10-06-2014 11:46 AM
117 123 ...
tools
    Hey guys,

Ok, I tried to read so many posts since yesterday, can't find a solution. This is my last resort (and first post) before sending my phone back.

I have a Nexus 4, 2 months old, unrooted and nothing done to it.
    Yesterday evening, 4.3 is pushed to my phone. I download it (OTA), and at the end of the installation, I get an error screen and it restarts installing. It loops like that 3-4 times (installing-error-installing-...) then it turns off.
    I switch it back on, and it just doesn't go past the X logo (yes I left it a long time to see). After a while, I just decide to do a hard reset. My data is on the cloud anyway.

I go to recovery mode, wipe to factory status, reboot.... nope, still stuck on X logo.

Now my main problem here, is that I saw a few suggestions on the forum.. BUT, I don't have USB debugging mode enabled since I've never rooted/done anything to my phone, and now I can't enable it since it won't go past the logo. When I connect my phone to the PC (win 7), I don't see it appear in my connected devices.

Any final suggestions? Is it hopeless?
    Thanks guys.
    07-27-2013 02:01 AM
    I'm having the same exact problem. I woke up this morning with the update having been pushed and downloaded and ready to install. But, when I installed it, I got the error message at the end, and now it's stuck endlessly looping the "Installing system update..." screen. The progress bar finishes rather quickly each time, then there are a few seconds of blank screen, then the update screen reappears.

At this point I haven't tried to manually turn off my phone yet... I'll probably try that soon. So, sorry that I couldn't provide an answer to your original post at all, but I thought I should report that I have pretty much the same problem. I'm a little surprised there aren't more people having this problem though...
    07-27-2013 03:24 AM
    To the OP. You don't need to be rooted to get the developer USB settings. Go into system settings/about phone/build number - press build number 7x to enable developer options. Then back one page to the now visible developer options and enable USB debugging mode.

Do some reading, at XDA-Developers website. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    07-27-2013 04:18 AM
    you are not alone, same problem. Although I probably know less tech stuff than you. I am supposed to be playing the guitar not fiddling with my phone
    07-27-2013 04:28 AM
    Thanks for the tip, but as I said, I CAN'T access my settings because I am stuck at the logo screen.

I did my homework and had a lot to read hehe
    07-27-2013 04:59 AM
    I'm experiencing the same problem upgraded to 4.3 and the device is stuck on the boot logo (X). i gave it a shut for overnight run (it got very warm) and nothing...
    i tried to hard reset via recovery deleted whatever i can. it's not a rooted device so i can't really do anything..
    07-27-2013 05:27 AM
    So I had the same issue and find the probelm:
    During upgrade to 4.3 the baseband/radio file is been updated as well BUT due to some reason (I think it is based on the location in the world - Carrier) the new baseband is stuck.
    What you must do is to download the old (4.2.2) baseband to the phone.This will fix the issue - Than the phone will cpontinue to boot normally....
    You should use Nexus Root Toolkit to do so.Under Advanced Utilites you will find the option to load Radio/BaseBand only.
    07-27-2013 06:05 AM
    I had the same problem. When upgrading to 4.3 my phone got stuck at the x logo. I tried the restart which is pressing the on/off button for more than 8 seconds. It served the function of taking away the battery for other phones. It got fixed and I am using 4.3 now!
    07-27-2013 06:24 AM
    Thanks for the tip, but as I said, I CAN'T access my settings because I am stuck at the logo screen.

I did my homework and had a lot to read hehe
    No you haven't done your homework. Look for CF Auto Root for your device and go from there. You really need to do some research on XDA.
    I was explaining an error on your part re USB debugging earlier.

07-27-2013 07:11 AM
    So I had the same issue and find the probelm:
    During upgrade to 4.3 the baseband/radio file is been updated as well BUT due to some reason (I think it is based on the location in the world - Carrier) the new baseband is stuck.
    What you must do is to download the old (4.2.2) baseband to the phone.This will fix the issue - Than the phone will cpontinue to boot normally....
    You should use Nexus Root Toolkit to do so.Under Advanced Utilites you will find the option to load Radio/BaseBand only.
    Hardly think this is good advice considering some of the skillsets with some of the people involved.

ChromeJob likes this.
    07-27-2013 07:13 AM
    So are we any closer to fixing our phones yet. tried the sideload ADB but cannot see the device in the recovery mode, remember cannot turn the phone on so cannot do USB Debugging enabled/disable.
    07-27-2013 07:31 AM
    @marathone:
    I mentioned that my phone is not being recognized by my computer.
    I tried to use Odin, I also tried every driver possible, uninstalled, reinstalled and it just doesn't appear in my connected devices.
    07-27-2013 08:14 AM
    I am having same problem. I was in the process of updating to 4.3. When the phone automatically restarted it froze at the x screen. I did a hard reset and it still freezes at the x screen. Hope we get an answer soon!
    07-27-2013 08:15 AM
    @marathone:
    I mentioned that my phone is not being recognized by my computer.
    I tried to use Odin, I also tried every driver possible, uninstalled, reinstalled and it just doesn't appear in my connected devices.
    Is this a Samsung? Odin afaik doesn't work on NeXus devices.

Methinks you folks having these issues will have to gain root in order to fix/install your backups. You did backup right?

