Hello yesterday I dropped my N4 in wter, what I did inmediately was shut the phone and then I put it in rice, 5 minutes before I wrote this post I plugged my phone to the charger, but what it shows instead of the charging image is the black display and my LED is red. I need help, what I did was correct? HELP PLEASE
    05-28-2013 05:25 PM
    My understanding is you need to keep it in rice for longer than that, at least 24 hours. It's also a good idea to dry it as much as possible before you do this with soft cloths and a vacuum. Did you try just turning it on before plugging it in? If you did all that and you're not getting any response from it, I fear it's probably toast.
    05-28-2013 05:59 PM
    Rice is a good start...

I agree it may take quite some time to dry it out that way. Maybe see if you can get some Silica Gel. That will do the job faster.
    Saiga likes this.
    05-28-2013 06:53 PM
    I'd leave it in a bag of rice, in your car for 24 to 48 hours. The summer heat inside the car will help the drying. Having said that, most post I read of watered down phones are never great. There is usually something forever wrong with the phone (poor colors, areas of the screen that do not work). Got insurance?
    05-28-2013 07:42 PM
    Don't turn it on for at least 2 days while drying in rice. With your symptoms, it sound like it is already been damaged.
    05-28-2013 09:02 PM
    thank you all, what I did is , I left it in the sun for about two hours, yesterday the red LED was not flashing, today I plugged the phone a second and it was blinking, I`ll leave it in the sun another day and tomorrow I`ll open the phone to check if that video was right ( a video where the guy just disconnects the battery and then he connects it again, later the phone worked perfectly) I`ll tell you the conclusion if it gets fixed if no I`ll send it to fix
    05-30-2013 05:42 PM
    Hello yesterday I dropped my N4 in wter, what I did inmediately was shut the phone and then I put it in rice, 5 minutes before I wrote this post I plugged my phone to the charger, but what it shows instead of the charging image is the black display and my LED is red. I need help, what I did was correct? HELP PLEASE
    The Red LED might just mean the battery is at zero, which does not necessarily mean anything is damaged.

I agree with the people who say you have not let it dry long enough. I would say 2 days minimum to be sure. You will want to put it in rice to aid in drawing out moisture...I would not leave it in direct sunlight or in a car (because of ambient moisture in the air). The goal is to draw moisture out of the phone. If it remains in the air this won't help IMO.

Most insurance will not replace a water damaged phone. This is typically one of their exceptions. If you send it in for insurance replacement, make sure you break it in some other way and claim THAT as the reason...do not mention water damage.
    05-30-2013 05:47 PM
    If you send it in for insurance replacement, make sure you break it in some other way and claim THAT as the reason...do not mention water damage.
    Won't they still be able to see the water damage by that indicator that changes color when it gets wet?
    05-30-2013 07:06 PM
    Won't they still be able to see the water damage by that indicator that changes color when it gets wet?
    That's is true, they can see immediately if it has been in water. The reason for not turning the phone on for a couple of days, is that if it is not dry and you turn it on, that usually results in component damage, which is unrepairable.
    05-30-2013 08:22 PM
    They might, or they might not. The point is, by declaring water damage you are raising red flags. They will know to look for it. You should assume by default that the peons at those companies who are examining these phones are not necessarily all that knowledgeable (they service many different types of phones, not just yours), or might be indifferent even if they are knowledgeable.

It will not guarantee a replacement, but you would have little to lose. If they see you have declared it water damaged, they are likely to deny the claim outright IMO.
    05-31-2013 09:33 AM
    They might, or they might not. The point is, by declaring water damage you are raising red flags. They will know to look for it. You should assume by default that the peons at those companies who are examining these phones are not necessarily all that knowledgeable (they service many different types of phones, not just yours), or might be indifferent even if they are knowledgeable.

It will not guarantee a replacement, but you would have little to lose. If they see you have declared it water damaged, they are likely to deny the claim outright IMO.
    Not true. There is a strip inside the charging port and earphone jack that turns a definite color when it gets wet. That is the first thing they look for.
    Jennifer Stough likes this.
    05-31-2013 09:48 AM
    Not true. There is a strip inside the charging port and earphone jack that turns a definite color when it gets wet. That is the first thing they look for.
    I will take your word for it, but I know people personally who have had water damaged phones replaced before (though I do not know of any Nexus 4 users who have). So it has worked at least a few times.
    05-31-2013 09:58 AM
    you would have little to lose.
    So they don't make you pay up front to ship the phone to them?
    05-31-2013 10:53 AM
    So they don't make you pay up front to ship the phone to them?
    I don't think so, no. You pay the deductible but there are no shipping charges.

My experience has been with the insurance verizon uses. Asurion? I think thats the name.
    05-31-2013 12:01 PM
    Thank Y`all I left it under the sun for little time in the last 2 days and it is back what I found damaged was the LED flash on the back. Do you know where can I leave it to fix? I`m in Ecuador and next week I am going to Spain so I won`t be in the US for a while in Ecuador there are no NEXUSes so I guess in Spain there will be a place. Anybody has an idea where?
    06-02-2013 12:09 PM
    hey... but which rice?
    raw, dry rice or cooked rice?
    09-11-2013 04:52 PM
    hey... but which rice?
    raw, dry rice or cooked rice?
    Shrimp fried rice with hot sauce.
    gusar2000 and Tall Mike 2145 like this.
    09-11-2013 07:18 PM
    Hello everyone. i have nexus 4 and my mobile was completely immersed in water for 5-7 seconds. and stopped working. i read this forum and tried rice bag overnight. and only thing i could achieve was red breathing light and symbol of charging. but the guy who was working in my hospital gave me the best solution which always works.

LET THE MOBILE BE IN SUNLIGHT FOR A WHILE. AND THEN BLOW IT WITH A COMPRESSED AIR BLOWER.

i got my nexus 4 back fully functional.
    09-24-2013 07:07 AM
    Hello everyone. i have nexus 4 and my mobile was completely immersed in water for 5-7 seconds. and stopped working. i read this forum and tried rice bag overnight. and only thing i could achieve was red breathing light and symbol of charging. but the guy who was working in my hospital gave me the best solution which always works.

LET THE MOBILE BE IN SUNLIGHT FOR A WHILE. AND THEN BLOW IT WITH A COMPRESSED AIR BLOWER.

i got my nexus 4 back fully functional.
    Leave it in rice at least 2 days before trying to turn it on, 3 is even better. You turn it on too soon, and it's toast.
    09-24-2013 09:08 AM
    I'd never rely on rice to fully dry out the inside of a phone, there's just to many little crevasses for water to hide in. I once dropped an iPhone into water, fully submerged for probably 8-10 seconds. When I finally got it out, the screen was flickering and turning on/off. I turned it off and proceeded to disassemble as much as I could, drying it out with a Q-Tip. I wiped everything down with isopropyl alcohol, which will readily mix with any water and speed up the evaporation. Once it was all dry, I put it back together and it still works perfectly to this day.

Relying on rice alone, you're going to allow water to stand on electrical components and connections for days before it eventually dries. In that time, metal will corrode and then you're shot. If you can't/don't want to disassemble the phone, use compressed air, heat (hair dryer, heat lamp, etc) to try to get rid of the water ASAP. Evaporation alone will take too long. It might work, but your best chances are to get it completely dry as soon as possible.
    Tall Mike 2145 likes this.
    09-26-2013 10:53 AM