How to restrict mobile data?

hippolyta

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
So here's my situation. I'm paying for a basic talk and text plan, which includes picture messaging, and have pay-as-you-go mobile data. My intent is to use the wifi at all times, and not touch the data as it's super expensive. So I went ahead and turned off the mobile data on my phone. The problem is that I've been told I can only use MMS when data is active. My carrier has reassured me that I will not be charged for MMS-ing, but can incur extra charges if any apps were to use data while it's active on my phone.

So my question then is how to tell every function on my phone to use WiFi instead of mobile data, so I don't run up extra $$ on my phone bill?

I can see the option to "restrict mobile data", does anyone know if this will accomplish what I'm trying to do? Will it mess with the functionality of my apps?

I did some research and also saw some suggestions to install a firewall (my phone isn't rooted) so that I can control how each app uses data.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance! :)

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
So my question then is how to tell every function on my phone to use WiFi instead of mobile data, so I don't run up extra $$ on my phone bill?
You?ve already achieved this by turning off mobile data and turning on Wi-Fi to connect to an access point.
I can see the option to "restrict mobile data", does anyone know if this will accomplish what I'm trying to do? Will it mess with the functionality of my apps?
Not sure what you mean by ?restrict mobile data? since I can?t find this option. I only see ?set mobile data limit? and ?restrict background data?, so I?ll assume you meant either one of those? Either one of those won?t really help since you want to completely not use data as oppose to limiting your use of data.
I did some research and also saw some suggestions to install a firewall (my phone isn't rooted) so that I can control how each app uses data.
If I understand correctly, here?s what you want:
- No mobile data usage.
- Still be able to use MMS.

It?s possible to use a firewall app to control exactly which app uses data. I?ve not tried this out but in theory, you should be able to use such an app to only allow your Messaging app to use data to allow for MMS.

But my suggestion is this:
Keep your mobile data turned off and Wi-Fi on.
Forget firewall apps.
Don?t use MMS. It?s slow and clumsy. There are file and size restrictions. Just use any instant messaging app available on Google Play. E.g., Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, Line, etc.

devchaube15

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay well go to settings-apps-runningservices then kill everything else before you send the MMS, send the MMS and those processes should start again when you start the app up. If you root your phone there are ways to do this, only letting certain apps use data. Another point is when you have WiFi turned on and data your phone will just use WiFi instead of data so if you have WiFi on you can turn on your data and it will.just use the data for MMS and WiFi for your apps.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
If I understand your issue, you'd like to have MMS that needs to access carrier data, but don't want any other apps to use data.

You can configure an app like JuiceDefender Ultimate or Tasker to do that. There's a setting in Juice Defender that allows you to configure your app to not have data connectivity.

The other posters are correct when they say that your phone will default to WiFi, but if you are out of the WiFi zone, it'll go back to your cellular data. Take care with that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12