$349 Nexus 4 or $499 iPhone 5?

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I currently have an LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile, paying $25 a month on a grandfathered plan. The phone is rooted and I have enjoyed running custom ROMs on it, but it is becoming increasingly unreliable. I have wifi at home and where I do most of my work, and I don't use many talk minutes per month, so all I need/want is the cheapest monthly charge I can get.

I have thought about getting an N4 and getting the $30/month T-Mobile plan. However, Virgin has just started selling no-contract iPhone 5s, starting at $549 for the 16GB model. Radio Shack will give me $50 off that for trading in an old phone. I would be bumped to a $35/month plan, but VM discounts $5/month on iPhones if you auto-pay with a credit card. So I'm looking at $499 up front and $30/month for a 16 GB iPhone 5 vs $349 (+ shipping) up front and $30/month for a 16GB N4. I have never been much of an Apple guy, and have not previously owned an iPhone.

I would be interested in hearing compare-and-contrast comments from people who have experience with both these devices. Please, no non-specific "iPhones suck ! Android rulez!" fanboi type comments.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have owned both and currently use the Nexus 4. As far as general performance you aren't going to find much difference in my opinion. Actually I may catch some flack for saying this but they remind me of each other. Both operating systems are very smooth. Apps load fast, WiFi is fast, and both browsers perform well. The nexus hits the sweet spot for me in size. I can operate the device easily one handed albeit not quite as easily as the iPhone but no big deal. I miss the iPod badly and have yet to find its android equal. If your on WiFi all day the LTE shouldn't matter but my nexus is fine on hspa. All in all I think both devices are exceptional and you can't go wrong with either. Sorry I couldn't really get more detailed but that's the thing, to me you either get the best of apple or the best of android, both being great choices and reliable devices.

Posted via Android Central App

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I currently have an LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile, paying $25 a month on a grandfathered plan. The phone is rooted and I have enjoyed running custom ROMs on it, but it is becoming increasingly unreliable. I have wifi at home and where I do most of my work, and I don't use many talk minutes per month, so all I need/want is the cheapest monthly charge I can get.

I have thought about getting an N4 and getting the $30/month T-Mobile plan. However, Virgin has just started selling no-contract iPhone 5s, starting at $549 for the 16GB model. Radio Shack will give me $50 off that for trading in an old phone. I would be bumped to a $35/month plan, but VM discounts $5/month on iPhones if you auto-pay with a credit card. So I'm looking at $499 up front and $30/month for a 16 GB iPhone 5 vs $349 (+ shipping) up front and $30/month for a 16GB N4. I have never been much of an Apple guy, and have not previously owned an iPhone.

I would be interested in hearing compare-and-contrast comments from people who have experience with both these devices. Please, no non-specific "iPhones suck ! Android rulez!" fanboi type comments.

I would go with the N4. If you are used to android its a great device and you would save 150 bucks.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I currently use both a Nexus 4 and an iPhone 5. It sounds like for you that after the $150 difference in up front cost it's pretty much a toss up. Have you considered whether Virgin Mobile or T-Mobile has better service in your area? That's probably the most important thing.

Assuming that service for either carrier isn't an issue, look at the differences in devices. The Nexus 4 can be taken to any GSM carrier if you need to switch for some reason, but the iPhone 5 will only work on Virgin Mobile. The iPhone 5 is arguably a bit higher quality, but in my experience I wouldn't turn my hand for the difference as far as speed, smoothness, stability, lag (or lack of it), or anything else that has to do with performance. The Nexus 4 has a bigger screen, and small screen size is one of my big issues with iPhone.

I'd say the jtb79 is spot on with his advice. You can't go wrong with either device. If you like the Google ecosystem I'd advise going with the Nexus 4, especially if you have any significant investment in it. Otherwise, you're good either way.

neanderth4l

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I too had the Optimus V on Virgins $25 a month plan, but I dropped them once the phone started getting unreliable. Their customer service is horrendous.

I went with the N4 and Solavei. I don't talk much, but I definitely want unlimited data. I loved paying $25 a month, but now for $49, I get US based customer service and people who try to resolve your problem, not people who stick to their script.

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I really don't like the iPhone, but it's up to you. Anyway, if you want an iPhone, wait for another couple months and get the iPhone 5s/6. The 5 will be cheaper, and the 5s will probably be better. I would go with the N4. But I'm on Verizon

Sent from my Verizon S3

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5 on Verizon and a Nexus 4 on AT&T. I like them both a lot for different reasons. if you are not tied to the iPhone in any way I say get the Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 doesn't get LTE of course and I don't know if Virgin Mobile has AT&T anyway but don't they sue Sprints network? With the Nexus 4 you could either do an AT&T plan, including a Go Plan, or T-Mobile or other MVNO's and I would do either of those instead of Sprint.
Buy your Nexus 4 somewhere with good support. They have had issues and although I think the latest versions have improved nobody beats Apple for service and support.

I always recommend the Nexus 4 to people coming from an iPhone because stock Android has a simple mostly lag free experience similar to the iPhone without all the manufacture add ons which I mostly don't want.

I have owned both and currently use the Nexus 4. As far as general performance you aren't going to find much difference in my opinion. Actually I may catch some flack for saying this but they remind me of each other. Both operating systems are very smooth. Apps load fast, WiFi is fast, and both browsers perform well. The nexus hits the sweet spot for me in size. I can operate the device easily one handed albeit not quite as easily as the iPhone but no big deal. I miss the iPod badly and have yet to find its android equal. If your on WiFi all day the LTE shouldn't matter but my nexus is fine on hspa. All in all I think both devices are exceptional and you can't go wrong with either. Sorry I couldn't really get more detailed but that's the thing, to me you either get the best of apple or the best of android, both being great choices and reliable devices.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 will work on many carriers not just Virgin Mobile.

The Nexus 4 can be taken to any GSM carrier if you need to switch for some reason, but the iPhone 5 will only work on Virgin Mobile. The iPhone 5 is arguably a bit higher quality, but in my experience I wouldn't turn my hand for the difference as far as speed, smoothness, stability, lag (or lack of it), or anything else that has to do with performance. The Nexus 4 has a bigger screen, and small screen size is one of my big issues with iPhone.

I'd say the jtb79 is spot on with his advice. You can't go wrong with either device. If you like the Google ecosystem I'd advise going with the Nexus 4, especially if you have any significant investment in it. Otherwise, you're good either way.

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I just want to say that, since you're on Virgin mobile, then I assume you're in Canada.

Koodo actually just recently dropped the price of the N4 last week to $300 from $350. This is for the 16gb model in black. Just thought I'd let you know so that you can take all things into consideration :).

That being said though, choose the device that's right for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781