07-27-2013 08:51 AM
    While I'm waiting for my original 4.3 notification, I saw this.

So, is this usb debugging mode something I should enable prior to accepting the update, just in case? I'm guessing that is somewhere in the settings. Are there any downsides to enabling this ? I'm not planning on rooting anytime soon.
    07-27-2013 08:56 AM
    While I'm waiting for my original 4.3 notification, I saw this.

So, is this usb debugging mode something I should enable prior to accepting the update, just in case? I'm guessing that is somewhere in the settings. Are there any downsides to enabling this ? I'm not planning on rooting anytime soon.
    yes do yourself a favour and enable USB debugging, if your phone won't start up in the usual manner you are gonna need to USB your way in. no downside.
    07-27-2013 09:09 AM
    I had same issue with nexus 4, and just solved it with blw steps. My phone was in debug mode before using ota to load the 4.3 version, BTW.

Pwr off the phone,
    Press pwr button + volume down button to enter fastboot mode
    When u see Start and a lying down android logo on screen, use volume button to select from Start to recovery mode, then press pwr button (meaning selection)
    Then the phone should reboot and re-enter the system updating page, and this time it successfully upgrades the system with 4.3 and gets into the desktop. All data is still there.

Hope it helps.
    deeje2, claudemoe_ and rajesh266 like this.
    07-27-2013 11:36 AM
    There is a new issue after upgrading to 4.3 that the home button is not working at all (Other android functions seem fine as of now).

Don't know if someone is seeing the same issue.
    07-27-2013 11:40 AM
    Those having this issue and not wanting to send the phone in... have you tried or considered trying installing the 4.3 factory image? The guide I wrote will walk you through it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...e-restore.html

It will fully wipe the device, but OP indicated this wasn't a big deal and he wiped it anyway, so it could be worth a shot. You'd just have to unlock the bootloader to flash the factory image, after which you could re-lock it just as easily.

Just throwing it in as an option.
    07-27-2013 11:59 AM
    I hope this will help some folks with this 4.3 update. All I did was to click on the upgrade in notifications (on the phone). I set it down and it upgraded all that was required and works fine. No problems whatsoever. It did all the rebooting on it's own. Hope yours is that easy.
    07-27-2013 12:27 PM
    Tried this. But then I just get Android lying on his side with the 'no command'.
    07-27-2013 01:01 PM
    All- I've tried everything and even called Google to help me walk through. They suggested I call LG or my provider after most suggestions on this page failed to get me back in my phone. Not that I give up easily but after spending half a day trying to get past the Nexus logo screen I called Tmobile and they are sending a new phone. Not going to say hope this helps because it doesn't solve the problem, but at least for those of you who are finally at their wits end you do have the option of getting a new phone
    07-27-2013 01:11 PM
    Yes, thanks everyone for the tips. Some good info in here that might help those stuck in the same situation.

Alas for me, I tried really everything, even your solution 2defmouze, but my phone just doesn't get recognized at all despite installing drivers. So last resort, I called Google (tip for those outside US: use Google voice from inside Gmail, it's free) and told them about the issue. The guy asked me to do another factory wipe, which didn't lead to anything, and so no questions asked, they will send a replacement.

Sorry this also doesn't offer any solution but appreciate the help.
    07-27-2013 01:17 PM
    Kind of similar thing happening to me ever since I did the update:

My phone is having connectivity issues. My messages are screwing up, and in a weird way. I'll send them (both on the normal messages app and on viber) and it won't show me that I've even clicked 'send', they'll just disappear, but the recipient will still get them. It's different though when I use the facebook messenger app, the messages won't even send.

It has nothing to do with my service provider: I can't connect to the internet, photo's and alarms won't save, when I click the microphone button on the messages part it says "Can't reach google at the moment" etc etc.

My Nexus is only a month and a half old and I have had no problems with it, just ever since I installed 4.3 yesterday. Seems like 4.3 has a buttload of problems. Anybody know what I can do?
    07-28-2013 08:30 AM
    I love all the amateur lion tamers with the neon blinking hats, jumping into the cage, claiming, "Hey, I read up on this, I think I know what to do, lemme give this a shot with a live, hungry lion...."

Okay, I'm going to sound like a tool here, but if you're not familiar with android-SDK, adb, etc, then perhaps you should NOT be factory resetting your phone, deleting Google Framework Services data, or trying other fastboot trickie-doos to get the update faster than you will anyway. 2DefMouze's tutorial is a great starting primer for unlocking and rooting a factory image device, and will get you accustomed to doing updates via adb (no factory reset required, folks). If you've NEVER done his tutorial, then I strongly urge you to stop frakking around with your phone and just wait for the OTA update. IT WILL COME. Wait for it!

Developers and reviewers and IT support people who need to see the new OS version have a need to update manually. If you're just a user or enthusiast, and aren't comfortable with Recovery mode, adb, fastboot, etc., just patiently wait for the OTA update, please.

Or ... go 'head. Screw with your device. Frak it up. Get stuck at the boot logo. What the 'ell, drop it on the toilet seat a couple of times, see which way it bounces. Then come here for help. We MIGHT be able to solve your frak up, but you'll need to give very detailed info about what you did.
    gone down south likes this.
    07-28-2013 12:23 PM
117 123 ...