Nexus 4 on AIO wireless and APN settings

dnryon

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 4 made the jump from StraightTalk to Aio wireless a few days ago and is doing quite well. I am out of one of the launch cities of Aio and am getting really great service data and voice. I am averaging 7mbps speeds consistently on HSPA+ network and have had no problems.

I also wanted to post the APN settings for those looking around for this is a relatively new service and the APN is not yet listed with any app I could find. Note the MMS takes up to an hour to get established on your line for some reason but it is working for me. :)

 Name: Aio Wireless
 APN: ndo
 Proxy: Not Set
 Port: Not Set
 Username: Not Set
 Password: Not Set
 Server: Not Set
 MMSC: http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
 MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
 MMS Port: 80
 MCC: 310
 MNC: 150
 Authentication type: Not Set
 APN type: default, mms, fota, hipri, supl

CeruleanBlue58

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Keep the posts coming on what service and performance is like. I just read about AIO (a no-contract option offered through AT&T) very recently. First dumb thing I noticed about them, however, you must visit a store to keep your existing phone number, and stores are only now opening up in a couple states, Florida and Texas, I think? WTF?

dnryon

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The service has been great. I have not read/heard about anything concerning numbers, I use Google voice so it was not a factor for me. There is not much in staff yet for Aio, I guess that's why they have such a small release. I live in Tampa so I was part of the launch. It works just the same as my AT&T work line. Which is saying something, I was on straight talk with an att Sim and the service was good but varied from my AT&T line. Aio has been great. And with Aio I am automatically connected to att WiFi spots which are in many airports. This was not the same with ST. I recommend the service and suspect that they will be rolling it out to more cities soon the price and options are fantastic. And before anyone asks, I work for a secure company and have to keep a personal phone as I am not to use my work line outside of work. Its very annoying...

Also if anyone likes data and excel sheets, aio provides your data usage in DL form for excel...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Straight Talk definitely needs some AT&T MVNO competition for unlocked phones, as it has become a nightmare lately. I hope AIO spreads across the country rapidly. I have the same issue as others have mentioned, as I am not going to drive 1000 miles to Tampa Florida to a store so I can keep my existing phone number. What is up with that?

CeruleanBlue58

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Visiting a store to keep your existing number, that's exactly what is conveyed on their web site. See the "Want to keep your number?" link. I can't imagine what the thinking is there unless there are technical limitations involved. Heck, if they'll offer me AT&T coverage at a reduced rate for bringing my own device, I'm there, or rather here .. in NC. It may be another year or more waiting for a store to come near me. If they're smart, they'll fill this void quickly before someone else does.

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Interesting.....I just came across two job descriptions on Monster for AIO Wireless in Philadelphia (Regional Director of Sales and an Indirect Sales Executive), which is very close to me in New Jersey.

Michael Ray4

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I think it so the stores make money! All my local stores charge a $25 activation fee.... Ugh....

I too was on ST and had no problems until they tried to bill my credit card almost $1,000 and the only answer they would give me was, the charges did not go through so do not worry about it.... Their CS is horrible if and when you get in touch with someone...

Thanks for posting the apn's! No one at aio knew what they were....

HC2.2

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Just switched my AT&T number over to Aio. Download speeds running about 3.5 Mbps and upload round 1 Mbps. However, PING is longish at around 230 ms. Also not getting mms yet. It has been about 70 minutes since I activated so perhaps I need to wait a little bit as the thread author wrote.

HC2.2

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, the MMS did not work. So I edited the APN setting for APN type: default,supl,mms and now it is sending and receiving mms messages.

barbiealonso

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have had AIO for two months now and firstly I did have to go into a store but not because I cared about my number but I wanted to see what they were about.. Now before this I had tmomo and I have a gs3 I unlocked so no big worries there. I have had stronger signal and better reception even inside my own home ::gasp:: where calls were made on occasion. I have had no issues at all with customer service, I use google voice so that is also no big deal for me as far as anything is concerned was able to forward all the calls I needed and avoid dealing with any other vm issues. My only gripe would be is that they dont support short code, which is basically like if the radio station has a code to text a certain word to in order to win a contest I can't text that number. Which I guess I can get used to or work around but otherwise

Yomba

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had AIO for two months now and firstly I did have to go into a store but not because I cared about my number but I wanted to see what they were about.. Now before this I had tmomo and I have a gs3 I unlocked so no big worries there. I have had stronger signal and better reception even inside my own home ::gasp:: where calls were made on occasion. I have had no issues at all with customer service, I use google voice so that is also no big deal for me as far as anything is concerned was able to forward all the calls I needed and avoid dealing with any other vm issues. My only gripe would be is that they dont support short code, which is basically like if the radio station has a code to text a certain word to in order to win a contest I can't text that number. Which I guess I can get used to or work around but otherwise

Yomba

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
How do I disable or delete the AIO voicemail so that I can effectively use my Google voice account and number? I continue to be sent to their stone age voicemail instead of Google Voice. Any tips?

Leslie Johnson

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Off topic but I have a nexus 4 and AIO wireless but I can't get data I can talk and text but no data do you know what the problem can be? I've checked with several AIO stores but know help.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Off topic but I have a nexus 4 and AIO wireless but I can't get data I can talk and text but no data do you know what the problem can be? I've checked with several AIO stores but know help.

First, try Settings -> More... -> Mobile networks -> Data enabled. Is it checked? If not, enable it and test again. If it was already enabled, then...

Settings -> More... -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names. If there are any entries there at all, tap each one in turn then tap the menu icon at top right and tap Delete APN.

Once the list is empty, tap the + icon to add a new APN, as follows:

Name: Internet
APN: ndo
Proxy: Not Set
Port: Not Set
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 150
Authentication type: Not Set
APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl
Note: on the above APN type be sure to enter it exactly as it is listed...don't include any spaces!

Tap Save to finish, then go back to the APN list and make sure the new APN just entered is enabled (the blue dot will be lit up).
Reboot your phone (long-press the power button, select Power off; after phone shuts down, long-press the power button until it restarts).

( Andriod & Windows Network Setup )

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
FWIW: I signed up my Nexus 4 with AIO on just the "Tablet Plan" (because I'm only using it for data -- the phone was an impulse buy when it went on super-sale a month or so ago). Works great. Had to manually enter the APN info, and can confirm the above is all accurate, and once I did that, it's all good. Very happy with the speeds.

-AJ

chiefandrews

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
First, try Settings -> More... -> Mobile networks -> Data enabled. Is it checked? If not, enable it and test again. If it was already enabled, then...

APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl
Note: on the above APN type be sure to enter it exactly as it is listed...don't include any spaces!

Tap Save to finish, then go back to the APN list and make sure the new APN just entered is enabled (the blue dot will be lit up).
Reboot your phone (long-press the power button, select Power off; after phone shuts down, long-press the power button until it restarts).

( Andriod & Windows Network Setup )

Hey thanks!!! I have had AIO for about 10 days. I just realized I wasn't getting pictures in my text messages. I chatted with AIO, but they weren't able to help. They assigned me a ticket and said it would have to be escalated. They provided the APN settings (which DID include a space). I tried without a space just to see. It worked. Thanks again.

On a side note, I will say I am satisfied with the service. The only thing I noticed is there are differences in where you have service vs post-paid AT&T service. My wife and I have a family AT&T plan. My line is suspended for a deployment. I just returned and decided to try AIO. We were traveling in north Georgia. Several times I lost service, but my wife had service. It was kind of frustrating. However, it was in the mountains. Otherwise, I've had pretty good signal strength and service.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey thanks!!! I have had AIO for about 10 days. I just realized I wasn't getting pictures in my text messages. I chatted with AIO, but they weren't able to help. They assigned me a ticket and said it would have to be escalated. They provided the APN settings (which DID include a space). I tried without a space just to see. It worked. Thanks again.

On a side note, I will say I am satisfied with the service. The only thing I noticed is there are differences in where you have service vs post-paid AT&T service. My wife and I have a family AT&T plan. My line is suspended for a deployment. I just returned and decided to try AIO. We were traveling in north Georgia. Several times I lost service, but my wife had service. It was kind of frustrating. However, it was in the mountains. Otherwise, I've had pretty good signal strength and service.

Repeating an earlier post of mine:

Don't just assume that AIO ill get you the same coverage as AT&T.

I never gave much thought to this, but according to this recent New York Times article http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/t...e-finding-a-phone-and-plan-that-fit.html?_r=0 the coverage offered by AIO Wireless is not the same as that offered with AT&T's "regular" plans, even though it uses the same network. The same seems to be true for all the carriers who offer both prepaid and pay as you go plans.

Check out the article; it is an interesting read. Specifically concerning AIO, it says, "...and the company uses AT&T’s network, though the coverage area is smaller than it is for AT&T’s contract plans."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11