Just got my Nexus 4!!!!

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Just arrived an hour ago and I am blown away so far!! Amazing! Loving this device so far. First observation is that it does get pretty warm quickly. I'm connected to WiFi only and have been using the phone for only 15-20min on web and playing around with photosphere and the phone is warmer than my iPhone 4 during normal use. Most times I will only experience this type of warmth on my iPhone if I'm using it in an area with poor WiFi or if I've been on it for several hours non-stop. Hope its nothing. We'll see. I'll play around with it some more and see how it goes.

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
When I took my nexus out of the box it had 44% battery. I'm at 22% battery now and Im only using WiFi. Haven't put a Sim card in yet. Shouldn't my battery be better if I'm on wifi instead of cellular? Could not having cellular/ SIM cause excess battery drain?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370493507360.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370493507360.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 62
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370493521057.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370493521057.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 60

dcjose48

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
When I took my nexus out of the box it had 44% battery. I'm at 22% battery now and Im only using WiFi. Haven't put a Sim card in yet. Shouldn't my battery be better if I'm on wifi instead of cellular? Could not having cellular/ SIM cause excess battery drain?

Well the only downside I see with this phone is the battery life. It simply isn't the best compared to other phones. Your going to have to adjust the brightness and other settings to try and get the most out of it. Being on WiFi helps get better battery life. Plus I've heard that it takes a couple of charging cycles to get the battery to perform better. But I usually have an extra charger with me so I don't worry about it that much.

Posted via Android Central App

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah this is what I gathered about the battery from all the other reviews too. I'll continue to test this out and see how it goes. I'm usually near an outlet or charger all day at work anyway and I spend a large portion of my day in a WiFi enabled area.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I got my Nexus about a week ago and I Jane been thoroughly impressed with it. I have no complaints about the battery life. I can go twelve hours and end with 40 percent left. This is my first time buying an unlocked smartphone. I must say that this is the way to go.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Regarding battery life, you will have to wait a week or so once you are settled in your usage of the phone I think. The first few days are not really reflective of how you are going to use the phone in the future. Also if you haven't done it already, you might want to consider rooting the phone. First because when you do it you will loose all your data, and second because it allows you to install a custom kernel and I think many people (including myself) have had very positive experiences with battery life and custom kernels.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just arrived an hour ago and I am blown away so far!! Amazing! Loving this device so far. First observation is that it does get pretty warm quickly. I'm connected to WiFi only and have been using the phone for only 15-20min on web and playing around with photosphere and the phone is warmer than my iPhone 4 during normal use. Most times I will only experience this type of warmth on my iPhone if I'm using it in an area with poor WiFi or if I've been on it for several hours non-stop. Hope its nothing. We'll see. I'll play around with it some more and see how it goes.

It's just warming up to you.

Emma Challis

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Congrats!

I upgraded from an iPhone 4S to a Nexus and I must say what a fantastic piece of kit!

Don't worry too much about the remaining battery estimation as it is based on your current usage and as it's a shiny new phone you're going to have it in your hand more than normal. For example, if you play games for ten minutes it will give you an estimate of how much longer your battery will last if you continue to play games. Attached is an example of my remaining battery and I took my phone off charge at 8am, sent about five texts via WhatsApp and spent about 10 minutes on Facebook.

Might I suggest you try batteryGuru? It takes two days to learn about how you use your phone and makes battery adjustments based on that. The best part is that it switches my wifi off if I leave the house and turns it back on when I get to work! Whether it's actually saving me any battery I don't know because I've not had the luxury of the phone going flat yet! Also, if you don't have a wireless charger, turn NFC off and obviously bluetooth. I can't even remember the last time I used bluetooth!

ENJOY!:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-06-10-31-21.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-06-10-31-21.png
    288.9 KB · Views: 32

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My N4 used alot of battery when I first got it because I was ot constantly adjusting it, adding widgets, etc.. Now it easily goes all day, and lasts better than my Samsung Exhibit that it replaced.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Didn't you let it charge to 100% before you started using it?

Last edited:

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree going unlocked is the way to go. Feels so liberating. As for the device itself I love it. Just charged it up to 100% over night and will be testing it out further today to seen how the battery does then I'll move on to learning how to customize this little puppy to look and feel and do what I want. Yay!!

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hahahaha! No! I got it out of the box and got straight to business lol. It got here at like 9pm because UPS was running late. I was working late and did not get home until about 10p so I wasted no time when I got in lol. But I did charge it over night to 100% and will play around with bit today some more and see how it goes.

Question: does the vibrate during typing use up more batter to make that vibration happen? Not use to that on iPhone but I would think it would deplete battery more. Any way to stop that? I went into settings and turned off vibrate on touch but I don't think that's the same as vibrate on typing.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Hahahaha! No! I got it out of the box and got straight to business lol. It got here at like 9pm because UPS was running late. I was working late and did not get home until about 10p so I wasted no time when I got in lol. But I did charge it over night to 100% and will play around with bit today some more and see how it goes.

Question: does the vibrate during typing use up more batter to make that vibration happen? Not use to that on iPhone but I would think it would deplete battery more. Any way to stop that? I went into settings and turned off vibrate on touch but I don't think that's the same as vibrate on typing.

Go into the keyboard settings and turn off vibrate on key press.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think my battery life is about the same as what I get on my iPhone 4S. I have the brightness set at half way, maybe a bit higher.

I do occasionally get a glitch where the screen will turn on in my pocket and stay on till I use it for the first time, usually about an hour later. This is with the slide to unlock enabled. I also had a thing happen where it got warm in my pocket and after an hour finally checked it to find out the screen wouldn't come on. I had to hold the power button to get it to come back on and battery was down to 84& in that one hour. Another time I got a call and the slide to unlock wouldn't move. Found out all I had to do was press the sleep button and then turn it on again to answer the call.

They have a few glitches but it is still my main phone over my iPhone 4s. I never owned an iPhone that didn't have a wake up problem once in a while to where I had to reset it to get it to come back on.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I find sometimes I have to reboot my N4 after putting SIM in, it will sometimes show very little battery left. Once it reboots, it will show a day-plus time on battery! quirky.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

The reason they tell you to charge the phone to 100% when you get it before using it, is that the partial charge will exhaust pretty quickly. Every phone behaves that way, that I have owned.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The reason they tell you to charge the phone to 100% when you get it before using it, is that the partial charge will exhaust pretty quickly. Every phone behaves that way, that I have owned.

I didn't have time to charge mine when I got it. I barely had time to call T-Mobile to activate it (I had originally bought mine through T-Mobile, free with two year contract and cancelled the contract). After activating, I had to go to work. The battery was at 75% out of the box. Seven hours later, it was about 60%. About three hours in, I had my contacts and email synced with my Google account.