Nexus 4 stuck after 4.3 update fail - even after hard reset

Huteri Manza

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Had the same today, finally fixed it after some hours and even got to keep all my data:

• Go to bootloader (power+vol down)
  • Install TWRP from the pc through USB (with fastboot from SDK)
  • Enter Recovery (twrp). From here you can recover all your data even if encrypted (mount /sdcard then pull files with Nexus Toolkit)
  • Download 4.3 mako image from google, extract to sdk/platform-tools
  • Flash bootloader img, then reboot back to bootloader (bootloader-mako-makoz20i)
  • Flash radio img, then reboot back to bootloader (radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.84)
  • Manually flash all the other img files from the zip, 1 by 1, EXCEPT FOR DATA, this way you get to keep all your stuff, everything will be the same after the update, installed apps, setup etc
  • That means: boot, system. "writing system" could take a while, if it didn't change after a couple hours just ctrl+C to cancel, I had this.. and the update was properly written anyway)

It really works, I'm never so happy and spend my time to reply this, , thanks!

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I can see the list of files and folders. Even have sdcard listed there.

Then nexus toolkit should work to pull the files; if it doesn't, maybe there's somethign wrong with the usb connection or driver. try "fastboot reboot-bootloader" while you are at the bootloader, see if it works (to check the connection with pc is fine)

AsidXxx

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

AsidXxx

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Then nexus toolkit should work to pull the files; if it doesn't, maybe there's somethign wrong with the usb connection or driver. try "fastboot reboot-bootloader" while you are at the bootloader, see if it works (to check the connection with pc is fine)

While I was flashing the imgs, the above reboot-bootloader command worked fine.

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Did the system img complete?

Try wiping delvik cache as well from TWRP, then reflashing boot and radio etc, just don't ever flash the data part. Hit also "fix permissions" in TRWP.

AsidXxx

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Yep, the system img completed.

I'll try out the other steps too once back home. So this time I'll -
1. fastboot the TWRP img file, and boot into recovery bringing up TWRP screen
2. wipe dalvik cache
3. fix permissions
4. reboot into bootloader screen
5. fastboot flash all the img files in sequence except for userdata
6. reboot from the fastboot screen

Can you confirm the above? Also, PMed you.

Last edited:

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Yep, the system img completed.

I'll try out the other steps too once back home. So this time I'll -
1. fastboot the TWRP img file, and boot into recovery bringing up TWRP screen
2. wipe dalvik cache
3. fix permissions
4. reboot into bootloader screen
5. fastboot flash all the img files in sequence except for userdata
6. reboot from the fastboot screen

Can you confirm the above? Also, PMed you.

Yup sounds good. I don't remember 100% the order I did those things on, but it's pretty much that. First I transferred all my files under /sdcard to my pc, then proceeded to do the flashing, first the long files (booloader, reboot to loader, radio, reboot to loader), then next was system.. I think (dont think the order matters much), which actually never completed, it said "writing system" forever, after some hours i cancelled and it seemed to have worked anyway, then flashed the other img files except for data, then wiped cache dalvik etc.. I think for cache TWRP said it deleted and re-created the cache mount/partition; after that I rebooted and was greeted by the encryption dialog asking for my pass, so all was good from then on, it booted to 4.3 with all my stuff.

Next steps was removing/re-adding my google account cause I couldn't download anything from the store (backed up contacts first cause removing the account removes them), then restored them. After that I had to reinstall the SuperSU to regain root access needed for Droidwall (firewall), and everything else was fine, all apps installed and working and the icons arranged the same way etc, nothing was gone :)

Last edited:

AsidXxx

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
From within TWRP, tried to wipe Dalvik cache but got a failed message. Wipe cache and fixed permissions. Then rebooted into bootloader screen and ran the following commands (attached).

Booted into phone. See the X. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Fastboot.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 10

vanillalimecoke

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I still have the problem that the "Android ADB interface" would not show in my Device Manager even after I got to the bootloader screen. Is it because my phone wasn't USB debugging enabled before it became a brick? If so, do you know any way to enable the developer mode/USB debug mode without login to the cell phone OS?

That will appear once you get to the bootloader screen.

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I still have the problem that the "Android ADB interface" would not show in my Device Manager even after I got to the bootloader screen. Is it because my phone wasn't USB debugging enabled before it became a brick? If so, do you know any way to enable the developer mode/USB debug mode without login to the cell phone OS?

No, that doesn't matter; did you download the Android SDK+Google USB driver?

AsidXxx

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
So finally went ahead and flash 4.3 including userdata, because whatever I did I wasnt able to get past the X screen. After flashing userdata img, booted into the phone but now I see that the storage space shown is too less, like I have about only 5GB free. What do I do now?

Evil Betty

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So finally went ahead and flash 4.3 including userdata, because whatever I did I wasnt able to get past the X screen. After flashing userdata img, booted into the phone but now I see that the storage space shown is too less, like I have about only 5GB free. What do I do now?

That's the problem I'm having all of a sudden. My 16 GB Nexus is showing ~5.7 gb free. This thread: [HOW-TO] How to flash a factory image / return to stock / unlock / root # - xda-developers suggests factory resetting and if that doesnt work basically reflashing everything. Not sure how repeating the same steps would solve the space problem. Been flashing problem free for awhile, I don't know why 4.3 is giving me all these problems now.