexus 0.5

HTC > HTC > Samsung > Samsung > LG > LG

Makes sense

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why you say that. Isn't the history HTC > Samsung > Samsung > LG? I'd say there's not much history to base things on, could go either way...

Ah you are correct, the Nexus S always slips my mind.

The HTC Dream was the first Android phone, so if you wanted to develop for android, it was DA device. And they probably received a lot of input from google. We can almost call it a Nexus 0.5

Makes sense

Just because the G1 was first doesn't at all make it a Nexus.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Makes sense

G1 is not a nexus device. Its just the first Android phone.

and the pattern here is purely random. Motorola/HTC could make next nexus

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 4 since launch. Not a single blemish on it. Not a scratch, crack, dent, scuff or otherwise and I almost always use it stark naked! Every day. All day.

The premium feel, design and build quality on top of the great specs for an amazing price, unlocked, has me wanting LG to keep their hat in the ring for a chance at doing the Nexus 5. And, NO! I don't want any cheap *** plastic on the next Nexus! If I wanted cheap *** plastic, I'd be rocking a Samsung. No thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Do you think Google might stop the Nexus line in favour of "Google Edition" phones from various OEMs? It is something that has been on my mind. I mean they don`t make a profit on the Nexus line per say, and from what I understand, the line was sort of a means of getting more exposure and at the same time, providing unlocked devices for devs. If OEMs are to provide Google Edition phones, maybe the Nexus line wouldn?t be as necessary as it was. What do you guys think?

shahid99

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
i will be disappointed if they dont make next nexus becouse i like their nexus 4 design but i wouldnt mind if motorola or sony makes it becouse they build with good quiality too maybe with motorola we can expect bigger battery

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you think Google might stop the Nexus line in favour of "Google Edition" phones from various OEMs? It is something that has been on my mind. I mean they don`t make a profit on the Nexus line per say, and from what I understand, the line was sort of a means of getting more exposure and at the same time, providing unlocked devices for devs. If OEMs are to provide Google Edition phones, maybe the Nexus line wouldn?t be as necessary as it was. What do you guys think?

No they wont stop making nexus devices. They dont make profit out of nexus devices but they make profit out of their services they offer from these phones. that's the whole point of Android in general.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Whoever makes the next Nexus, I hope they go with a plastic back. I think anyone that intends on getting a Nexus 4 , reads all the horror stories of broken backs, and might decide not to purchase one, I know I almost did. This objection could so easily be done away with.

I don't mind the glass back myself, but I would vote for aluminum like the HTC One over something plasticky like the Galaxy line. Both of Samsung's Nexus phones, while nice devices, did not feel premium in my opinion. The glass-backed LG Nexus does, and an aluminum unibody Nexus like the One certainly would, too.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind the glass back myself, but I would vote for aluminum like the HTC One over something plasticky like the Galaxy line. Both of Samsung's Nexus phones, while nice devices, did not feel premium in my opinion. The glass-backed LG Nexus does, and an aluminum unibody Nexus like the One certainly would, too.

By some accounts the HTC One is the phone of the moment... Might that not be the base for the next Nexus???

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

If you like aluminum, get use to liking scratches in your phone. I know two I Phone 5 owners and their phones are all scratched up in the back.

Apple Says Scratching on New Aluminum iPhone 5 is Normal

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nokia was successful for a loooong time with aluminum cased phones when they were doing the Symbian thing. Rightly or wrongly, it does feel premium in the hand and looks like ruggedness to the eye.

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
No they wont stop making nexus devices. They dont make profit out of nexus devices but they make profit out of their services they offer from these phones. that's the whole point of Android in general.

But even the profit made from the services provided on the Nexus are small compared to the profits generated from the countless other OEMs, the biggest of which is making the new Google Edition phone. If they can get OEMs to offer various stock Developer phones, the Nexus line might not be necessary. Anyhow, I am most likely assuming incorrectly..