I'm on the cusp of jumping ship from iOS to Android after 5 years and have been researching and debating which way to go as far as devices and service. I really like the design, build and features on the HTC One but also love the price point of the Nexus as well as the build quality and fact that its vanilla Android so it will always be up to date.

The price of the Nexus makes it so attractive and with a low t-mobile plan I can finally put AT&T's outrageous monthly charges behind me.

The HTC One on Sprint is attractive because they are offering it for $99 after 2-yr plus a trade in. I'll be sending in my old iPhone 4 but don't know about sticking with Sprint for 2 years.

What do you guys think? What's the better deal? What would you do?

Thanks
    05-31-2013 11:35 PM
    I'm on the cusp of jumping ship from iOS to Android after 5 years and have been researching and debating which way to go as far as devices and service. I really like the design, build and features on the HTC One but also love the price point of the Nexus as well as the build quality and fact that its vanilla Android so it will always be up to date.

The price of the Nexus makes it so attractive and with a low t-mobile plan I can finally put AT&T's outrageous monthly charges behind me.

The HTC One on Sprint is attractive because they are offering it for $99 after 2-yr plus a trade in. I'll be sending in my old iPhone 4 but don't know about sticking with Sprint for 2 years.

Thanks
    Get the One on T-Mobile. With the new thing that they're doing you pay a $99 down payment, and pay $20 dollars a month for two years. You can pay it in less than two years, and upgrade whenever you want. Even with the added monthly phone payments, your bill will still be cheaper than the other carriers.
    Biggnaa20 likes this.
    05-31-2013 11:57 PM

Thanks

Sprint is probably charging your around $600 for the phone, built into the price of their contract.
    06-01-2013 06:30 AM
    I am not American, but I do say - choose your carrier before your phone. Having the reception tops minor tweaks in hardware, I am lucky I live in a country with all GSM mobiles so I don't need to worry about the phone (and I am used to always buying my mobiles prepaid or unlocked). Make sure T-Mobile covers where you live well and make sure its tolerable before the switch if you go that way. Both are extremely nice phones, I wouldn't mind either but I guess simple economics how you favour your own product more once you have ownership I prefer my sexy nexus.

Both are amazing phones, different kinda software (unless you get the One GE) I am sure you will be happy both ways. Enjoy the switch to android I wish you all the best, My brother in law swapped from ios to samsung s4 last month, he loves it but he said he is still learning as there is so much you can do! It will take a bit of working out but I am sure you will get there. Everyone is always learning.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not American, but I do say - choose your carrier before your phone. Having the reception tops minor tweaks in hardware, I am lucky I live in a country with all GSM mobiles so I don't need to worry about the phone (and I am used to always buying my mobiles prepaid or unlocked). Make sure T-Mobile covers where you live well and make sure its tolerable before the switch if you go that way. Both are extremely nice phones, I wouldn't mind either but I guess simple economics how you favour your own product more once you have ownership I prefer my sexy nexus.

Both are amazing phones, different kinda software (unless you get the One GE) I am sure you will be happy both ways. Enjoy the switch to android I wish you all the best, My brother in law swapped from ios to samsung s4 last month, he loves it but he said he is still learning as there is so much you can do! It will take a bit of working out but I am sure you will get there. Everyone is always learning.
    06-01-2013 07:15 AM
    I just left Sprint for T-Mobile and the Nexus 4. Could not be happier. Where I am at, Minneapolis, T-Mobile has better coverage and data speeds. Also helped that T-Mobile is contract free now.
    Fairclough likes this.
    06-01-2013 07:20 AM
    I just left Sprint for T-Mobile and the Nexus 4. Could not be happier.
    Same here. I was with Sprint for several years, and the past two were horrible. I got tired of promises of 3G capacity upgrades and LTE, and don't get me started on the WiMAX debacle.
    06-01-2013 09:01 AM
    Unlocked GSM = freedom

CDMA on Sprint = few options to switch, if any (no telling what the mvno Sprint landscape will be in the future, but that would be the only option - mvno of Sprint)

Like Fairclough said: pick your carrier first. When I was leaving Straight Talk, I looked around and T-Mo had the best deal/coverage ratio in my area. I had a GNex that would run on T-Mo's towers so I switched... Then I said, "N4 here I come. Wahoooooo!!!!!"
    06-01-2013 12:16 PM
    What Fairclough said. Sprint in general will have broader coverage, especially outside of cities and away from major highways. However, T-Mo really can't be beat on price (which was once Sprint's claim to fame). If T-Mo coverage suits your needs, go with them.

As for phone, the Nexus 4 is a fantastic device as is the HTC One. Yes, the Nexus will get updates far quicker than the One but the One has more up to date internals and you might find a lot of added value with HTC's customizations. Both will serve you well. I would go into a T-Mo store and play with them, see which one you like better. Also, if you take lots of night shots, it's hard to beat the One's low-light camera capabilities and it's overall probably more durable than the N4.
    06-01-2013 01:06 PM
    I was with Sprint for about 11 years. Left them January of this year and im kicking my self for not doing it sooner.
    The biggest thing is make sure TMO has the coverage you need. As a few other people mentioned choose the carrier first for coverage / speeds / price then choose the device. If they do then my recommendation is for T-Mobile.
    Im in Dallas, TX and im getting 3-4 times the data speeds on TMOs HSDDPA+ network then i got on Sprints 3G CDMA EVDO network. I get 2-3 times the speeds on TMO then i got with Sprints WiMax or LTE.
    CoMoNexus likes this.
    06-01-2013 04:21 PM
    I echo the same advice of checking the coverage in your area. I left Sprint for Tmo prepaid on a Nexus 4 and have been very happy. The coverage isn't as broad buy the data speeds are far superior where I am in comparison to the wimax coverage I was getting. Definitely check with people around you to see what their experience had been.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    CoMoNexus likes this.
    06-01-2013 04:27 PM
    So let me ask this question....

Say this fine gentleman buys the excellent device known as the LG Nexus 4 and signs up with T-Mobile's "Uncarrier" plans. He digs the plan and the phone but the calling of the HTC One is far too much for him to handle and he decides that he will sell his Nexus 4 and get the HTC One. Will the price still be the same? As in, will T-Mobile allow him to put a down payment on the phone and make monthly payments as if he were a new customer?
    06-01-2013 04:40 PM
    Did you buy the nexus 4 outright? or did you choose the pay 20 bucks a month option?
    IF you chose to buy outright, then TMO should be able to "finance" the device for you with a down payment then 20 or 25 a month added to the bill.
    IF you chose to pay monthly for your nexus 4 then you would need to pay off that device first before TMo will let you add another device to be financed by them.
    06-01-2013 05:59 PM
    I would get the Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    06-01-2013 08:26 PM

Thanks
    Nexus 4 on T-Mobile. Both phones are great. I prefer Nexus because of the updates, rooting, custom ROMs ect.. But I would be happy with HTC One as well. Just do your homework on which company has better reception and data speeds in your area. Sprint is garbage in my area. T-Mobile on the other is great.

From my Nexus 4 via Android Central App
    06-01-2013 08:55 PM
    So let me ask this question....

Say this fine gentleman buys the excellent device known as the LG Nexus 4 and signs up with T-Mobile's "Uncarrier" plans. He digs the plan and the phone but the calling of the HTC One is far too much for him to handle and he decides that he will sell his Nexus 4 and get the HTC One. Will the price still be the same? As in, will T-Mobile allow him to put a down payment on the phone and make monthly payments as if he were a new customer?
    Did you buy the nexus 4 outright? or did you choose the pay 20 bucks a month option?
    IF you chose to buy outright, then TMO should be able to "finance" the device for you with a down payment then 20 or 25 a month added to the bill.
    IF you chose to pay monthly for your nexus 4 then you would need to pay off that device first before TMo will let you add another device to be financed by them.
    What IAmSixNine said...

Plus: The new deal with T-Mo means you can upgrade at any time. There is no more waiting 18 to 24 months for an upgrade credit. Phones can be paid off early. Phones can be added whenever you like (new customer or old = same payment deal). The only restriction is credit approval for the 0.00% APR financing. Or bring your own phone whenever and swap your SIM around.
    06-02-2013 12:51 PM
    If you are price conscious and considering Sprint it is hard to beat the LG Optimus G. I just picked one up off contract for $210, if you do sign a contract I bet you can find it free.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-02-2013 10:26 PM
    If you are price conscious and considering Sprint it is hard to beat the LG Optimus G. I just picked one up off contract for $210, if you do sign a contract I bet you can find it free.

Where did you get it for $210?

06-02-2013 10:36 PM

The price of the phone should not be the biggest factor in the decision, however, and the "free phone on contract" is a trap that almost every carrier in the US has adopted. Over the life of your contract and what you'll pay in monthly service fees, the carrier will make that money back and more off you. You're much better off buying your phone outright (as the poster above did), or going with something like T-Mo's installment plan if dropping a chunk of cash at the start is not an option. I've already paid for my 16gb Nexus 4 with the money I've saved from ditching Sprint back in December, and that includes $80 in early termination fees. I've tasted phone freedom, and I won't sign a contract again unless I'm forced to.
    06-03-2013 09:22 AM
    Where did you get it for $210?

I used swappa.com, also look at eBay, craigslist. I think that because you can get it at Best Buy free on contract, people with big family plans are taking the free upgrade, and selling the phone for $200-300. Should get mine later today, I'll post more thoughts when I do. With the JB update and low price this phone deserves a new mini-review.

06-03-2013 09:44 AM
    I've already paid for my 16gb Nexus 4 with the money I've saved from ditching Sprint back in December, and that includes $80 in early termination fees. I've tasted phone freedom, and I won't sign a contract again unless I'm forced to.
    Agreed. For years I thought there was no way I'd ever be able to beat my Sprint SERO plan: $50 (~$57 with taxes) for unlimited data, text and nav, 500 mins anytime voice and unlimited nights and weekends. But TMO's $30 5 GB, unlimited text and 100 minute plan was perfect because I use my phone for data and text more than talking. Now I'm saving about $25/month. Faster speeds are the icing on the cake. And if TMO's network starts to crap out like Sprint's, I can always switch carriers if I want to pay more for QoS.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    06-03-2013 10:15 AM