Messaging app draining battery on my Nexus 4

Saurav Jain

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I bought a Nexus 4 three months back and for the past month or so my battery is getting drained quickly(full charge holds for about 16-19 hours) and taking a lot more time to charge (approx. 3-3.5 hours).
The messaging app seems to be consuming a lot of battery(around 20%).I have tried force stop and disabling it but they don't seem to make a difference.
Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks.

ba11sy

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I bought a Nexus 4 three months back and for the past month or so my battery is getting drained quickly(full charge holds for about 16-19 hours) and taking a lot more time to charge (approx. 3-3.5 hours).
The messaging app seems to be consuming a lot of battery(around 20%).I have tried force stop and disabling it but they don't seem to make a difference.

Thanks.

How often are you using your phone throughout the day? On my Nexus 4 i get about 18+hrs easy with around 3hrs of screen on time and thats pretty good compared to most phones

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

How often do you text during the day?
Sending an MMS uses more battery than SMS.

I use Chomp and saw no difference in battery usage when I installed it. .
I only send 20 - 30 texts a day and the message app is a small blip in battery usage.

Sent from my M470BSA

Saurav Jain

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I rarely use the native messaging app.I use whatsapp mostly which hardly affects my battery but the messaging app seems to drain it atleast by 20%.
Also,Charging seems to take more time than usual.(3-3.5 Hours).
Is this normal?Or should i go for factory reset?

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I am confused. You say you tried disabling it and it made no difference, it won't use battery if it is disabled so I am not sure what you mean here. Also 20% of what, if you mostly use your phone for messaging then of course it will be a top consumer. 16-19 hours is not bad, and if you are charging from empty or very close to it should take a couple of hours to charge. Are you charging with the power on... Will charge faster when powered on as a rule, but also if you have thingsthings running while charging, like daydream or other apps it will take longer.

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Why only some phones affected by this?
Mine after 4.3 update shows no draining by messaging app at all, also, OS drains battery less than before. Standby time is better.

Lclm18choir

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. I read this thread, and it really helped: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=58149.

Basically, this fixed the issue for me: disconnect your device from WiFi, then enable Mobile data and also enable "Data roaming", then check the APNs to see that they are correct (mobile data + mms), turn off your device and turn it on again. You will get a weird error message in the messaging app. Then, power the device off and on again. It should work then. Of course, you can then turn the data roaming and mobile data off and turn the wi-fi back on. Let me know if this works for you.