Trade up a Galaxy Nexus for a Nexus 4?

arcoms

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

I currently have a Galaxy Nexus and have had it for about a year. It's been great up to now, and honestly, it's been the best all around smart phone I've ever had. The software has been a big part of that. Having all the features of Android as a Google experience has been great, and the timely updates have been pretty good (though I am on Sprint, they've actually done a great job of getting the updates out within about 2 months, which in comparison to HTC and Samsung phones that is GREAT). I've gotten spoiled and I don't think I can ever do a non Nexus phone again.

That being said, it is getting long in the tooth and showing it's age. I've been considering getting a Nexus 4, but can't really afford to put down $350 right now (although that IS a great price for the device). I saw that T-Mobile has the Nexus 4 at $0 and $17 per month for a total cost of $408, which isn't bad. Their service in my area is better than Sprint so I wouldn't mind switching carriers. But is it even worth it at this point? It's been out for the better part of a year, and the next generation is expected within the next four months. I could just hold out and wait, especially since the next one will likely have a better camera.

Just looking for some suggestions I suppose. Any comments will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

nazem

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think you should hold out for the next gen. It'll most likely have the same price yet more up-to-date specs (Even though the N4 is a beast already). Plus you'll have time to save up and buy it upfront from google.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The only thing about waiting for the next one is that there is no guarantee that you will be able to get it. The Nexus 4 was sold out for a long while and those who were able to preorder it didn't receive it on time. I'm not saying that it will definitely happen this next time around. But the Nexus is growing in popularity and many are waiting for the next installment. Furthermore, the first batch seems to always have hardware issues. It may be best just to get the Nexus 4 now and not have to go through any of those issues. All of the accessories are out for it. And you now have two colors to choose from.

sent from my Nexus 4; so fresh and so clean

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If your not a person who has to have the next latest and greatest then its worth considering. The N4 is no slouch by any means. It will/should continue to receive strong Google support for the next addition of Android update and possibly even more after. Seems like the average Google support life for the Nexus line is minimum 2 years.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised that I haven't seen any leaked photos of the Nexus 5 yet. Seems like this time last year there were leaked images all over the place.

sent from my Nexus 4; so fresh and so clean

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Make the move...

A) The 0.00% financing on the phone sounds like a plan you need
B) Going from Sprint EV-DO to T-Mo H+ 42 will be a huge improvement
C) No guarantee on what the next Nexus will price at or if any carrier will have it in store
D) Sounds like you are ready to move on from the phone and the carrier you have currently

The only drawback I see is that your CDMA GNex probably won't be getting on the Ubuntu Touch train when it leaves the station...

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the SGSIII, which i love, but i've always wanted the Nexus4. My AT&T contract is up in Apr.2014, and hopefully by then the Nexus5 will be out. I live in a 4G LTE zone, and that's the only reason that i haven't gotten the Nexus4. I do have the "unlimited everything" family plan, which i heard was being phased out for "new" customers, so i should be good to go if i get the Nexus5, and put the sim from my SGSIII into it. If i'm mistaken, someone please come back at me, and give me some better advice. Thanks for any help.:p

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
If they make a Nexus 5, it will probably be at the same price point which you stated you can't afford. I just upgraded to the N4 coming from the Google Nexus and really like the phone. Much faster on both Wi-Fi and network connections. Also with a quad core and 2 gigs of RAM, it will take awhile to become outdated in specs. I think you will be very happy with the N4 just like myself coming from the same phone you currently have.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

arcoms

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Just because the Moto X will be on all carriers and run stock Android, it doesn't necessarily mean it WILL be the next Nexus. I think that's more along the lines of the "Nexus Experience" editions manufacturers are doing now (Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One, etc.).

boxer2

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The other thing to consider is to buy the Nexus 4 now and sell it when the Nexus 5 comes out. As others have said, no guarantee your carrier will offer the 5 so you could go many more months of waiting. No one knows what the price of the new Nexus will be either. Just my 02 cents.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Do you know what kind of plan you will need (not the one you will be on if you get a phone on an installment plan from T-Mobile, but what's the plan you can do with)? The reason I ask you to consider this is that if you don't talk on the phone much, you may be able to avail yourself to the T-mobile prepaid plan for $30 a month that includes 100 minutes, but unlimited texting and 5 GB of high speed data. If you can do with this plan, you may well be saving $30 a month as opposed to your monthly plan that you would otherwise get. At that rate of savings, it might well be worth putting the Nexus 4 (or the next Nexus phone) on a credit card and paying it off a little by little.

Counting taxes and delivery charged on the play store, the 16 GB model will cost you about $380, as opposed to T-mobile's $408. That's a little more than 7% extra, which if you can pay the phone off on a credit card even in 4 months (assuming a CC interest rate of 20%), you will still come out ahead/even and be able to choose a plan that will cost you less. Factor in the monthly savings if you can do with the $30 prepaid plan, and you can take a bit more time to pay off your credit card too.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
But is it even worth it at this point? It's been out for the better part of a year, and the next generation is expected within the next four months. I could just hold out and wait, especially since the next one will likely have a better camera.
If money is an issue for you, yes, it is worth it. Because none of the alternatives will touch the pricepoint of the Nexus 4 anytime soon. You can get a Vanilla S4 of HTC One, and both are better in every way...but they are not cheap, and as far as I know, they will not be subsidized anytime soon. The Nexus 4 is comparable to both in speed and abilities, even if they are technically better in a lot of ways.

The Nexus 4 is significantly better than the Galaxy Nexus IMO. It is a real nexus device without the verizon strings on the Galaxy nexus. It has a better display, better camera (far superior Macro mode, and a lot less noise in normal pictures), MUCH faster CPU, double the RAM, Wireless charging and NFC. If you already like the Galaxy Nexus, you will like this phone a lot more. The extra horsepower is very noticeable when multi-tasking.

Downsides: It is more fragile than the Galaxy nexus. You cannot expand/upgrade the battery.

IMO, the Next Nexus will not be out till at least November, if then. The price is good and T-Mobile will subsidize you. So I recommend pulling the trigger on the Nexus 4.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

tumblr_m4hrunhrak1qc4s2ao1_500.jpg

How are they cramming a battery twice as big into the same space? There is NOT a lot of room in the nexus 4...it is very tight in there. It says there is no new battery door for this product.

Also, how does this affect the heat? The Nexus 4 uses the battery for it's heat dissipation.

Without some reviews, I would avoid this product.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan