Nexus 4 storage discrepancy

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
So I decided to check out how much storage I have and I've got around 3GB completely unaccounted for.

I've tried rebooting and downloading a cache cleaner, but no luck. The graph itself shows that almost a quarter of the space is empty, but the numbers say I have 1.2GB free from 12.92GB. Can anybody help me out?

I will add screenshots tomorrow.

Posted via Android Central App

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Use the app DiskUsage to see what's using up your space.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.google.android.diskusage&token=VHMLU3hO

If you're asking why you have 12.92GB of storage rather than the advertised 16GB, it's because of 2 things.
1. The 16GB advertised assumes 1GB = 1 billion bytes. However, the OS reports 1GB as 1,073,741,824 bytes.(Gigabyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
2. Some of the storage is partitioned to hold the Android OS.

This means that out of the 16GB of space advertised, there's really only about 15GB due to the binary conversion. Then out of the 15GB, only about 13GB is actually accessible to the user.

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't make it clear. I'm told I have 1.2GB left but when I add up the totals of storage used it adds up to 8-9GB, meaning I should have more than 1.2GB remaining.

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I didn't make it clear. I'm told I have 1.2GB left but when I add up the totals of storage used it adds up to 8-9GB, meaning I should have more than 1.2GB remaining.

Ok, I get what you mean now. It?s the same for me. I believe it?s just because the OS fails to label certain files so they?re not categorized.

Anyway, just use DiskUsage to see all your space. Everything will add up and there won?t be any surprises.