Regarding Google Voice.

iGREASE

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I am currently using T Mobile's $30 plan right now. The only problem is that I happen to live in a area where my signal drops 24/7. I have done some research about Google Voice but I have a question. If I port my current T Mobile # to Google Voice, does that mean I can no longer receive calls via T Mobile's network? If so, is there any app that allows me to receive calls over Wifi?

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Stop

Gv will not work on T-Mobile prepaid. You have to have conditional call forwarding.

Hold on, now. Google Voice works perfectly on my Nexus 4 with T-Mobile's $30/month plan. I have no problems viewing/listening to voicemails via GV either.

If you already set up your voicemail service with TMo, you may need to call in and disable it.

Please don't spread misinformation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I am currently using T Mobile's $30 plan right now. The only problem is that I happen to live in a area where my signal drops 24/7. I have done some research about Google Voice but I have a question. If I port my current T Mobile # to Google Voice, does that mean I can no longer receive calls via T Mobile's network? If so, is there any app that allows me to receive calls over Wifi?

yes, you wont get calls. basically your account will be disabled since you ported the NO. so no data either.

if you want to call via wifi you can use an app called groove ip, but you have to be on wifi to place/receive call

iGREASE

May 7, 2013
Visit site
If I go on Groove IP don't I still have to use Google Voice to receive calls? I mean I guess I don't have to port my number but it would be a pain in the *** to tell everyone to call me at XXX number while I am at home. Is there no way to simply receive calls via wifi without having to use Google Voice?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If I go on Groove IP don't I still have to use Google Voice to receive calls? I mean I guess I don't have to port my number but it would be a pain in the *** to tell everyone to call me at XXX number while I am at home. Is there no way to simply receive calls via wifi without having to use Google Voice?
your first question was that you want to port your no to google voice and now you ask if you have to use google voice?
it like asking this! i want my TV subscription to be cancelled and would still like to see all TV channels but with out any internet connection.

u have to be clear on what you want.

iGREASE

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I thought I was being clear.

First I wanted to know if porting my T Mobile phone number over to Google Voice would cancel my T Mobile service. Since it does, I don't want to do that as I would still like to make phone calls when I leave the house. Of course I could just get a new number from Google and use that instead but that would be a pain in the **** to tell everyone who wants to contact me to call this number instead of that number. How are they even going to know if I am home or not? My last question was, is there any other way to send and receive calls using wifi without having to use Google Voice or porting my current number?

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
You may need to port your number to AT&T if T-Mobile's network does not have adequate coverage for you. That is one possible solution.

If you don't want to use AT&T and you want to stick with T-Mobile, you will probably need to port your number to Google Voice, activate a new T-Mobile SIM card, and associate your new T-Mobile number with your Google Voice account. After that, you can set up Groove IP to ring your Nexus 4 when you're inside your house. Groove IP will use your Google Voice number.

If Groove IP doesn't help, you can buy an "OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and VoIP Telephone Adapter" from Amazon for about $50. It's a box that you connect to your home internet and a regular landline phone. The OBi110 connects to your Google Voice account. When people call your Google Voice number, both your landline phone (using the OBi110) and your Nexus 4 (using T-Mobile) will ring if there is a good signal. If there is a poor T-Mobile signal, your Nexus 4 will not ring, but your landline phone will still ring because the OBi110 will route the call from the internet.

Please note that while there is no monthly charge for using the OBi110, you do not get 911 service. For that, you need to pay $12 per year. Also note that VoIP software (like Groove IP) is incompatible with the OBi110. I think they cancel each other out and nothing rings.

If neither Groove IP nor the OBi110 works for you, you may need to provide more details about your situation. We may need to resort to more complicated solutions.

Good luck!

First I wanted to know if porting my T Mobile phone number over to Google Voice would cancel my T Mobile service. Since it does, I don't want to do that as I would still like to make phone calls when I leave the house. Of course I could just get a new number from Google and use that instead but that would be a pain in the **** to tell everyone who wants to contact me to call this number instead of that number. How are they even going to know if I am home or not? My last question was, is there any other way to send and receive calls using wifi without having to use Google Voice or porting my current number?

