Nexus 4 stuck after 4.3 update fail - even after hard reset

CanvasOfLight

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Ok, I tried to read so many posts since yesterday, can't find a solution. This is my last resort (and first post) before sending my phone back.

I have a Nexus 4, 2 months old, unrooted and nothing done to it.
Yesterday evening, 4.3 is pushed to my phone. I download it (OTA), and at the end of the installation, I get an error screen and it restarts installing. It loops like that 3-4 times (installing-error-installing-...) then it turns off.
I switch it back on, and it just doesn't go past the X logo (yes I left it a long time to see). After a while, I just decide to do a hard reset. My data is on the cloud anyway.

I go to recovery mode, wipe to factory status, reboot.... nope, still stuck on X logo.

Now my main problem here, is that I saw a few suggestions on the forum.. BUT, I don't have USB debugging mode enabled since I've never rooted/done anything to my phone, and now I can't enable it since it won't go past the logo. When I connect my phone to the PC (win 7), I don't see it appear in my connected devices.

Any final suggestions? Is it hopeless?
Thanks guys.

Lumajo

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same exact problem. I woke up this morning with the update having been pushed and downloaded and ready to install. But, when I installed it, I got the error message at the end, and now it's stuck endlessly looping the "Installing system update..." screen. The progress bar finishes rather quickly each time, then there are a few seconds of blank screen, then the update screen reappears.

At this point I haven't tried to manually turn off my phone yet... I'll probably try that soon. So, sorry that I couldn't provide an answer to your original post at all, but I thought I should report that I have pretty much the same problem. I'm a little surprised there aren't more people having this problem though...

marathone

May 28, 2013
Visit site
To the OP. You don't need to be rooted to get the developer USB settings. Go into system settings/about phone/build number - press build number 7x to enable developer options. Then back one page to the now visible developer options and enable USB debugging mode.

Do some reading, at XDA-Developers website. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Adir Iakya

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same problem :( upgraded to 4.3 and the device is stuck on the boot logo (X). i gave it a shut for overnight run (it got very warm) and nothing...
i tried to hard reset via recovery deleted whatever i can. it's not a rooted device so i can't really do anything..

erezasas

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
So I had the same issue and find the probelm:
During upgrade to 4.3 the baseband/radio file is been updated as well BUT due to some reason (I think it is based on the location in the world - Carrier) the new baseband is stuck.
What you must do is to download the old (4.2.2) baseband to the phone.This will fix the issue - Than the phone will cpontinue to boot normally....
You should use Nexus Root Toolkit to do so.Under Advanced Utilites you will find the option to load Radio/BaseBand only.

wnolive

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. When upgrading to 4.3 my phone got stuck at the x logo. I tried the restart which is pressing the on/off button for more than 8 seconds. It served the function of taking away the battery for other phones. It got fixed and I am using 4.3 now!

marathone

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, but as I said, I CAN'T access my settings because I am stuck at the logo screen.

I did my homework and had a lot to read hehe ;)

No you haven't done your homework. Look for CF Auto Root for your device and go from there. You really need to do some research on XDA.
I was explaining an error on your part re USB debugging earlier.

marathone

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So I had the same issue and find the probelm:
During upgrade to 4.3 the baseband/radio file is been updated as well BUT due to some reason (I think it is based on the location in the world - Carrier) the new baseband is stuck.
What you must do is to download the old (4.2.2) baseband to the phone.This will fix the issue - Than the phone will cpontinue to boot normally....
You should use Nexus Root Toolkit to do so.Under Advanced Utilites you will find the option to load Radio/BaseBand only.

Hardly think this is good advice considering some of the skillsets with some of the people involved.

bygracethrufaith

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
So are we any closer to fixing our phones yet. tried the sideload ADB but cannot see the device in the recovery mode, remember cannot turn the phone on so cannot do USB Debugging enabled/disable.

CanvasOfLight

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
@marathone:
I mentioned that my phone is not being recognized by my computer.
I tried to use Odin, I also tried every driver possible, uninstalled, reinstalled and it just doesn't appear in my connected devices.

djmalott

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I am having same problem. I was in the process of updating to 4.3. When the phone automatically restarted it froze at the x screen. I did a hard reset and it still freezes at the x screen. Hope we get an answer soon!

marathone

May 28, 2013
Visit site
@marathone:
I mentioned that my phone is not being recognized by my computer.
I tried to use Odin, I also tried every driver possible, uninstalled, reinstalled and it just doesn't appear in my connected devices.
Is this a Samsung? Odin afaik doesn't work on NeXus devices.

Methinks you folks having these issues will have to gain root in order to fix/install your backups. You did backup right?

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
While I'm waiting for my original 4.3 notification, I saw this.

So, is this usb debugging mode something I should enable prior to accepting the update, just in case? I'm guessing that is somewhere in the settings. Are there any downsides to enabling this ? I'm not planning on rooting anytime soon.

bygracethrufaith

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
While I'm waiting for my original 4.3 notification, I saw this.

So, is this usb debugging mode something I should enable prior to accepting the update, just in case? I'm guessing that is somewhere in the settings. Are there any downsides to enabling this ? I'm not planning on rooting anytime soon.

yes do yourself a favour and enable USB debugging, if your phone won't start up in the usual manner you are gonna need to USB your way in. no downside.

Remyrflt

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I had same issue with nexus 4, and just solved it with blw steps. My phone was in debug mode before using ota to load the 4.3 version, BTW.

Pwr off the phone,
Press pwr button + volume down button to enter fastboot mode
When u see Start and a lying down android logo on screen, use volume button to select from Start to recovery mode, then press pwr button (meaning selection)
Then the phone should reboot and re-enter the system updating page, and this time it successfully upgrades the system with 4.3 and gets into the desktop. All data is still there.

Hope it helps.

Remyrflt

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
There is a new issue after upgrading to 4.3 that the home button is not working at all (Other android functions seem fine as of now).

Don't know if someone is seeing the same issue.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Those having this issue and not wanting to send the phone in... have you tried or considered trying installing the 4.3 factory image? The guide I wrote will walk you through it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...3923-guide-nexus-4-factory-image-restore.html

It will fully wipe the device, but OP indicated this wasn't a big deal and he wiped it anyway, so it could be worth a shot. You'd just have to unlock the bootloader to flash the factory image, after which you could re-lock it just as easily.

Just throwing it in as an option.

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I hope this will help some folks with this 4.3 update. All I did was to click on the upgrade in notifications (on the phone). I set it down and it upgraded all that was required and works fine. No problems whatsoever. It did all the rebooting on it's own. Hope yours is that easy.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance