I'm thinking about canceling my phones cellular service and using my N4 with wifi only. Will it work if no simm card is installed. I assume that this would turn my phone into something like a wifi laptop. Going online to check my email, etc. Is there testing via Web? Other than push notifications what would I be missing, I rarely make phone calls and can continue to use phone at home. I need pros and cons.
    07-07-2013 07:37 AM
    Yes it will work without a active sim you will still get evey single option available except for calls and text, but you can download on the app store something like goole voice wich will give tou a free number you can make and recieve calls and texts on so now you have everything but it will only work in wifi area that being one huge downside if you canget past that your good
    07-07-2013 07:41 AM
    I'm not sure Google Voice will be able to make calls on wifi. I believe you'll need something like Groove IP or similar. You can certainly text with Google Voice.
    07-07-2013 08:00 AM
    You will get Push Notification. wonder why you thought you wont get it
    07-07-2013 12:38 PM
    I thought it worked through the cellular only.
    07-07-2013 02:31 PM
    mainly I'm either at work Wi-Fi or at home Wi-Fi, yeah I know, boring. so, through Google voice I still get phone calls or make phone calls and text if within good Wi-Fi! excellent!
    07-07-2013 02:34 PM
    I'll set up a Google voice account, pull my simm card to test it's features out.
    07-07-2013 02:37 PM
    I have quite a few devices floating around, and only a handful of cellular lines to put them on. As a result, at any given time most of them are operating as WiFi-only devices. You should be able to use almost everything you need without issue, except for traditional cellular calls and SMS/MMS. For those, as pointed out above, one of the common solutions is to use Google Voice which uses data services for text messages and voicemails alongside an SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) client such as SIPdroid (here's the Google Code site for it) or GrooVe IP.

My primary personal device uses a $70/month pre-paid T-Mobile line, which I frequently don't pay and use my device as a WiFi-only device for that month. It all depends on where I'll be and what I'll be doing, but I've had nothing but good experiences so far.

Oh, and the battery life is phenomenal.

Edit: a word of warning: the Google Voice app isn't exactly the best thing out there.
    07-07-2013 02:40 PM
    It's never been an issue for me, but GV doesn't support MMS (only SMS).
    07-07-2013 03:14 PM
    I have y5 and sipdroid installed, i think the pbxes set up i did is faulty. i did have google stop a sign in, not sure if it was sipdroid or pbxes. but i clicked on allow in the gmail account notification.
    any help here on proper pbxes set up for sipdroid?

I have quite a few devices floating around, and only a handful of cellular lines to put them on. As a result, at any given time most of them are operating as WiFi-only devices. You should be able to use almost everything you need without issue, except for traditional cellular calls and SMS/MMS. For those, as pointed out above, one of the common solutions is to use Google Voice which uses data services for text messages and voicemails alongside an SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) client such as SIPdroid (here's the Google Code site for it) or GrooVe IP.

My primary personal device uses a $70/month pre-paid T-Mobile line, which I frequently don't pay and use my device as a WiFi-only device for that month. It all depends on where I'll be and what I'll be doing, but I've had nothing but good experiences so far.

Oh, and the battery life is phenomenal.

Edit: a word of warning: the Google Voice app isn't exactly the best thing out there.
    07-07-2013 08:02 PM