Chris2183

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

Just throwing this out there. You can forward your T-Mobile number to a Magic Jack. Your friends would call your TMo number and it would ring a house phone. The service would run you 30/yr.

iGREASE

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I think the simplest option would be to just switch to AT&T for awhile until I move back into the city. What are the best prepaid plans or off-brands to choose from? Do the GoPhone plans get hspa+?

May 23, 2013
Visit site
well that was a good read. i was ready to "port" my number to google from tmobile.
Im currently under the $30 a month plan for tmobile. used up all 100 minutes of talk time REALLY fast. Im expecting calls. But everyone who calls me says my phone is out of service. Doesnt even go to voice mail. Thinking the port will help me out. But i still want to keep Tmobile data plan.
is there anyway i can purchase more minutes from Tmobile or have my phone ring when my cell phone number called.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
But everyone who calls me says my phone is out of service. Doesnt even go to voice mail.

Yeah, that sucks. TMO should allow VM to pick up.

is there anyway i can purchase more minutes from Tmobile.

When I ran out, I logged into the customer portal, which said additional minutes are 10 cents each, so the option is there. But I didn't explore to see how you activate that or whether you can buy blocks for cheaper.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
yes, you wont get calls. basically your account will be disabled since you ported the NO. so no data either.

if you want to call via wifi you can use an app called groove ip, but you have to be on wifi to place/receive call

is it true you lose data plan if you port the number to GV?
Also how will GV take a call if someone was to call your number after the port?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

What you need to do is this:

1. Port your TMobile number to Google Voice (if you want that to be your main number)
2. Get a new TMobile prepaid number
3. In Google Voice, add your TMobile number as one of your phones

Mikeric

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
well that was a good read. i was ready to "port" my number to google from tmobile.
Im currently under the $30 a month plan for tmobile. used up all 100 minutes of talk time REALLY fast. Im expecting calls. But everyone who calls me says my phone is out of service. Doesnt even go to voice mail. Thinking the port will help me out. But i still want to keep Tmobile data plan.
is there anyway i can purchase more minutes from Tmobile or have my phone ring when my cell phone number called.

You can just add money to your T-Mobile account and it will charge 10 cents a minute and use the remainder that you don't use towards your next payment. I have had to do it 2 times on the $30 a month plan.

Posted via Android Central App

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
You can just add money to your T-Mobile account and it will charge 10 cents a minute and use the remainder that you don't use towards your next payment.

Don't you have to turn on that option? I have the same plan as you, and it's set up to pull from my AMEX every month. But instead of automatically taking calls at 10 cents/minute, callers still get the message that I'm unavailable.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't you have to turn on that option? I have the same plan as you, and it's set up to pull from my AMEX every month. But instead of automatically taking calls at 10 cents/minute, callers still get the message that I'm unavailable.
I think you need to add money to your account balance. I doubt tmo is going to bill your Amex 20? here and 10? there for each call.

dcjose48

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
How would SMS/MMS work in this scenerio? I I were to port my main number to GV and then get another number just for data purposes, would I have to tell everyone to text me at my non-GV number?

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I I were to port my main number to GV and then get another number just for data purposes, would I have to tell everyone to text me at my non-GV number?

Google voice recieves txt (SMS) messages, but not picture messages (MMS). If you don't care about picture messages it works well...calls and texts to your GV number. While I have not checked in a while, GV may still allow the option to forward text messages to EMail, where pictures may show up as attachments. But, I am not aware of any easy way to SEND picture messages via google voice. Perhaps others can confirm.

An overlooked benefit of this it that you can now have text messages sent to multiple devices and your computer via apps such as GVnotifier, Talkatone (my favorite), etc... I like being able to see and respond to text messages and phone calls from whichever device (desktop, laptop, iPad, android tablet, or Nexus) I happen to be using.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC