Late to the Party

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I know I'm late, but my wife and I are looking at switching to T-Mobile and picking up a couple Nexus 4's. 2 thoughts: 1. Is it WAY too late to the party, with the next iteration only 4-5 months away? 2. If you had it to do over again, would you still pull the trigger on the N4's or is there something else you wish you'd have gotten instead?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it is too late and I would have still bought the Nexus 4 if I had to do it all over again. The only difference is I would buy the white one if I was buying now. I wouldn't be too concerned about buying before any supposed release of the Nexus 5 in Nov/Dec because that is still 5 months out and you would get 5 months enjoyment out of the Nexus 4. It might also save you a lot of frustration if any of the same supply issues arise and some people were stuck weeks and weeks waiting to get their hands on a Nexus 4. Heck, I missed the first wave and wasn't able to get one until February.

You would just set your buying cycle for you and your wife every July, and it gives you a chance to see how good the next iteration of the Nexus is, not to mention time for defects and kinks to be worked out. For instance, they updated the backs from the originals backs so now they have tiny nobs in all four corners. There also is no guarantee that Google will subsidize the Nexus 5, so you might save money with the Nexus 4.

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Is it way too late to get an N4 now? It?s hard to say. Indeed, the next Nexus is around the corner as you already know. I think it depends on what you?re upgrading from. If you?re using something in the class of the Galaxy Nexus or above, I?d wait for the next Nexus.
It also depends on whether or not you care about things like 1080p resolution, LTE, and storage.

If I had to do it all over again, I?d still get the N4. No regrets. Great hardware at an excellent price.
In fact, if I had to pick a phone to buy right now, I?d still pick the N4. I?ll take it over the S4 and the HTC One. And that?s not even considering the huge price difference between the N4 and the competition.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Clarification: Both of us would be dropping the Verizon Galaxy Nexus for T-Mobile.

Also - most important question of all: White or Black?

Last edited:

Dx3me

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from a Galaxy S4 myself, and man... the Nexus 4 just blows the S4 away, experience-wise that is.
Yes, the S4 is faster and comes with a bigger screen and better camera, but it's also not working as snappy with some of the apps that the N4 has absolutely no problem with.
Also, the build quality of the N4 feels much more sturdy, and the size just feels a bit better.
And of course... there's the Google experience, imo the N4 beats the S4 big time.
The bit better specs that the S4 offers, does in no way justify its double price tag over the N4, so there's your winner.

Whether you would be better of, waiting a bit and going for the N5 instead?
Well, I would advice you to just go for the N4, as possible hardware/software flaws are ironed out by now, since the N4 already exists for like 6 months... while you never know what to expect from the upcoming N5 during its first 3 months of daylight.

ChappersUK

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I came to the N4 from an HTC Sensation (and a brief flirtation with the HTC One) - and my advice would be that the N4 is an awesome handset with a few caveats.

If I was getting a handset on a new contract than I would be looking at either the HTC One (preference), Samsung Galaxy S4 or Sony Xperia Z as they offer more phone for a similar contact price per month (at least here in the UK). That was not an issue for my choice as I was buying a handset outright free from the constraints of a contract which moves the goalposts considerably as the N4 is almost half the price of the other three "handset only" cost - and it does arguably 95% or more of the others.

The limitations are memory, and an inferior camera. Coming from an HTC I also miss the integration into the contacts list that HTC manage so much better than any other phone manufacturer out there, but it makes up in some ways by running stock android which just works so well. Overall though I am very impressed with my N4 and don't really miss some of the extra features that I had on the HTC One (albeit only for a month before it died) - but I have saved myself over ?200 by opting for the N4. If I was tying myself down to a contract again I would have the HTC One.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
For me the 16GB model is more memory than I will ever use, my last phone had a 16GB card, and with lots of music and apps, I never even filled it 1/2 way. The camera for me is fine, but I am not a professional photographer. I take pictures, put them on Facebook, and my daughter who has thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment and lenses, says they look good, so that's enough for me. Prior to buying my N4, I asked this question on the Tech Guy Program. Here is the clip. Should I get the Google Nexus 4 or the Samsung Galaxy SIV? | The Tech Guy

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Partly it depends on how badly you need a phone and how often you upgrade. I hate buying something about to become superseded in an area where manufacturers are leapfrogging each other constantly and dramatically adjusting technology with every new release. And then depending on your habits, you're stuck with it for 2 years, too. Technology is changing dramatically in this field. It is not settled. That means lots and lots of upgrades constantly coming down the pike. OTOH, 4-5 months is a long way away. That's not an obsolete phone. Tough call.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Partly it depends on how badly you need a phone and how often you upgrade. I hate buying something about to become superseded in an area where manufacturers are leapfrogging each other constantly and dramatically adjusting technology with every new release. And then depending on your habits, you're stuck with it for 2 years, too. Technology is changing dramatically in this field. It is not settled. That means lots and lots of upgrades constantly coming down the pike. OTOH, 4-5 months is a long way away. That's not an obsolete phone. Tough call.

I don't think that the technology will be changing as much as it has in the past. Like PCs, we see a slower evolution of processors, amounts of ram, speeds etc, and the N4 already has a quad core processor and 2 Gigs of ram, and a decent display for $350. I doubt if the next version, which will probably be the Motorola X, will be that much different.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I know I'm late, but my wife and I are looking at switching to T-Mobile and picking up a couple Nexus 4's. 2 thoughts: 1. Is it WAY too late to the party, with the next iteration only 4-5 months away?
I would not expect the Nexus 5 to arrive until at LEAST November. It has not even been announced yet. So no, I would not wait on it. I would pull the trigger now.

2. If you had it to do over again, would you still pull the trigger on the N4's
Definitely. Despite it's flaws, there is no other phone I would rather have had, even in hindsight. The N4 is the fastest and smoothest and most hassle-free Android experience I have ever seen so far...and that includes the One and the S4. While many phones are technically better right now, the N4 is still comparable in most ways. It still has a fast CPU, and a very roomy 2 gigs of RAM. It has NFC and Wireless charging and a decent camera. It's Macro mode might even be better than current cameras (definitely better than the S3). It has the best 720p LCD display I have ever seen (bright enough to see in sunlight with sunglasses on, yet it still has very deep blacks).

The only reason to wait IMO is if you want to buy a Google Edition phone instead. And IMO, the Google Edition versions of the One and the S4 will be better in every way. But they will also be a lot more expensive, and no carriers are going to offer financing for them in the near future. By contrast, the N4 is both cheap and you can finance it.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Clarification: Both of us would be dropping the Verizon Galaxy Nexus for T-Mobile.

One of each, so you can easily tell them apart. Then swap bumpers and it will be like a TOS episode. :D :D

bele_and_lokai_star_trek-320x240.jpg

dtg755

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I would go for it. I just got my nexus 4 about a week ago and nothing about it seems old or lacking in any way. You simply cannot beat the Google experience.

Posted via Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that the technology will be changing as much as it has in the past..

There are signs of slowing down. But I was just playing with an S3. My S4 is SO much better. It hasn't been long. My HTC Sensation seems like it came out of 1999 compared to the S4. I only had the Sensation about 2 years; when I bought it, it was the best Android phone t-mobile offered. In terms of storage space and speed, it is simply obsolete these days.

It is inevitably slowing down, to be sure, but it is not quite a mature market akin to desktop PCs. Not yet.

mcs

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I just got one (black), though my contract with Sprint (I had a Galaxy SII) went through mid-October, so I am paying an EFT to get the phone. I am going to England in early October and wanted to get a GSM phone before then, and the EFT is the same as it will be then, and in the meantime I will be saving $30 a month on my phone bill, so it made sense to get it now. If I decide to upgrade in November, I will probably still keep the N4 as a backup phone.

I don't see myself getting anything but a Nexus, or at least one of the "Google Play Edition" phones (though not at those full prices), in the future. I am really loving the stock Android experience. The phone is fast and smooth and really beautiful and nice to use. Though I think if I had it to do over, I might have got the white phone. MAYBE. I love the black one. It's a hard choice.

Do they still have the free bumper promotion going on now? Because BONUS.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It?s not too late to get a Nexus 4. In fact, you will be rewarded for your patience. First, you won?t have to deal with the Play Store servers crashing when you place an order. Next, you?ll get the rubber nubs on the back, which lift up the Nexus 4 and give it some space for sound to come out of the speaker when you place the phone on a flat surface. Finally, you?ll have a choice of either white or black.

As for the other phones, the one that is most like the Nexus 4 is probably the Google Edition Sony Xperia Z. That has a 5-inch 1080p screen, 13.1 MP camera, dust/water resistance, and a micro SD card slot. Like the Nexus 4, the Xperia Z has on-screen buttons. Unlike the Nexus 4, you can?t buy the Google Edition Xperia Z right now because it?s not up for sale yet on the Play Store. Even when it does go on sale, it?ll probably be expensive. So, for now, the Nexus 4 is your best choice.

By the way, the Play Store is giving away free bumpers WHILE SUPPLIES LAST. So you should probably buy a Nexus 4 sooner rather than later.;)

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Do you have an unlimited data plan on Verizon? If you do, you can sell your plan for a lot of money or give it to another family member/relative. Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data plans anymore, so they?re very valuable.

If you?re upgrading from the Verizon Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile, there are 3 things you need to keep in mind.

First, you will lose Verizon?s vast network coverage and LTE. You will have to settle for T-Mobile?s smaller network area, and you won?t have LTE unless you flash the radio. Hopefully T-Mobile?s DC-HSDPA will be fast enough for you. (It probably will be sufficient for most tasks.)

Next, you will have less internal storage on the Nexus 4 (16 GB versus 32 GB). You should delete stuff on your Galaxy Nexus until you reach 16 GB or less, then see if you can live with the results. If you can, you?ll do fine with the Nexus 4.

Finally, you cannot swap the battery on the Nexus 4 like you can on the Galaxy Nexus. There is also no official extended battery (again, unlike the Galaxy Nexus). However, the sealed battery is slightly larger (2100 mAh versus 1850 mAh). If you disable Google Currents, don't install the Facebook app, and don?t max out the screen brightness all day, you should get a day?s worth or more of battery life.

(I should also mention that the headphone jack is on the top of the Nexus 4 instead of on the bottom, like on the Galaxy Nexus. You can rotate the screen into reverse portrait mode to magically put the headphone jack at the bottom if that sort of thing bothers you. On-screen buttons FTW!)

As for the color? you should get both white and black so you'll have a complete set. :)

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I prefer black. However white would have a high resale value if particularly you sell it to someone overseas. Maybe 1 of both but I guess it wouldn't be too hard to tell them apart, my girlfriend and myself both have black and we can tell the difference because I know where I place mine.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay