Battery Life on Nexus 4 after 4.3 update?

geekmaster

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So how real is project roadrunner in reality? Does it live up to the hype? I am addicted to my Nexus 4 and if there is one complaint I have more than anything, it is the battery life. I will post updates on any improvements but I also want to hear from everyone else what they are seeing.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Very good improvement. Sorry I didn't see this thread before posting mine.

Posted via Android Central App on a magical nexus 4 which is powered by secret forest creatures.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I usually get through the day, I just wanted to see how long I could get my screen on for and really didn't want to wait ages seeing the Max time I could get on it. I am wanting to see what it will be like on a busy day at uni when I won't be on my phone as much.

Oops posted this in the wrong thread

Submitted from The Android Central App & a Nexus 4

Last edited:

anexiole

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
well, i read on Google Is Updating Android, And Now Its Phones Are Getting All-Day Battery Life | Business Insider Australia that for a person who used to get 5-6 hours on his nexus 4, the android 4.3 rom does give play time for a heavy user for 25 hours.

I'm a fairly heavy user and yes, 5-6 hours and my nexus 4 needs a charge. My situation matches the writer's hence I loaded android 4.3 into my nexus 4. It has been two days and I'm praying hard that it's just that android 4.3 has not calibrated itself just yet causing battery consumption to not differ from android 4.2.2. If in the next few days things do not improve, well, i guess the whole idea of good battery life's just too good to be true.

PcNy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
well, i read on Google Is Updating Android, And Now Its Phones Are Getting All-Day Battery Life | Business Insider Australia that for a person who used to get 5-6 hours on his nexus 4, the android 4.3 rom does give play time for a heavy user for 25 hours.

I'm a fairly heavy user and yes, 5-6 hours and my nexus 4 needs a charge. My situation matches the writer's hence I loaded android 4.3 into my nexus 4. It has been two days and I'm praying hard that it's just that android 4.3 has not calibrated itself just yet causing battery consumption to not differ from android 4.2.2. If in the next few days things do not improve, well, i guess the whole idea of good battery life's just too good to be true.

25 Hours for heavy usage sounds impossible to me

Skooz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
thinking the same thing, 25 hours of HEAVY use sounds ridiculously fake.

I mean I have amazing standby time, if i dont use anything i can last almost 3 days without a charge, however light use say just web browsing on data for a couple hours and i will need a charge.....

roughly 4-5 hours in fact, i dont know how people can even last 6 hours no matter what you do......6 hours screen on time per charge? is my screen too bright or are you guys torturing yourself with super low brightness? I dont know.....

Anyways, back to topic. I personally think the battery is gonna improve, but 4-6 times? No freaking way.

Calebz

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My battery life went to hell after the 4.3 update. I only have a small handful of apps outside of the standard Gapps (about 5 apps - all of which were present pre-update). From a full charge, I lose 30+% overnight after the update. I even did a factory reset of the phone. No change. Flashed back to 4.2.2 using a nandroid backup I had. I hope things go back to normal.

Vincas Taduolis

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Let us know, because i have same situation. My battery life burns like hell in sleeping mode. Today i changed my phone at 8am, now 1pm... already 54% left... used wifi for 5 mins, thats all, almoust half gone. And the other fact... in sleeping mode my phone have ~38C temperature. Evey programs killed, no internet, wifi... clean... this is joke.

BTW, settings->batery : SMS uses 87% of my battery.. wtf ?

My battery life went to hell after the 4.3 update. I only have a small handful of apps outside of the standard Gapps (about 5 apps - all of which were present pre-update). From a full charge, I lose 30+% overnight after the update. I even did a factory reset of the phone. No change. Flashed back to 4.2.2 using a nandroid backup I had. I hope things go back to normal.

Calebz

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Not that I am enjoying your dismay, but I am glad I'm not the only one.

I am back on 4.2.2, but with the new kernel. My understanding was that kernel config was where the new battery savings came from. So maybe this will be the way to go for a while. I will update tomorrow after the phone has some time to sit idle overnight.

geekmaster

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
This thread will probably be closed soon because i did not notice the buried forum on the same exact topic. Calebz I am in the same exact boat as you. Taking my phone off the charge in the morning i see my phone drop from 100% to 97% in less than 2 seconds. Coming back from the shower after playing 2 minuets of gyro i am at 90%, currently typing this comment 88%

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nick Hanley

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 4 owner. Before 4.3, I would need to charge every night, and if I forgot (or if the phone slipped off the charger, which it does sometimes) I would be left with about 5% battery in the morning. After the 4.3 update, I didn't charge overnight, and still had 50% battery the next morning! The standby time improvement is truly awesome! Not much change to overall screen time, but I am very pleased with the increase in standby, I gauge it at roughly 300% improvement for me.

:)

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 4 owner. Before 4.3, I would need to charge every night, and if I forgot (or if the phone slipped off the charger, which it does sometimes) I would be left with about 5% battery in the morning. After the 4.3 update, I didn't charge overnight, and still had 50% battery the next morning! The standby time improvement is truly awesome! Not much change to overall screen time, but I am very pleased with the increase in standby, I gauge it at roughly 300% improvement for me.

:)

This is what I've read as well. Improvement to standby time but not screen time. I didn't really think there was anything they could do about screen time anyway.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
This is what I've read as well. Improvement to standby time but not screen time. I didn't really think there was anything they could do about screen time anyway.

If Franco can with his custom kernel why can't Google do it too I wonder? or am I too naive? I was rooted and using Franco's kernel and returned to stock last night, got the OTA. Only thing I can say is that I'm really not impressed with battery life so far compared with what I had. Nine hours and I have only 30% left, with two and a half hours of on screen time. I will give it a few days, otherwise as soon as root is stable I go back to franco's kernel. At least then I didn't have to worry about my phone dying before the end of the day.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
If Franco can with his custom kernel why can't Google do it too I wonder? or am I too naive? I was rooted and using Franco's kernel and returned to stock last night, got the OTA. Only thing I can say is that I'm really not impressed with battery life so far compared with what I had. Nine hours and I have only 30% left, with two and a half hours of on screen time. I will give it a few days, otherwise as soon as root is stable I go back to franco's kernel. At least then I didn't have to worry about my phone dying before the end of the day.

FK isn't completely free of it's own issues though, although he is pretty good at support. From what I'm seeing reported so far, the 4.3 improvement is as good as anything FK is giving out. There's also the matter of FK not doing people any good who've quit unlocking/rooting their phones or never did it at all