So a couple months ago I bought a special offer version of the Samsung Galaxy SII T989 for TMobile off Walmart. If you bought it from Walmart, it came with a $30 plan, which gave you 5GB of 4G data, 100 minutes a month, and unlimited texting. But now, I wanna get a new phone, particularly the Nexus 4, and I still haven't decided whether to buy it from TMobile or the Play Store. On Play, it's $350 with a free $20 bumper, at TMobile, for me, it'll be $410 with a free $60 wireless charger (I have to buy in full).
    I want to keep my $30 plan, and not upgrade to the $70 one (it's a great deal). Here's my question:
    could I just open up my Galaxy S2, take out the sim card in the back, and plop it into the Nexus 4 through it's sim tray? And would my service begin working at $30 a month with all the same stuff?
    I don't think I can keep the $30 plan on the Nexus 4, I think it was only meant for the Galaxy S2 TMobile users... And I really don't want to upgrade.
    Thanks guys.
    06-29-2013 02:31 PM
    You would need to cut down the sim card. Going off memory here but i think the GS2 used a regular sim, and the Nexus 4 uses micro sim. They make sim card cutters or maybe someone around you has one. But yes if you bought the nexus 4 off the play store its the same one TMO sells in stores. No differences.
    The $30 plan will work with the nexus 4, ive read on the forums about other Nexus 4 uses who have the same plan.
    Euan Tan likes this.
    06-29-2013 05:12 PM
    If you're brave enough, you can download a template, and cut the card yourself. I've found several YouTube videos that demonstrate how to do so.

It's what I did for my Galaxy S4.

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1
    06-29-2013 05:24 PM
    So a couple months ago I bought a special offer version of the Samsung Galaxy SII T989 for TMobile off Walmart. If you bought it from Walmart, it came with a $30 plan, which gave you 5GB of 4G data, 100 minutes a month, and unlimited texting. But now, I wanna get a new phone, particularly the Nexus 4, and I still haven't decided whether to buy it from TMobile or the Play Store. On Play, it's $350 with a free $20 bumper, at TMobile, for me, it'll be $410 with a free $60 wireless charger (I have to buy in full).
    I want to keep my $30 plan, and not upgrade to the $70 one (it's a great deal). Here's my question:
    could I just open up my Galaxy S2, take out the sim card in the back, and plop it into the Nexus 4 through it's sim tray? And would my service begin working at $30 a month with all the same stuff?
    I don't think I can keep the $30 plan on the Nexus 4, I think it was only meant for the Galaxy S2 TMobile users... And I really don't want to upgrade.
    Thanks guys.
    Yes, your Sim card will work for the Nexus 4. You have to cut the sim card to a micro sim though... this can be done by yourself.. or I believe T mobile can do it for you...(maybe for a small fee, i got mine for free) Make sure if you do, do it yourself, dont cut the gold part of the sim card!
    Tmobile plan is usually for people who don't have the money upfront... but with the special offers, you could go either way...
    There were some reports of the charging port not charging because the device slips off the alignment...
    06-29-2013 06:09 PM
    The Samsung Galaxy S II T989 uses a mini-SIM, which is bigger and thicker than a micro-SIM, the one that a Nexus 4 uses. If you decide to cut down your SIM, you will also need to make it thinner. If you don't, the cut-down SIM still won't fit. You can use a nail file or sand paper to sand off tiny layers off the SIM. (Only sand the plastic side, not the side with the gold contacts!) You don't need to overdo it. You'll probably just end up sanding off the T-Mobile logo, and then the SIM will fit.
    06-30-2013 12:11 AM
    The Samsung Galaxy S II T989 uses a mini-SIM, which is bigger and thicker than a micro-SIM, the one that a Nexus 4 uses. If you decide to cut down your SIM, you will also need to make it thinner. If you don't, the cut-down SIM still won't fit. You can use a nail file or sand paper to sand off tiny layers off the SIM. (Only sand the plastic side, not the side with the gold contacts!) You don't need to overdo it. You'll probably just end up sanding off the T-Mobile logo, and then the SIM will fit.
    Not from what I've experienced. They are almost all universal in thickness, except for maybe the nano.

06-30-2013 06:43 AM
    Not from what I've experienced. They are almost all universal in thickness, except for maybe the nano.

In a sense, I would agree with you. There are mini-SIM cards that have the same thickness as micro-SIM cards. In fact, you can get a SIM card with two perforations so that you can choose either a mini- or micro-SIM format. You just need to punch out the card along the correct perforation.

My response to the OP was merely related to the Samsung Galaxy S II T989 for T-Mobile sold at Walmart. I believe that one is sold with a mini-SIM that is thicker, so the OP will need to sand it down to fit the SIM tray for the Nexus 4.
    07-02-2013 04:36 PM
    In a sense, I would agree with you. There are mini-SIM cards that have the same thickness as micro-SIM cards. In fact, you can get a SIM card with two perforations so that you can choose either a mini- or micro-SIM format. You just need to punch out the card along the correct perforation.

My response to the OP was merely related to the Samsung Galaxy S II T989 for T-Mobile sold at Walmart. I believe that one is sold with a mini-SIM that is thicker, so the OP will need to sand it down to fit the SIM tray for the Nexus 4.
    My apologies, I read Galaxy S FOUR, instead of two.

My bad, I agree with you. A buddy of mine had that phone.

07-03-2013 05:54 AM
    My apologies, I read Galaxy S FOUR, instead of two.

My bad, I agree with you. A buddy of mine had that phone.

No problem! I can see where you would be confused because the same thing happens to me all the time. There are SO many Samsung phones that it's hard to keep them straight!
    07-05-2013 08:57 PM