Uninstalled Apps not removing all data?

Emma Challis

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this issue however, yesterday I decided to have an app cleanup and removed any apps that I don't use.

Today I was backing up my photos the traditional way, plugging the phone into the PC and found that the data for this apps was still present? Is this normal? Or should I be clearing the app data and then uninstalling it?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this issue however, yesterday I decided to have an app cleanup and removed any apps that I don't use.

Today I was backing up my photos the traditional way, plugging the phone into the PC and found that the data for this apps was still present? Is this normal? Or should I be clearing the app data and then uninstalling it?

You can try clearing app data before an uninstall. I have never tried it, so I don't know how well that will work. I have Clean Master from Play, and upon app deletion it clears some of the data left behind.

I think Android allows some of it to remain in the event you redownload the app. (That is a guess though)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes its common for uninstalled apps to leave behind things, especially if a folder/directory was created for the application on your internal storage space. That is usually left behind and requires you to clean it up.

JohnBB101

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Yup, if an App places data files in the data/obb folder, chances are it'll leave residual files. You could do any of the two things:

1. Check out Clean Master, this is a really neat program, with a simple UI, that'll help clean up those persistent files.
  2. Download a File Browser (I recommend Astro), navigate to sdcard/Android/ and manually delete the resdiual files

Last edited:

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, if an App places data files in the data/obb folder, chances are it'll leave residual files. You could any of the two things:

1. Check out Clean Master, this is a really neat program, with a simple UI, that'll help clean up those persistent files.
  2. Download a File Browser (I recommend Astro), navigate to sdcard/Android/ and manually delete the resdiual files

I use Astro which is like windows explorer for Android. Works great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca