new smart phone user

Patmike

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
i just got a samsung galaxy nexus and have been reading some things on here trying to learn how to operate this thing. my first complaint is that the battery doen't seem to want to charge. i have it plugged into ac power and the battery icon sometimes shows it charging and sometimes not. i've had it plugged in all night and it shows 38% and it seems to be dropping. second there are apps that seem to start themselves and are running all the time until i kill them with the app killer and i'll check 5 mins later and they're all back on again. does this thing just work? is all this tweeking i've been reading about neccesary to make this thing function normally? i don't want to commit myself to a data plan if this phone is not going to work for me.
thanks
Pat

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
i just got a samsung galaxy nexus and have been reading some things on here trying to learn how to operate this thing. my first complaint is that the battery doen't seem to want to charge. i have it plugged into ac power and the battery icon sometimes shows it charging and sometimes not. i've had it plugged in all night and it shows 38% and it seems to be dropping. second there are apps that seem to start themselves and are running all the time until i kill them with the app killer and i'll check 5 mins later and they're all back on again. does this thing just work? is all this tweeking i've been reading about neccesary to make this thing function normally? i don't want to commit myself to a data plan if this phone is not going to work for me.
thanks
Pat

Hey and welcome to the community! As far as charging on the Galaxy Nexus some people have had problems with the usb ports on those devices. If you bought it new I'd get a replacement.
Don't worry about apps running in the background. Android manages your ram better than you can. The os will kill apps it doesn't need running when you open new ones. Task killers will only make the situation worse.
If you have any other questions or need don't hesitate to ask. I'm happy to help!

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

devchaube15

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Alright Mike, any smartphone will always have apps running in the background, these are due to the apps permissions, like for instance a CNN App with a breaking news or live news feature will always need a data connection and a location connection, you can turn these off in the settings which will limit the apps ability to use this function, it will ask you to turn these on when you enter the app but as soon as you're done you can turn them off. Using just WiFi and Mobile Network Location should be enough for most apps, and it uses much less battery power than using the phones GPS satellites. The issue you described about your battery charging indicator could be a hardware or software issue, I have a LG Nexus 4, which is the next step up from your Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I had the same problem with my old Nexus 4 until it got to the point where I was rebooting like 5 times a day to get the correct battery reading. I just sent it back to Google and I recieved a new device. You can return yours to wherever you bought it from and say it is defective. Before returning though, try doing a complete factory data reset, then check for a new system update. You should have Android 4.2.2 since it is a Nexus device. You can check this by going to settings>about phone> then the last 2 or 3 options should show which version of Android you are running, there should also be an option for system update checking. If you have the most recent version of Android (4.2.2) then it is most likely a software or hardware issue with that particular phone, (they happen sometimes), just return it and get a new device since it is defective. All of this "tweaking" you've been reading about is not necessary, people do it as a hobby and to make their phone "theirs", you're phone is just an unlucky one out of the bunch and might need to be replaced, but when you do have a good working one then it will be as easy as 1, 2, 3. Committing to a data plan is not necessary, just turn off your data connection to your carriers network and no app will be able to use it until you get onto WiFi, but remember for Google Maps, or any maps app you MUST have data for it to work, so if you don't need maps, and already have a GPS or something of sorts you'll be fine with turning data off in the settings and just connecting to WiFi.

Patmike

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
thanks guys. i got the phone used. a friend of my sons upgraded so theres no returning it. i read about the usb problem. it seems if i push in on the plug it charges. would one of those mat chargers be a quick work around?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Definitely try a different charging cable. I know the one that came with my Nexus 4 is rather finicky, but another one I had lying around the house works just fine. I think the Galaxy Nexus has a removable battery cover. If so, you can look into getting a replacement that will allow you to charge via a charging mat. I would try posting in the Galaxy Nexus forum and see if anyone has tried that.

On another note, don't let one bum phone get in the way of a good smartphone experience. They are so amazingly useful I can't imagine leaving the house without mine. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34